PDA

View Full Version : do you need an hd tv to fully take advantage of blu-ray discs?

m0tl3sl4y3r
10-05-2009, 02:04 PM
I have yet to buy a blu-ray because I have heard that you can only fully enjoy the quality of blu-rays on an hdtv, which I don't have yet.

So my question is, do you need an hdtv to enjoy the quality of blu-ray or will you be able to enjoy the full quality of blu-ray on a normal tv, or should I just stick to dvds?

Dustin S.
17-05-2009, 12:00 AM
Full quality? No, simple as that.

However they are still a step up from DVD. The sound quality of Blu-ray is amazing on a home theater system, and before i owned an HDTV i bought Blu-ray purely for this reason. However after watching blu-ray on a HDTV its truly remarkable! The picture quality is just wow. For when you do get an HDTV i recomend Samsung, why? Because of seen all kinds of HDTV's and those truly look the best, they even outperform Sony.

The only problem i had with Blu-ray is my friend has an enourmous Sony HDTV and the way it looked was annoying. It was differnt and i guess really clear but it was way too much. It was like watching a home movie without the movie effect at all, made the movie really boring. It was cool for like 15 minutes, your sitting there "wow thats so cool!" then its becomes "ok i want the movie feel..."

Kiri
02-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Pioneer out performs Samsung a lot, but that's why they are a little expensive. It's the brand that global TV broadcasting studios use afterall.

I would get this top brand before the stores are out of them because they stopped their TV production earlier in April. They'll still support them though.

To acheive full effect, you'd also need a seperate room with the bst surround sound system equiped, which I recommend either boss or Pioneer.

glen421
03-06-2009, 04:46 PM
I have a Samung FPT 5084 (late 2007 model) and it performs well with the PS3 games and Blu-Ray. I do have to admit that I would like to see Killzone 2 on one of those LED Sammy's that have just come out. Also Sony has released the Z series LCD TV which has a lot of bells and whistle without the XBR price.

All I can say is do research before you purchase and don't forget it's what you want not what other people tell you to buy. Oh, there are some really good deals on good HDTV's now.

Dipchit02
04-06-2009, 12:40 AM
i would think that you woudl need an HD tv to fully experience Blu-ray but i mean im sure that blu-ray will look better on an SD tv than a DVD will but i do not know for sure

X_Racer1
10-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Blu-Ray movies and PlayStation 3 games don't have to be played on an HDTV to experience the difference HD makes, it will still look way better than DVD. I actually currently play my PlayStation 3 exclusively on an SD television albeit with a 5.1 surround sound system (Logitech X-540) and it still looks amazing, mainly because there's too many games coming out to spend the money I do have, so I don't have anything left over to save for a decent HD television. Although my dream setup would be a 60inch LCD LED backlight T.V with the Logtiech Z-5500 sound system and of course my PlayStation 3.

Dipchit02
10-06-2009, 12:53 PM
HOLY poopstain 60inch? are you trying to go blind or something? 52 is the biggest that i have played on and that is just fine i normally am playing on a 32

X_Racer1
13-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Like I said it's a dream setup, it's not probably going to happen for years or possibly never for me, I got too much other stuff to pay for including games, but hey I can dream, especially since I play on a 20 inch T.V. right now.

Dipchit02
15-06-2009, 12:45 AM
yea it woudl be nice but i just think it woudl be a littel to big. i was playing on a 52 inch LCD this weekend which was nice but i dont know how much bigger i woudl want to go but then again i have not played on the 60 inch TV yet

m0tl3sl4y3r
15-06-2009, 08:47 PM
yea it woudl be nice but i just think it woudl be a littel to big. i was playing on a 52 inch LCD this weekend which was nice but i dont know how much bigger i woudl want to go but then again i have not played on the 60 inch TV yet

man I play on a tiny little t.v, I wish I could afford a huge one, but I don't have the money because I start university in the fall

horizons
15-06-2009, 08:49 PM
I think yes, you really need a full hd tv to get anything out of a 1080p movie.
I really see a difference of a 720p and a 1080p video at least on my 46" sony x3000

Dipchit02
16-06-2009, 02:24 AM
Horizons:

I ahve heard that like anything under 40" you dont really need 1080 because you dont notice it to much. or it was some where around there i personally have not tested out this theory but that is just what i have been hearing from people

m0tl3sl4y3r:

the 52" TV that i was on is not mine it is my dads, i was back at parents place this weekend now i am back to my 720 32" TV which is still pretty nice

Jordan
17-06-2009, 11:55 AM
HOLY poopstain 60inch? are you trying to go blind or something? 52 is the biggest that i have played on and that is just fine i normally am playing on a 32

60 inches isn't too big if the room is large enough and you sit an appropriate distance from it. Tv's should be bought on the basis of room size anyways and not necessarily the bigger the better.

m0tl3sl4y3r
18-06-2009, 01:29 PM
Horizons:

I ahve heard that like anything under 40" you dont really need 1080 because you dont notice it to much. or it was some where around there i personally have not tested out this theory but that is just what i have been hearing from people

m0tl3sl4y3r:

the 52" TV that i was on is not mine it is my dads, i was back at parents place this weekend now i am back to my 720 32" TV which is still pretty nice

it's still way better than mine ( a lot better), mine's like 20, but my room's not that big, so I couldn't fit a bigger t.v into my room

gopikrishna54
01-07-2009, 03:43 AM
I have yet to buy a blu-ray because I have heard that you can only fully enjoy the quality of blu-rays on an hdtv, which I don't have yet.

So my question is, do you need an hdtv to enjoy the quality of blu-ray or will you be able to enjoy the full quality of blu-ray on a normal tv, or should I just stick to dvds?
Hi i saw u r question.

actually u need hdtv to enjoy the experience of blu-ray disc.

and ur dvd player also need compatable to play the blu-ray disc, if u have blu-ray disc dvd player, u can play the movie in normal tv but dvd player must be supported for blu-ray disc ok.

One thing U can Play the blu ray disc movies in ur pc but u need dvd writter its blu-ray disc supported u can play the movies with the software of smplayer go to google.com and search for smplayer and download it and install the software and play all types of video songs

X_Racer1
02-07-2009, 09:50 PM
SMPlayer is simply a front-end for the MPlayer software which doesn't fully support Blu-Ray discs yet, if you purchase a Blu-Ray drive for your PC it should come with the necessary software in the box for full Blu-Ray disc playback (and if it doesn't, you have been ripped off) but that wasn't what was being asked. We are all aware you need a Blu-Ray disc player to play Blu-Ray's, that's what the PlayStation 3 is for and as we all stated, while you won't get the absolute full experience of a Blu-Ray disc on an SDTV it will still make a difference hence it's worth the investment in Blu-Ray discs even if you can't afford the TV to go with it and hence you experience at least some of the difference Blu-Ray makes. While I realize your a new user here and possibly English is not your first language (Not trying to be insulting in any way, just making observations) I would suggest more carefully reading the responses by other users next time before posting, it helps prevent needless explanations and clutter on the forums. But on a more positive note, welcome to the forums.