PDA

View Full Version : Possible trouble for Sony

glen421
23-09-2009, 05:11 PM
G4 is reporting that Microsoft may try and purchase EA. This can be real bad news for Sony. Please read article here (http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/699421/Microsoft-Considering-Electronic-Arts-Takeover.html).

X_Racer1
23-09-2009, 05:36 PM
It's all speculation and if it came down to it, do you really think Microsoft wants to start another anti-competitive lawsuit or investigation since this would eliminate sports games from other consoles due to EA having the exclusive licenses and that would just bring hell to the gaming world. Plus no matter what, even if Microsoft buys them, they still have to provide support for the previous games they released on other systems and any decent EA shareholder would say that if Microsoft turns them into an 360 exclusive studio they would lose significant profits meaning why bother with the deal.

SaintAvi
23-09-2009, 05:45 PM
I dont think it'll happen, EA makes most of its profit from the PS3 last I heard, I'm pretty sure the board of directors and shareholders would realize they would be making less in the long run by going exclusive, not to mention all the money EA will lose on the Wii. On top of that I would just figure that EA might be a bit to big for microsoft to consume.

Nonetheless it is a scary proposition. But either way , personally speaking the first party Sony lineup would
still outclass MS should they ever acquire EA.

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/3083/dg71p3.jpg

xEN7xASSASSINx
23-09-2009, 05:50 PM
nahh i dont think this will happen either

m0tl3sl4y3r
23-09-2009, 06:15 PM
that would suck if that ended up happening, I don't think it will though
at least I don't want it to, then that would completely destroy my hopes for a rugby game to finally hit the PS3

SaintAvi
23-09-2009, 06:20 PM
A lot of their licenses would be gone or changed then, the NFL license would probably be up for Sega to grab again to resurrect the NFL 2k series amongst others.

X_Racer1
23-09-2009, 08:12 PM
Sega can't call it 2K, after all Take Two owns the name, hence why they created 2K Games with the naming rights and they would probably be bidding for any sports licenses that would free up if EA was ever bought out, then again Sony could step into the ring too, get some more competition going. As long as the sports was sorted out, I honestly could care less about EA going exclusive, I've got my good games from them, nothing they have published lately has me the least bit interested, well maybe Need For Speed: Shift but after the last few games and impressions from others, Gran Turismo 5 seems to be the absolute obvious choice to get, even if we don't have a release date yet.

Dustin S.
23-09-2009, 08:24 PM
If EA did somehow happen to go exclusive im done gaming. Screw bothering with it anymore, it would be the most stupid move in history. Microsoft would just make that "how bad do you annoy me" meter burst.

However if you think about it. One it would cause issues as stated, EA makes most of its money with Sony and has close relations with Sony, where is that gonna go? Why would MS even bother if all their games are already offered on the console? Then again its MS and they dont care about anyone but themselves in this market. Seriously though what would be the point? Its like having someone give you a game, then you turn around and say ill buy these games now so no one else can have them.

Along with that, while people like to pretend Activision is the leader in the industry, they are not. If you take away plastic periphals and crappy games no one plays, guess who no longer has a market share big enough to compete with anyone? EA is a HUGE company still and control a majority of the market, then suddenly out of no where MS is buying them?

Then again Disney just bought Marvel out of the blue and both companies were doing fine...

SaintAvi
23-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Well, current update from microsoft says that 'there is no truth to that speculation'

trediddy
23-09-2009, 08:33 PM
they are just trying to hide the speculation that it might be true

SaintAvi
23-09-2009, 09:07 PM
If they were trying to hide it they would just issue a 'no comment'

SDiMera
02-10-2009, 04:29 AM
I don`t think it will happen, still if it might I really don`t care most of EA`s games are not really a succes in my eyes take for example NFS Undercover very much error unrealistic game play and a crapy story line.

On the other hand their Command & Conquer franchise are good in my opinion like Red Alert 3.

Dustin S.
02-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Yeah but Need for Speed still has a strong following and is a huge seller. Need for Speed Shift is absolutely amazing, I tried it and WOW. To be honest it could easily push Gran Turismo aside by being so good.

Then you have all their sports franchises. Madden? NHL? etc...EA is HUGE and for them to go exclusive one way or another would destroy the opposing console for a while, hell the opposing console would probably go out of business and someone new would have to jump in.

While I hate Activision its the same story. You have Guitar hero (even with Rock Bang) Call of Duty and I dont know what else comes from them? While a company like Valve is a who cares, they got Half life and its not really mainstream, L4D but how many zombie games are there? etc...

J-Matt
07-10-2009, 12:09 PM
Its not going to happen EA will stay making games for both platforms due to the money they make the only thing they could only do is have timed exclusives out where 1 platform gets it out like a month be4 the other