PS3Center.net Discussion Boards

PS3Center.net Discussion Boards (http://www.ps3center.net/forums/index.php)
-   PlayStation 3 Discussion (http://www.ps3center.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   DC Mortal Kombat = Midway Doom!!! (http://www.ps3center.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3607)

EIN 07-12-2008 10:28 AM

DC Mortal Kombat = Midway Doom!!!

It was revealed last month that Midway's losses had doubled from 33.5 million to 76 million since September. The latest Midway game, DC vs Mortal Kombat was supposed to pull Midway out of the red. Instead, Sumner Redstone, the majority owner of Midway, has sold the company to an investor (Mark Thomas) for $100,000, or $0.0012 per share, along with the assumption of $70 million in debt. Midway shares dropped 13.16 percent, to $0.33 by the end of trading. Poor Midway now has less than six months to improve its standing in order to keeps its stocks listed. To do that, the company has to achieve the minimum closing price of $1 per share over 30 consecutive days!!! They're at 33 cents right now people!

What do you guys think? I for one think Midway, proud creators of NBA Jam on the SNES is going down!

svalbard 07-12-2008 08:29 PM

That is sad. I was shocked about the sale, but I can't say that I didn't see it coming. Most of their recently released games haven't had much commercial success or been reviewed well. I just don't think the company successfully made the transition to 3d. I hope they will be able to stay in business and have success, but I just don't see it happening.

Sauberbmw 08-12-2008 02:46 PM

i dont think midway will fall. they need a push in the right direction but if they do fall well.... i saw it coming.

Dustin S. 08-12-2008 04:51 PM

I see them becoming a Sega basically. They were good back in the day but not anymore, they just didnt change with demand and no longer can compete at a high level. So we will see midway alongside other companies in developing average games with a few surprises that pop up every now and then. I dont think midway is GONE but wont be "around" any longer.

EIN 10-12-2008 07:22 AM

Huh, you guys are pretty optimistic eh?
I actually don't see Midway coming back up EVER. Who's gonna buy up someone with so much toxic debt? If their stock gets delisted, how will they have any capital to work with?

Nick 10-12-2008 03:55 PM

Mortal Kombat VS DC will help them pull a little... but even since you've posted, their stocks value has nose dived to $.20.

As a big MK fan, it will be sad if they go - especially with this new project they have going that's supposedly a graphic power house.

Sauberbmw 10-12-2008 09:39 PM

they would probably fan out to produce other things like graphics cards or something

lloyd 16-12-2008 02:56 PM

I agree with svalbard on them not making the transition to 3D. They should go back and make a simple 2D MK. it's their most popular series so it has better chances of pulling them out of the nasty hole they are in. I mean look at Street Fighter 4, it proves a 2D fighter can be huge, and I do believe there's still somewhat of a demand for a good MK game. But, it's probably too late for something like that, sadly.

EIN 17-12-2008 10:00 AM

Well, as of this morning, Midway has cut 25% (180 peole) of its staff, and closed its studio based in Texas. Midway only has about 600 employees left, and has canceled several non-core franchise games that were scheduled for 2010 and 2011. Their stock has dropped 92% this year

Stock is still at 20 cents... little chance they're gonna make it over the 1 dollar mark to stay listed.
Mortal Kombat is facing a FATALITY

inferno1321 17-12-2008 06:56 PM

they're going to be kinda like Atari is now. Atari still exists but it has bounced around owners and hasn't really done much for some time now.

Mr. 33 20-12-2008 12:45 AM

Well i saw it coming, as soon as i saw the not rated "m" logo on dc universe, but you never can only wait and see.

EIN 21-12-2008 11:29 AM

Factor 5 is gone now too... sad sad times ahead for gaming

inferno1321 22-12-2008 12:01 PM

and now Free Radical...

SaintAvi 07-01-2009 01:25 PM

Midway was not that surprising to me, midway in my opinion has been synonymous with
mediocrity for a looong time now barring one or two exceptions

EIN 07-01-2009 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaintAvi (Post 35065)
Midway was not that surprising to me, midway in my opinion has been synonymous with
mediocrity for a looong time now barring one or two exceptions

like...?

I agree with the mediocrity part though... I never took MK as a serious fighter, but their NBA JAM series was gold

fLoOn34 13-01-2009 04:50 PM

Yah, what do you expect when you take a mature game and dweebifiy it down to a teen rating?

That's like trying to make the next Terminator or Saw movie PG13.

Instead of making the fatalities a freaking joke, they should have just taken them out completely.

Hopefully they'll stick around long enough for a completely new MK with blood and gore (what carried them this entire time), so it sells well enough for them to get back on their feet.

EIN 26-01-2009 07:27 PM

lol they're going at it again
http://www.ps3center.net/news/2208/m...-kombat-title/

When will Midway learn?!

Oh btw, as of right now their shares are at 0.24$... which is up 9% lol....

Joshua 29-01-2009 12:51 PM

Booom Shakalaka!!

NBA Jam = WIN

MK vs. DC = FAIL

you guys have said it all, and the public has said all it needs to say in not purchasing what is, at best, a mediocre fighter