PS3Center.net Discussion Boards

PS3Center.net Discussion Boards (http://www.ps3center.net/forums/index.php)
-   PlayStation 3 Discussion (http://www.ps3center.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Sony responds to Activision (http://www.ps3center.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5790)

SaintAvi 19-06-2009 02:27 PM

Sony responds to Activision

So EA as of late has stopped looking so evil and have redeemed themselves
in many gamers eyes, taking risks and launching new IP's like deadspace
and Brutal Legend. Activision however seems intent on picking up the reins
on being the industry jackass.

They recently took a shot at the PS3 and to make a long story short said
that they may stop supporting it in the coming years because they perceive
it as being hard to develop for, and oh yeah drop the price while you are at it.
This is not the first time Activision have criticized the PS3, coming right off of
E3 and voicing disappointment in not getting a price drop.

I spoke of this at length in the AntiAliasing thread but I pretty much
called activision hypocrites for pointing the finger of price at anyone
when they themselves rely so heavily on selling games bogged down with
accessories that hit the $100 mark and continue past it.

Well sony have responded to Activision and I've got to give them some
credit for being as civil as they were, given I would not expect a public
condemnation of the company like they may deserve in at least my eyes
it reads.

Quote:

"PlayStation has tremendous momentum coming out of E3, and we are seeing positive growth with more than 350 titles slated to hit across all our platforms, including many anticipated games from our publishing partners," said Playstation spokesman Patrick Seybold. "We enjoy healthy business relationships with and greatly value our publishing partners and are working closely with them to deliver the best entertainment experience."
With games like God of War, Uncharted and Last Guardian on the horizon,
buying Guitar Hero 12.5:Rick Astley Edition is the last thing on my mind.

What's your 2cents on this

Nick 19-06-2009 04:20 PM

As much as guys like us are into games like Uncharted, Last Guardian, etc., they just aren't big sellers like Activision's stuff. It's an absolute necessity for the PS3 to retain the big name franchises, like Guitar Hero and Call of Duty. The general public eats these games up, both franchises are multi-million sellers with each entry into the franchise. Regardless of whether they are technically better games, Sony's first party games(Gran Turismo aside) just don't put up the numbers of COD or GH.

Regardless, Activision won't drop support for the PS3, it just doesn't make financial success. They still make a boatload off of Sony, what they are proposing is like giving up sex entirely because you don't think you're getting as much sex as you should be.

Dipchit02 19-06-2009 04:21 PM

i really just think that Activision is just bluffing i mean seriously how much moneyz do they make off the PS3 ALOT i mean there isnt quite the sales on PS3 as there is 360 for COD4 and stuff but still it sells really well

X_Racer1 19-06-2009 04:27 PM

I wouldn't call EA a publisher reformed, they have tried some new things but they just won't let some die and they won't get things through their heads like we don't want Secu-ROM on our games, but that's PC so I won't go any further, plus it's not like EA is innocent of the useless plastic accessories, the new Beatles Rockband set will be over $200. Activision though is going downhill and fast, I mean how many Guitar Hero's do you need, why not just release more DLC instead and that new Tony Hawk game is a walking disaster, over $100 for the board and it's required to play, you aren't allowed to use a DualShock 3/Sixaxis. Activision's one saving grace is they have allowed some of their games the time to be developed, like the Call of Duty series and the new Modern Warfare series, each game spends 2 years in development. Is Activision going to become what EA was and EA still is, probably not, will they come close, I'm sure they will, they are already getting there.

trediddy 19-06-2009 04:46 PM

Why are they complaining to drop the price of the ps3 anyways

Dipchit02 19-06-2009 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trediddy (Post 43435)
Why are they complaining to drop the price of the ps3 anyways

yea i dont fully understand why they are complaining about the price but still what difference would more PS3's have to do with the attachment rate? cuz itsnt aht what they were complaining about was the attach rate of the PS3?

SaintAvi 19-06-2009 05:09 PM

They complain about the price because price effects how many people pick up the console,
which in turn effects the size of their potential audience

Dipchit02 19-06-2009 05:25 PM

yeah they want more PS3's sold but so does Sony i mean honestly they want wat is good for them but but Sony has to do what is best for them as well. but still i dont think a publisher should be coming out with comments like this.

Dustin S. 19-06-2009 05:41 PM

To me the way he said it is not complete support, its "we like you Sony but we are gonna go full xbox and give you ports" however by 2011 there will be a price drop so no need to worry.

To me personally (not looking at the big picture) i dont own a single Activision game except COD4 and soon to be COD6(sorry ein lol). Thats it. I HATE all of Activisons crappy movie games, i hate Guitar Hero (love Rock band) and i just dont see quality in any of their games. Even Prototype, the one game that i thought "yeah its Activison but its going to kick absolute ass" failed for me. However Nick is right, the game still sold and their games still sold. They are a great developer for certain reasons and i can understand that, but i dont see how or why they would leave Sony just because they are not meeting Price drop demands. The whole "well we sell less games" theory is wrong. Xbox sales are slowing, PS3 is doing great over seas, and PS3 is not lagging terribly. Whats next "Sony better charge for online or we will leave"?

If its EA id be a little more worried, they know how to sell things big time. We are on what GH5 now? And now GH DJ? EA is on Rock Band 2 and has a huge online DLC support list, Rock Band 3 i believe will be out next year but they improve it and support the old, hell they support GH even. EA has 4 titles i want (NFS, Battlefield, Army of Two, Dragon Age) like i said Activision i want COD6 and ill be happy. I believe they are probably factoring in Blizzard when they say Activision is now top dog....

Dipchit02 19-06-2009 05:57 PM

yea i mean the install base of the PS3 is great at this point in its life than the 360s was so what is everyones problem with how the PS3 is selling

SaintAvi 19-06-2009 06:04 PM

That may be the case but on a week by week basis the Xbox 360 outsells the PS3 by
10,000 units, which at that rate is 40,000 a month, and nearly half a million a year.

Dustin S. 19-06-2009 06:08 PM

If you take into account over sea's sales Sony equals it out though. Yes no one can technicly afford a PS3 at this time, especially with 360 selling a crap version of their console for less (i say that because i almost bought an arcade only to realise its nadda).

However Sony just started to make a profit on each console sold, in fact i think they are equal with price and cost to make. Why should they dip down another 100 bucks if they dont need to? I say they do what i said a while ago, Holiday Price Cut! Then go back up in January.

Dipchit02 19-06-2009 06:09 PM

but how come we didnt really hear about this stuff being said about the Xbox when the PS2 as selling WAY more than it was?

Dustin S. 19-06-2009 06:15 PM

Thats completely true as well. I think its because Sony has been the leading company for the past two generations, and Sony is extremely good at marketing games and selling games with their consoles. I believe the developers and what not are just witnessing a change and dont like it.

PS2 completely blew away Xbox and continues to compete with 360, now thats just awesome.

SaintAvi 19-06-2009 06:18 PM

The xbox1 was a newcomer to the console race and it did about as well as could be expected.

As far as lowering the price for the holiday, I agree, but then raising it right after is not
something I expect them to do and would require some serious balls. The only
way they would be able to pull it off would have them revisit what they did back in
2007, dropping the price of one SKU while introducing a new one at the pre-drop price point,
and then never produce any more of the cheaper SKU.

With the slim being all but confirmed, I think a permanent price drop is what is in the cards.

Dipchit02 19-06-2009 06:40 PM

yea but didnt the PSone sell just fine like better than the Xbox did in comparison?

Dustin S. 19-06-2009 06:53 PM

PS1 sold 102 million units and it was in direct competition with the N64 (came out earlier too and was well known) which sold around 100 million units, give or take.

Nick 19-06-2009 07:14 PM

N64 sold that much? At any rate, the N64 came out in 1996, 2 years after the PS1/Saturn. Why are we talking about PS1 compared to XBoxes?

Dustin S. 19-06-2009 07:30 PM

I got it from Wiki Quote and it had years listed starting at 91...I just tallied them up

However i think a comment someone made in the other AA topic is very well said. Activision wants a price drop so they can sell over price periphals.

SaintAvi 19-06-2009 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustin S. (Post 43466)
Thats completely true as well. I think its because Sony has been the leading company for the past two generations, and Sony is extremely good at marketing games and selling games with their consoles. I believe the developers and what not are just witnessing a change and dont like it.

PS2 completely blew away Xbox and continues to compete with 360, now thats just awesome.

Im going to have to disagree with you on Sony being good at marketing their
games, I think they've done a very bad job actually up until inFamous. Killzone2
for example had virtually zero ads and commercials going up to release