PS3Center.net Discussion Boards

PS3Center.net Discussion Boards (http://www.ps3center.net/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Support (http://www.ps3center.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Brand new PS3 dead? (http://www.ps3center.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4565)

awesome-o 19-03-2009 04:42 AM

Brand new PS3 dead?

Well, I purchased a new PS3 on Saturday the 14th... Today I was just playing killzone 2 and suddenly I lose sound. I do not pay much attention to that, thinking "Oh, I probably sat on my TV remote..."

I then get a notification to charge my controller. So I plug the controller in and then my PS3 freezes...

I turn it off, then try to turn it back on. It sort of comes to life by showing me a shiny green light. That's it. Nothing on the screen, no sound. Turned it off by holding the power button (i/o) for about 10 seconds, then turned it back on, and the same green light appears like everything is fine. I checked all the cables. Tried a different HDMI cable from another TV, tried another TV, but still the same green light with no picture or sound. Also tried the cables that came with the PS3, did not help. My controller also does not want to sync with the system, if that matters.

Is there anything that I can do before sending it in back to Sony?

Michal 20-03-2009 01:00 PM

Turn off your console and press the power button, however I want you to hold the button until you hear a 2nd beep. This will reset the PS3.

If nothing helps then it may possibly be defective. If you had bought the console on the 14th, then doesn't the retailer have a 30 day return policy? I'd simply to exchange it there.

SaintAvi 25-03-2009 09:48 PM

Yea just a headsup, always try holding the power button, flipping the switch can wreak
all sorts of havok on your HD

lloyd 26-03-2009 03:06 AM

Umm.. not trying to hijack the thread or anything but what kind of havoc? My PS3 freezes up on me a lot when first starting it and I have to flip the switch to get it to turn off.

Shak 26-03-2009 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lloyd (Post 37620)
Umm.. not trying to hijack the thread or anything but what kind of havoc? My PS3 freezes up on me a lot when first starting it and I have to flip the switch to get it to turn off.

Flipping the switch of from the back is a major cause of YLOD i.e. motherboard/PSU failure. So if a game freezes, hold down the power button (the touch one) and it will beep 3 times and shut down it self. Then you can flick the switch from the back without problem.

@awesom-o - I can think your PS3 is bricked (most likely a software issue, i.e. bricked).

If it is bricked, there is something you can do, if your PS3 fails to load the XMB.

1. (with the PS3 on standby) hold down the power button for 10 seconds until you hear three beeps.

2. Press the PS button on the controller and the recovery menu will load.

3. Use the recovery menu to unbrick your PS3 by installing a firmware update or restore PS3 system.

Let me know if it works, if it doesn't, call Sony, you are still under warranty.