PS3Center.net Discussion Boards

PS3Center.net Discussion Boards (http://www.ps3center.net/forums/index.php)
-   PlayStation Network (http://www.ps3center.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Microsoft's attempt to counter Home? (http://www.ps3center.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5590)

glen421 08-06-2009 06:00 PM

Microsoft's attempt to counter Home?

Did anybody see the Microsoft E3 press conference when they showed of Facebook integration with XBOX Live? I know we have Home but I would like to see some of that on PSN. Wouldn't you? I would also like to see some Netflix love as well. Maybe Hulu? OK so the topic of this thread should be we see what Microsoft is doing so should Sony follow? If no, do you think there will be repercutions for not, or do you think that Microsoft is doing all their social integration to counter Home?

Dipchit02 08-06-2009 06:03 PM

you do realize that you can get to hulu and you can get to facebook and you can get Myspace and you can get to twitter and you get to a bunch of other free movie site on the PS3 right? why do you need Netflix when you can watch movies for free from you PS3? and the facebook integration is like a waterdown face book where you can like only see your messages and stuff where as on PS3 you can play most of the little flash games and stuff.

X_Racer1 10-06-2009 11:50 AM

Remember one thing about Hulu, unless you live in the United States you're not allowed to watch anything on it, so you're only choice is YouTube or downloading, which is annoying since everything has to be split into parts and you're constantly trying to find episodes or you have to deal with the throttled downloading speeds. Should Sony integrate Netflix streaming, yes and make it available to everyone since Hulu can't be bothered. Facebook integration, unnecessary, as Dipchit02 pointed out, you can already log into Facebook from your PlayStation 3 and for me I can't stand Facebook and will never have an account, no MySpace either.

Dipchit02 10-06-2009 12:58 PM

i didnt realize that if you werent in the US you couldnt watch Hulu that thought had never crossed my mind. but there are plenty of sites online that have a TON of movies for free. site kinda like Tv-links

Nikhil 10-06-2009 05:22 PM

ninjavideo.net has nearly every tv show out there, as well as a ton of movies. It's all high quality divx too, so it'll play on your ps3.

Dustin S. 10-06-2009 05:43 PM

I was laughing during this part of the presentation. Why not just friggin announce a browser? Like someone stated, PS3 already has ALL of those features and FULL features since PS3 Launched. Im pretty sure, myspace, youtube, facebook, twitter are all linked right from the home page. If you havent been on in a while (like me) the browser if friggin fast now lol.

As for Netflix ill pass. Dont you have to pay to use netflix streaming and all that? I rather just jump into the store (like now) say hey there is osmething i want lets watch it. Let alone Sony gets Sony movies exclusive, they dont offer them on netflix. If its like Blockbuster where its brought to us by Blockbuster, but thats just so we have a bigger selection (no subscription fee) then im all in. As of now though how could you not be happy with the selection we have? Sony is a movie studio after all.

Also like Nikhil said, Ninjavideo and all those sites like that work with PS3. I do this alot. Go to a site that has streaming movies and shows etc, then just push play. PS3 renders them extremely fast. Ive watched so many full length movies like that and tv shows.

Nikhil 10-06-2009 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustin S. (Post 41891)
I was laughing during this part of the presentation. Why not just friggin announce a browser? Like someone stated, PS3 already has ALL of those features and FULL features since PS3 Launched. Im pretty sure, myspace, youtube, facebook, twitter are all linked right from the home page. If you havent been on in a while (like me) the browser if friggin fast now lol.

As for Netflix ill pass. Dont you have to pay to use netflix streaming and all that? I rather just jump into the store (like now) say hey there is osmething i want lets watch it. Let alone Sony gets Sony movies exclusive, they dont offer them on netflix. If its like Blockbuster where its brought to us by Blockbuster, but thats just so we have a bigger selection (no subscription fee) then im all in. As of now though how could you not be happy with the selection we have? Sony is a movie studio after all.

Also like Nikhil said, Ninjavideo and all those sites like that work with PS3. I do this alot. Go to a site that has streaming movies and shows etc, then just push play. PS3 renders them extremely fast. Ive watched so many full length movies like that and tv shows.

Yeah, I also found it kinda funny that MS was announcing these "revolutionary" features that have been available on the PS3 since launch lol.

Dipchit02 11-06-2009 02:44 AM

lol they said it was "revolutionary"? that is really funny but they did actually integrate them into Live but still not that great if you ask me. and yea i LOVE watching movies and TV shows on my PS3. Do you guys have a probloem with the PS3 freezing sometimes when you stream videos for a while?

Dustin S. 11-06-2009 03:59 AM

There are sometimes when the site itself isnt working properly but other than that i just go to another site and stream from there. Its so fast if you have ethernet though, kills Wifi. Sadly im stuck using wifi....

Dipchit02 12-06-2009 12:16 AM

ouch can you not get ethernet out by your house?

Dustin S. 12-06-2009 02:33 AM

Well my PS3 and Modem are in opposite ends of the house lol. I dont want to strand (or spend the money on) a ethernet cable that long. I just got the best Netgear router there is instead, works well for gaming but not downloading.

Dipchit02 12-06-2009 05:26 PM

o ok just slow at downloading but as long as it works for gaming i guess that isnt to bad

SaintAvi 12-06-2009 08:09 PM

I think Home is waaay different than facebook/twitter integration.

Apples and oranges even.

That said the focus of home and the facebook/twitter integration is not along the same
lines, I'd view it more as Microsoft trying to make the Xbox seem to be a console
with real functions outside of gaming where as Home is all about further delving into
content of your favorite titles

glen421 15-06-2009 02:38 PM

SaintAvi you make an excellent point.

I was really looking at from the standpoint as to what the purposes are, which is "social networking" I believe.

The reason I started this thread is to see what our community thought of the xbox facebook/twitter integration and could it be an attempt to bring in big "social networking" names to sale more console. I don't know if Home is working out as Sony as planned.

SignOfZodiac 15-06-2009 03:31 PM

What SCE needs to do is drop rentals of SD movies to $.99 cent and HD to $1.99. Fix the browser on the system, and be able to dis-able Playstation 3 style sites.

glen421 15-06-2009 03:34 PM

Your not asking for much there SignofZodiac. I live in Odenton,MD not to far from Baltimore.

Dustin S. 15-06-2009 04:09 PM

With Redbox there is absolutely no reason for rentals to be above 1 dollar. You get them for a day anyways....You pay 5 dollars at blockbuster for 7 days, you pay 5 dollars on PS3 to watch it 3 times within 24 hours...I completely agree, 99 cents for non HD and 1.99 for HD. Id be renting more for sure. Otherwise ill stick with Blockbuster and Redbox.

Thats kinda off topic. HOMe is growing, and its getting better. There are alot of users finally jumping in to use it thanks to the new places. Developers are jumping on board and paying Sony to make locations. I think its really the first step into things like Free Realms making their way to PS3. Why i say this is because HOME is keeping PSN FREE, the sub chargers, people paying for stupid little things, all of it is making Sony just as much (and has potential to blow away) as the amount of MS getting for Live, except its rewarding for both the consumer and Sony.

To me Xbox announcing a Twitter and Facebook thing is just their way of saying "we have features like PS3 making it more than a console!" right now. I think in the feature consoles will for sure focus more on social networking, but Sony is way further in that route than MS right now. I must say i appreciate Sony's attempt alot more (no not because this is a PS3 fan site) but think about it. They are revolving the social networking features around games. You click twitter, the playstation twitter is the first link, you go in home and its fully functional thanks to game developers, its not like that on Xbox.

I get a PlayStation to play games, everything else is a bonus. Since Sony is taking the route of making games accesible in a social network world thats where ill go. Xbox is potentially bypassing it all together, so they better be careful.

glen421 15-06-2009 04:40 PM

Awesome response Dustin S. I think maybe the gaming industry is looking at Apple and what they are charging for movies. So they follow the bouncing ball.

I too think that MS is trying to say "hey look what we got compared to Sony" but MS should be careful how they tread on this. It seems in attempt to counter Home's social asspect that they are ostrisiznig (not sure if I spelled that right) the developers as Sony includes them. Also, the xbox lacks a browser which I think hurts them as much as lack of a HD disc drive. Which I can't understand why MS doesn't have some sort of browser in it's gaming console.

I have a facebook page and a twitter account which I access using a PC not a gaming console.

Again good response. Let's keep the discussion going.

Dipchit02 16-06-2009 02:32 AM

yeah i still cant understand why 360 doesnt have a Browser i mean its not like Microsoft doesnt have a browser that they have made and could just change a few things presto there you go browser for 360. also with they facebook and Twitter integration they are allowing you to like upload pictures from your games to share with friends (at least that is what i thought i heard at the press conference). but it also sounded like it was "watered down" version of facebook with only messages and updates

Dustin S. 16-06-2009 03:03 PM

Its a "new interface" for facebook and twitter. Basically its intregrated into live so you login to both Live and whatever, then you can sit there and watch updates. Possibly update yourself with a controller keyboard, I don't think 360 has mouse and keyboard support like PS3?

Plus you can do that with PS3 too, the only problem is devs are once again not using the feature. PS3 allows you to take pictures and even videos and save them to the hard drive, you could even go to Youtube and upload your videos. There are games that allow this but i forgot which ones. MGS4 allows pictures, and then the internet browser allows you to upload those to some websites.

I also like what Glen said because its true, and basically what i said earlier too haha. The xbox intregration in no way supports developers. The thing i dont get about "exclusives" when MS pays off somebody, is Sony has been paying devs for a while now. Sony created HOME to be developer advertisment run, and they continue to build features specificly for developers to get their games out there. That alone is worth millions to me, yet MS has NONE of this support and can get away with handing a check under that table to secure Metal Gear Ultimate Ninja Action (but we will call it Solid) game.