PS3Center.net Discussion Boards

PS3Center.net Discussion Boards (http://www.ps3center.net/forums/index.php)
-   PlayStation 3 Discussion (http://www.ps3center.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Rumor: PlayStation 3 may be getting Firefox (http://www.ps3center.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7494)

X_Racer1 19-11-2009 01:40 PM

Rumor: PlayStation 3 may be getting Firefox

Well we are all familiar with the problems the PlayStation 3 browser can have but if the latest rumors are true, Sony and Mozilla might be working to bring the Firefox browser to the PlayStation 3. It would definitely be a welcome sight to replace the current browser.

m0tl3sl4y3r 19-11-2009 01:52 PM

that would be a great improvement over the ****ty browser that the PS3 has now, I just got Firefox 3.5.5 and its definitely a lot smoother running than the PS3 browser which isn't saying much but Firefox will definitely be welcome on the PS3
hopefully this is true

xEN7xASSASSINx 19-11-2009 03:50 PM

meh theres good and bad to this! yes we would be getting a good browser, but firefox has RAM issues and a habbit of trying to give itself as much ram as possible sometimes upto a 1gb!! so if they dont fix that on the ps3 there could be some serious ps3 failures lol! but in all seriousness im sure it will be all good :D

Jordan 19-11-2009 03:55 PM

I'd prefer safari! haha

X_Racer1 19-11-2009 03:59 PM

Well the Mozilla foundation also has Fennec for mobile phones in beta so they know how to create a browser designed for platforms with limited resources so any PlayStation 3 browser might use technology from Fennec since it doesn't have the same kind of computing power as a normal everyday PC, they definitely can't just bring Firefox they way it is currently over to PlayStation 3.

Oh yes, Jordan, Safari is fine if you have a Mac but on Windows, Safari is terrible software, right up there with iTunes for Windows and Quicktime (luckily QuickTime Alternative exists), plus Apple is slow to patch security holes in Safari, at least Firefox is quick at it and you have the potential to patch it yourself if you wanted to plus they don't deny when there's a problem, or just quietly patch it up.

Jordan 19-11-2009 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X_Racer1 (Post 52891)
Well the Mozilla foundation also has Fennec for mobile phones in beta so they know how to create a browser designed for platforms with limited resources so any PlayStation 3 browser might use technology from Fennec since it doesn't have the same kind of computing power as a normal everyday PC, they definitely can't just bring Firefox they way it is currently over to PlayStation 3.

Oh yes, Jordan, Safari is fine if you have a Mac but on Windows, Safari is terrible software, right up there with iTunes for Windows and Quicktime (luckily QuickTime Alternative exists), plus Apple is slow to patch security holes in Safari, at least Firefox is quick at it and you have the potential to patch it yourself if you wanted to plus they don't deny when there's a problem, or just quietly patch it up.

Nah, I used to use safari on PC and it was much faster than firefox and internet explorer. Itunes is great for windows as well.

Dipchit02 19-11-2009 10:47 PM

i was happy when i saw this earlier today and thought finally i will be able to everything and wont get the please use an updated browser to view this page or soemthing like that

glen421 20-11-2009 12:12 PM

I think this has been debunked....Not going to happen according to Mozilla

saxxon20 20-11-2009 06:30 PM

Yep that is what I read this afternoon.

PS3Freebie 24-11-2009 02:27 PM

the ps3 browser does need a little improvement i guess.

X_Racer1 24-11-2009 09:16 PM

No need to continue this thread, Mozilla already confirmed Firefox is not coming to the PlayStation 3, end of story.