Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > PlayStation Chat > PlayStation 3 Games
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 07-03-2010   #1
PCN Master
PSN ID: m0tl3ysl4y3r
Sony files for patent of demos that "erode over time"

basically, Sony is filing a patent for demos that erode over time. The more someone plays the demo, the more it tries to get them to buy the full version.
I'm surprised it took this long for someone to come up with this idea, although I think its just another way for them to get people to spend more money
discuss your opinions
Old 07-03-2010   #2
PCN Senior
PSN ID: xEN7xASSASSINx
i seen this via n4g, and people were saying its dumb and will make them mad rather than wanna buy the game(althought they could be 360 fanboys)

i think its a kinda good idea, although when i heard "degradable" i thought maybe it deletes itself after a certain while. But yeah i think its kinda cool! im guessing it will only be used for say PSN titles though? i mean forget downloading a full game as the demo for it to degrade in features for you to pay for an unlock code, would take to long

i cant see it being used for current types of demo's either.. unless they give you more in order to degrade it :)
Old 07-03-2010   #3
PCN Master
PSN ID: Dipchit02
yeah it seemed cool with you having the whole game unlocked from the begining and then more and more of the gets chipped away as you play the game. I like it because then you get to see what the "full game" feels like at first to help make a decision
Dipchit02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010   #4
Staff
This is actually a great idea, it's like what that Jason Rubin was talking about on Bonus Round. This is basically one of the things that Sony had on that PSN premium survey, would be cool, and would probably get a lot more people interested in more games.
Shak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010   #5
PCN Senior
PSN ID: xEN7xASSASSINx
yeah i agree guys! but if its a standard game released in shops and stuff, you wouldnt wanna wait for it to completely download? hench why i think it will end up being PSN titles or demo's will just be bigger
Old 07-03-2010   #6
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
If it was full games, not only would you have the download problem (up here in Canada, 2 games at 25GB downloads would consumer over 2/3 of my home Internet plan bandwidth), you would have the space problem, going on the average 25GB Blu-Ray disc game, 4 PlayStation 3 console models could hold less than 4 games and even the 250GB would only be able to hold 9, that's not including any other game installs, music, movies, DLC, etc.

No, this concept will apply to PSN games which I find nice. Rather than get cut off at one arbitrary point you get a much better taste of the game and as things get harder or things go missing then you either encouraged to buy or delete the demo, I have quite a few old demos on my system because they provided enough for me not to bother buying the game, Mushroom Wars, Digger HD, Worms, etc.

The only way full games could have demos like this would be to start using demo discs again, like back on the PlayStation 2.
Old 25-03-2010   #7
"The New Guy"
RE:Sony files for patent of demos that erode over time

Hi m0tl3sl4y3r,

Well dude,I am not fully aware with the case and specification of Sony material which is widely used.There are different patent of demos described here in this post.I hope all other can conclude the best options with their knowledge and experience in that process.

Thanks