Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form
 



Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > PlayStation Chat > PlayStation 3 Games
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009   #1
"The New Guy"
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 17
Activision defends Modern Warfare 2 price

Quote:
Super publisher reassures retail over Modern Warfare 2's ?54.99 RRP

Giant publisher Activision has defended its decision to slap a ?55 RRP on Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, insisting the game justifies the price tag.


Some retailers had previously expressed concern to MCV over the effect the price ? which is ?5 more expensive than regular Xbox 360 and PS3 titles ? would have on cash-strapped consumers over the Christmas period (MCV 17/07).


And Activision is set to launch a series of premium-priced products this Christmas, including DJ Hero and Tony Hawk: Ride, both of which come with peripherals and cost around ?100.


However, the firm finally broke its silence on these controversial price points this week, reassuring the trade it was confident that consumers will pay premium prices for these games ? and still feel they were getting bang for their buck.


?The question is what represents value for money,? Activision?s UK managing director Andrew Brown told MCV.



?At the end of the day, there is a spectrum of what people can afford and what people are prepared to spend. These things are key.
?Is what I am buying supplying me sufficient value for money and can I afford it? If so then I will buy it.
?This is an industry where things cost a lot to develop and it?s a risky business. We talk about building franchises; it is very expensive to do this from every respect. What we are finding is that for the right products, if you look at the time someone will spend playing something and compare it to something else, people are saying it?s worth it.


?There?s nothing in life that isn't price elastic. Price at retail changes all the time depending on how successful a product is or isn?t. I think there is a lot of controversy over I don?t know what.?
Brown?s comments echo similar opinions from fellow publisher bosses, whose products are feeling the pinch from tough exchange rates and record development costs.


One figurehead at a publisher?s UK HQ added: ?If you look at the amount it costs to see a movie at the cinema or play a DVD, you watch it once and you?re done. A ?55 game is far better value for money.?
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is released on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC on November 10th. MCV revealed last week that it will be backed by a heavy-duty marketing push.


Source

Blah blah blah is all I can say. Those greedy *******s should go bankrupt.

I wont be buying it anyway. Not into COD at all. I hope people wouldnt buy it and only pirate it. That should teach them a lesson
__________________
winnin $$$ at gamersaloon.com
slappy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009   #2
SuperStaff
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,118
PSN ID: soldierone
Wasnt it activision that started the whole "games should be 60 dollars because its hard to make them" deal? Now they want to push prices up again? You know it takes a TON of effort to make Transformers, it was really hard to reboot Batman, and several other movies are trying to create franchises yet the only time ticket prices change for those is when the value of money fluctuates...We didnt see a 5 dollar extra price tag to see Transformers did we?

And by reading this he is basically saying "we will take all the money out of your wallet if you let us" so dont let them.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009   #3
PCN Master
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Trenton, On
Posts: 1,805
PSN ID: m0tl3ysl4y3r
honestly, it is expensive but we are the people who still buy the games.
they are probably just doing this because they know that a ton of people will buy MW2 so they wanna make as much of a profit as possible of this game
its dumb I know but a lot of people will still buy it so I guess its not totally their fault
__________________
Go Montreal Canadiens
m0tl3sl4y3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009   #4
SuperStaff
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,118
PSN ID: soldierone
No offense to IW at all, but it was probably twice as hard to make Killzone 2, Uncharted, or even Gran Turimo and none of those see price hikes at all. They release one game every so many years, Acti has COD EVERY year with millions of buyers from BOTH consoles. Sure its expensive but you telling me thats not making up for it? If its not then your people are over paid *caugh Kotick*caugh*

Personally IW is the only game im buying and its because im trading in games to get it, so no money lost for me.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009   #5
PCN Senior
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Trenton, Canada
Posts: 371
PSN ID: jordan123x
The price does not matter. It's about value. If you see the value then buy it and if you don't see the value, don't buy it. If it were $100 I would still see the value for myself personally. It's like that with every product out there. Value, Value, Value. Take a Mercedes for example. Are they expensive? Yes. Overpriced? No, because people still buy them. You see it's impossible for something to be overpriced and succeed in the market. You don't see the value? That's okay with me but I see your post as a rant about a game you don't even like. Very useless.

'nuff said. Seriously though that's really all that needs to be said. If that came across as a rant that's probably because it is.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009   #6
PCN Master
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 1,689
PSN ID: SaintAvi
It is still going to sell loads which is going to set a bad precedent and no doubt only
welcome more releases debuting at that price.
SaintAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009   #7
PCN Master
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Trenton, On
Posts: 1,805
PSN ID: m0tl3ysl4y3r
yeah, you are right Jordan, people will still get a lot enjoyment out of it and people who won't just don't need to buy it.
I'm getting the hardened edition because I know it will be good and the extra stuff included in this edition will probably be worth it
__________________
Go Montreal Canadiens
m0tl3sl4y3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009   #8
SuperStaff
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,118
PSN ID: soldierone
In my opinion its not about value. No game is worth 60 bucks, very few and far in between. You spend 60 bucks, get a few hours of enjoyment, and its over. Is a game like COD4 worth 60 bucks? maybe, but its no better than last generation games priced at 50. Is Halo ODST worth 60 bucks no. We buy these games because we have no choice, unless we wait a few year and buy it at a discount. Look at how some companies release games at a lower price to combat rivals, they sell like hot cakes.

The problem is people already pre ordered this game and counted on getting it, then last minute Activision states "oh btw we are gonna screw you just because we can" at which its just 5 bucks now, you already spent the 60. Its just ONE game.

I havent purchased a single Activision game other than Call of duty and if they keep this up i wont even buy that anymore. If other companies start falling onto the "well its hard to make" bandwagon, the only games ill pay an extra 5 bucks for will be exclusives.

Think about it this way, activision is always biased to MS because MS buys out crap. Beta's, demos, early DLC, exclusive special edition console, commercials etc...all MS. So tell me what is it worth an extra 5 bucks on PS3? When Activision is already making bank by marketing contracts elsehwere and the game isnt even out yet.

One day Activision will think its ok to sell games at 100 bucks, will we all be ok with that? Then stop it now. Go ahead and buy COD MW2, support IW, buy it used if you want, after that stop supporting them unless the game is truly worth the extra money.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009   #9
PCN Senior
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Trenton, Canada
Posts: 371
PSN ID: jordan123x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin S. View Post
In my opinion its not about value. No game is worth 60 bucks, very few and far in between. You spend 60 bucks, get a few hours of enjoyment, and its over. Is a game like COD4 worth 60 bucks? maybe, but its no better than last generation games priced at 50. Is Halo ODST worth 60 bucks no. We buy these games because we have no choice, unless we wait a few year and buy it at a discount. Look at how some companies release games at a lower price to combat rivals, they sell like hot cakes.

The problem is people already pre ordered this game and counted on getting it, then last minute Activision states "oh btw we are gonna screw you just because we can" at which its just 5 bucks now, you already spent the 60. Its just ONE game.

I havent purchased a single Activision game other than Call of duty and if they keep this up i wont even buy that anymore. If other companies start falling onto the "well its hard to make" bandwagon, the only games ill pay an extra 5 bucks for will be exclusives.

Think about it this way, activision is always biased to MS because MS buys out crap. Beta's, demos, early DLC, exclusive special edition console, commercials etc...all MS. So tell me what is it worth an extra 5 bucks on PS3? When Activision is already making bank by marketing contracts elsehwere and the game isnt even out yet.

One day Activision will think its ok to sell games at 100 bucks, will we all be ok with that? Then stop it now. Go ahead and buy COD MW2, support IW, buy it used if you want, after that stop supporting them unless the game is truly worth the extra money.
It is about value %100

Why would a company sell a game for $60 when they can sell it for $70 and make more money. It would be idiotic not to. Corporations have an obligation to their shareholders to make money. They HAVE to try to make as much money as they can. Seriously if you could sell something for $10 more and people would still buy it, you wouldn't? It's poor logic not to.

As for the $100 comment, here's why when it happens it will be okay with me:
1. First of all inflation will guarantee this will happen. Inflation is a huge factor as to why games went from $50-60 within a generation. Inflation is about 2-3% each year. The new consoles were an opportunity to cope with this.

2. If they sell it before inflation takes it's course for $100 it will do one of two things, fail or succeed. If they try to sell it for $100 and noone buys it, they will have to lower the price. If they sell it for that and people do buy it, it would be stupid not to sell it for that price. They would probably loose money if they did that now or in the near future though, which is why they wont.

They are trying to maximize profit by pricing it at the most profitable price. They would probably make less selling it for $80,50, or 65. They found a price they think is suitable. Many people will see the value. If this makes more games raise their price than refer to everything I've written to why that's okay too. All companies should and do price their product at the most profitable price point. If they think raising the price will raise profit (which is doesnt always) then they should.

Last edited by Jordan; 06-10-2009 at 03:14 PM..
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009   #10
SuperStaff
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,118
PSN ID: soldierone
The problem is the 60 dollar price tag had to be universal between ALL companies. I forgot what sports game it was, but they got in trouble for releasing new games under the price point in order to cut their oppenents profits. There is a reason why when this generation came ALL companies had the 60 dollar price tag and not the usual 50.

You cant blame it on inflation eitther. If thats the reason then why hasn't movies or any other industry changed in the past few years? Its still 10 bucks to see a movie and only recently this year did prices of music go up, Comics just now cost an extra dollar, what justifies the game industry raising the prices 10 dollars?

I get what your saying, if you sell it for 100 instead of 50 and get away with it then do it. However Activision is ripping off the consumers here. They know people WILL be buying it, so they are pulling a fast one on everyone. Its like inventing the cure for Cancer, get everyone excited, then bam last minute "sorry we want to charge more because it was so hard to make...and we know you will buy it anyways." Video games were already moved up 10 dollars due to the whole "its hard to make" Activision has no reasoning to raising it again, they also have two special editions with it that are pretty much nothing special for the higher prices.

If the entire game industry was thinking "meh lets get value" instead of doing it for the enjoyment of the players. Sony wouldnt be so fast to bring the PS3 down, I saw plenty of value in my launch console. Uncharted 2 would be around 80 bucks, Madden would cost 150. All because people will eventually buy it...Activision is the only one acting that way and I think its stupid. Therefore im showing them their games are NOT worth the extra price. Ill buy Rock band instead of GH, Skate instead of Tony Hawk, and so on. Honestly I hope COD MW2 has extremely high used game sales just to say eff you to Kotick. Hell if Medal of Honor was out this year, id completely forget MW2 existed at all.

Your right, Activision is in it for the money and nothing else. They dont care about you or me or anyone buying the game, as long as money from your wallet goes into theirs.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009   #11
PCN Senior
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Trenton, Canada
Posts: 371
PSN ID: jordan123x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin S. View Post

I get what your saying, if you sell it for 100 instead of 50 and get away with it then do it. However Activision is ripping off the consumers here.
There is no such thing in ripping off consumers with goods or services that aren't essential to their lives. Consumers aren't stupid, they have a choice to buy or not to buy. They can cancel pre-orders.
Quote:

If the entire game industry was thinking "meh lets get value" instead of doing it for the enjoyment of the players. Sony wouldnt be so fast to bring the PS3 down, I saw plenty of value in my launch console. Uncharted 2 would be around 80 bucks, Madden would cost 150. All because people will eventually buy it...Activision is the only one acting that way and I think its stupid. Therefore im showing them their games are NOT worth the extra price. Ill buy Rock band instead of GH, Skate instead of Tony Hawk, and so on. Honestly I hope COD MW2 has extremely high used game sales just to say eff you to Kotick. Hell if Medal of Honor was out this year, id completely forget MW2 existed at all.
That's simply not true. They would not charge $80 or $150 because people would not buy them at those price points. Well some would but not enough to make more than they would selling it at their current prices. They would lose money charging the value you saw on it. It's about value to consumers on a large basis. Oh, and not buying a game over another just because of your personal views of the publisher and not the quality of the game is just silly I think.

Quote:

Your right, Activision is in it for the money and nothing else. They dont care about you or me or anyone buying the game, as long as money from your wallet goes into theirs.
It's the way all businesses should and for the most part do run. Capitalism is what makes each generation more wealthier and technologically advanced than the last. Capitalism and the free market is the best thing that has ever happened to society. Before it, the standard of living of the whole world was lower. Everyone should love capitalism. it has it's cons but makes up for it in pros.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009   #12
PCN Addict
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: In a van down by the river!
Posts: 640
PSN ID: glen421
Dustin I beleve you are refering to NFL 2K5.. It launched for $20 or $25, I can't remember. Not only that it was way better than Madden that year. That's when EA got exclusivity on the NFL. They got scared, and really haven't made any real innovations since; because of no competetion.

Even though I do like getting games the day they come out and don't mind paying $60. In this economy I am re-thinking my philosophy and waiting for the discounts. It's getting more expensive to develop because Activision is getting bigger thus more overhead costs. More money more problems and more money needed to fix those problems. So pass it on to the hurting consumer. Hell Sony should fire back and say: "Hey why don't you lower your prices (we did) or we won't let you develop for us anymore." Fair is Fair... Right?
glen421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009   #13
SuperStaff
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,118
PSN ID: soldierone
Quote:
There is no such thing in ripping off consumers with goods or services that aren't essential to their lives. Consumers aren't stupid, they have a choice to buy or not to buy. They can cancel pre-orders.
Im saying you just bought a 600 dollar PS3, barely capable of affording 60 dollar games. Activision says if you truly want our games you will pay more to get them. Its a rip off because games shouldnt even cost 60 dollars and there are no other companies saying their games are worth an extra 5 or 10 without throwing in other goods. EA even said they wont do it because its a rip off to the consumer.

Quote:
That's simply not true. They would not charge $80 or $150 because people would not buy them at those price points. Well some would but not enough to make more than they would selling it at their current prices. They would lose money charging the value you saw on it. It's about value to consumers on a large basis. Oh, and not buying a game over another just because of your personal views of the publisher and not the quality of the game is just silly I think.
Madden has way bigger install base and die hard fanbase than any game out there. EA could EASILY state "oh well we want to charge an extra 5 because we know you pay for it" but never have and most likely never will until our dollar bill goes down in value. Im also not avoiding Activision because of that, im doing it because I can barely afford 60 dollar games and if they somehow get the industry to jack the prices up further im done with video games. I dont want to see that happen, therefore im not supporting their rip off business plan. The very fact taht you dont care where your hard earned dollar goes is the very reason why Activision thinks they can reach in your wallet and take whatever the hell they want, and walk away like nothing happened.

Quote:
It's the way all businesses should and for the most part do run. Capitalism is what makes each generation more wealthier and technologically advanced than the last. Capitalism and the free market is the best thing that has ever happened to society. Before it, the standard of living of the whole world was lower. Everyone should love capitalism. it has it's cons but makes up for it in pros.
It needs restrictions, and industries throw restriction on themeslves to keep companies competing. Walmart doesnt live by the "we can charge more" motive, in fact they are the complete opposite and look at what the biggest company in the world is. Look at Mc Donalds. You honestly think the game industry will be able to compete with movies and music and television if they are charging 100 dollars for a game? Look at health care to see how the whole "well you paid for it there, we are jacking it up too" motive works, now everyone wants a change because its so expensive. If its alright for Activision to work this way, why were they the only company saying they would abandon PS3 if Sony didn't lower their price? every other company was doing fine, hell even companies like EA already switched to PS3 being the lead platform.

In my opinion we dont allow the rich to get richer just because they can, we make them earn it. If you want COD MW2 to cost more than the other shooters sitting on the same shelf then you justify its price, you dont just say "oh well it costs more these days and we feel like it."

Last edited by Dustin S.; 06-10-2009 at 05:01 PM..
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009   #14
PCN Senior
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Trenton, Canada
Posts: 371
PSN ID: jordan123x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin S. View Post
Im saying you just bought a 600 dollar PS3, barely capable of affording 60 dollar games. Activision says if you truly want our games you will pay more to get them. Its a rip off because games shouldnt even cost 60 dollars and there are no other companies saying their games are worth an extra 5 or 10 without throwing in other goods. EA even said they wont do it because its a rip off to the consumer.
If companies can have maximum profit at the $60 price point than that's the price it should be. Business is business, not a charity. There is absolutely no such thing as a rip off. No such thing as overpricing. Back to my mercedes comment, just because you can't afford it... it doesn't make it a rip off for people that can even if it's x10 the amount of car you have. See where I'm going with this? It's back to value. If you don't see the value in something you don't buy it and if you do then you do buy it.
Quote:

The very fact taht you dont care where your hard earned dollar goes is the very reason why Activision thinks they can reach in your wallet and take whatever the hell they want, and walk away like nothing happened.
This is very interesting. You said yourself that the value of madden to you would be $150. I put over 30 days of game play into cod4, so over 720 hours. That's more than many other games I've purchased combined. Therefore I don't mind if it's an extra $10. Many people are in the same boat as me. I could pay $200 for the game and get a better value than buying 4 other games. I care very much about my hard earned dollar which is why I only buy things where the price is equal to or less than the value, which is something I imagine everyone does.

Quote:

It needs restrictions, and industries throw restriction on themeslves to keep companies competing. Walmart doesnt live by the "we can charge more" motive, in fact they are the complete opposite and look at what the biggest company in the world is. Look at Mc Donalds. You honestly think the game industry will be able to compete with movies and music and television if they are charging 100 dollars for a game? Look at health care to see how the whole "well you paid for it there, we are jacking it up too" motive works, now everyone wants a change because its so expensive. If its alright for Activision to work this way, why were they the only company saying they would abandon PS3 if Sony didn't lower their price? every other company was doing fine, hell even companies like EA already switched to PS3 being the lead platform.
Different companies operate differently. Back to cars. Just because you can buy a ford for $15,000 doesn't mean luxury cars should have to lower their price. To me Modern Warefare 2 is like a high end car with many other games being low end and which is why I don't buy them.This is because different products have different valuations. Cheap stuff can lead to a lot of profit (like walmart) but so can more expensive stuff. The health care is a perfect example in my argument. Americans pay for health care. Canadians don't. You guys have the best healthcare in the world and ours is ****. I'd prefer to get health care in the U.S and pay for it than get free healthcare here. This is because the value is better in the U.S (to me) than our free peace of ****. Good things are often more expensive than less good of things.

Quote:

In my opinion we dont allow the rich to get richer just because they can, we make them earn it. If you want COD MW2 to cost more than the other shooters sitting on the same shelf then you justify its price, you dont just say "oh well it costs more these days and we feel like it."
I don't want it to cost more but if it does, I'll still pay because of it's value. Again, CEO's HAVE to make money for the shareholders. As much as possible at that. It's an obligation by law.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009   #15
SuperStaff
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,118
PSN ID: soldierone
The thing is when its gone too far you will care. When you no longer can afford games, or say something happens and you dont make as much money, you will regret saying you dont care if they are 100 bucks. No matter how bad you want it you cant afford it.

Mercedes cost more because they offer something other cars dont offer. At the same time its competing with Corvettes, Camaros, and all the other luxary cars in that price range, its not competing with cheap crappy Ford cars that the average person buys to get from point A to point B. Its for the people that have the money to do so. However COD MW2 or ANY Activision game is not the luxary car. Any game on the market can be played for years, I play Resistance alot more than COD4. There is nothing in COD4 that isn't special in some other FPS game.

Yet Mercedes says "K cars are expensive to make, we encourage the entire industry to raise prices because consumers are buying our cars anyways" wouldnt you have a problem?

As for the health care, thats not what i was getting at. I was trying to say you have over priced health care now everywhere, is it good? Yes. However there are people, alot of people, that cant afford it. Why? Because the people that could afford it were freely paying higher prices because they could. Therefore the poor get poorer and the rich get richer. No matter how much the average salary man said "dont raise the prices" the people with money ignored him and now you have issues.

Im not saying Activision doesn't have a right to raise their prices to steal all our money. Im saying its wrong to do so, and its wrong to be encouraging the entire industry to do so. In the end if everyone followed, the game industry would fall into a deep hole. If every company operated like Activision we would be paying 20 dollars for bread, just because the bread company knows you want it. Thats a 5 dollar increase every so often because bread is hard to make every so often.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009   #16
"The New Guy"
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: FLAsHiN' LiGHtZ
Posts: 12
PSN ID: Supra9_
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0tl3sl4y3r View Post
honestly, it is expensive but we are the people who still buy the games.
they are probably just doing this because they know that a ton of people will buy MW2 so they wanna make as much of a profit as possible of this game
its dumb I know but a lot of people will still buy it so I guess its not totally their fault
I agree with m0tl3sl4y3r, because no matter what the price is, there are still going to be plenty of people who will be willing to pay full price. So it was only a matter a time, before the game developers figured out that they could charge sky high prices for their products.
Supra9_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009   #17
PCN Senior
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: glasgow
Posts: 360
PSN ID: xEN7xASSASSINx
greedy twats :) if they wanna say that.. im gonna ctriticise every little detail of the game that suggests otherwise lol! (joke i wouldn't be hard on IW) but if i get it and turn on multi-player and it has more crappy cod4 sized maps and 'connection/match-making' issues i'll be ****ed lol
__________________
i am a creative genius
xEN7xASSASSINx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009   #18
PCN Master
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Trenton, On
Posts: 1,805
PSN ID: m0tl3ysl4y3r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra9_ View Post
I agree with m0tl3sl4y3r, because no matter what the price is, there are still going to be plenty of people who will be willing to pay full price. So it was only a matter a time, before the game developers figured out that they could charge sky high prices for their products.
I know, maybe we're more to blame then the developers are because we're supporting them even though they're charging a lot of money but who's still buying the games? US, the average people

It's the same as professional athletes, if people didn't pay a lot to see them, the teams would have to charge less for people to see just to get people interested

I guess it's the same as what Jordan said about healthcare (although I disagree with his opinion on healthcare, I think ours is the best) most people in the United States are willing to pay for it because they think their's is the best even though with their system a lot of people can't afford it but it's certainly faster.
but with the Canadian system, it's certainly slower but people don't have to pay for it, which is what I like so I would not have to worry about having enough money even though I wouldn't have to pay for my own healthcare yet.
A lot of Canadians probably do go down to the States to get healthcare because they probably could afford it
but also, a lot of Americans who probably couldn't afford it back home come to Canada to get it for free
So I guess that comes down to personal opinion whether stuff like that is worth paying the extra monet for
just like games, some people may not mind paying more for a game like Modern Warfare 2 but others would think that it's a ridiculous price to pay for a game
__________________
Go Montreal Canadiens
m0tl3sl4y3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009   #19
PCN Senior
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Trenton, Canada
Posts: 371
PSN ID: jordan123x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin S. View Post
The thing is when its gone too far you will care. When you no longer can afford games, or say something happens and you dont make as much money, you will regret saying you dont care if they are 100 bucks. No matter how bad you want it you cant afford it.
It will never go "too" far. If they raise the price too much, people will stop buying. video games will and mostly are priced at their optimum price point. If they raise the price to $100 anytime soon no one will buy it and the company will lose money. $100 wouldn't be the most profitable price point right now or in the near future. Again, corporations want to make as much as possible and having the right price point is key. a company would be foolish to charge $100 for a game (without a peripheral) right now, which is why they wont. This is why I'm not worried, because I understand economics.

Quote:

Mercedes cost more because they offer something other cars dont offer. At the same time its competing with Corvettes, Camaros, and all the other luxary cars in that price range, its not competing with cheap crappy Ford cars that the average person buys to get from point A to point B. Its for the people that have the money to do so. However COD MW2 or ANY Activision game is not the luxary car. Any game on the market can be played for years, I play Resistance alot more than COD4. There is nothing in COD4 that isn't special in some other FPS game.

Yet Mercedes says "K cars are expensive to make, we encourage the entire industry to raise prices because consumers are buying our cars anyways" wouldnt you have a problem?
MW2 would be a luxury car and a game like legendary or Area 51 would be a ford. Just because you don't like MW2 doesnt make it not a luxury car. That's like saying I like Mercedes but hate BMW theres for it's not a luxury car. The game is going to be one of the highest selling games in history.
Quote:


As for the health care, thats not what i was getting at. I was trying to say you have over priced health care now everywhere, is it good? Yes. However there are people, alot of people, that cant afford it. Why? Because the people that could afford it were freely paying higher prices because they could. Therefore the poor get poorer and the rich get richer. No matter how much the average salary man said "dont raise the prices" the people with money ignored him and now you have issues.
I see what you're saying but that's arguing about the price of something that is a basic need. Video games aren't that's why consumers have the choice and decide on purchases based on value. You're argument still goes in my favor.
Quote:

Im not saying Activision doesn't have a right to raise their prices to steal all our money. Im saying its wrong to do so, and its wrong to be encouraging the entire industry to do so. In the end if everyone followed, the game industry would fall into a deep hole. If every company operated like Activision we would be paying 20 dollars for bread, just because the bread company knows you want it. Thats a 5 dollar increase every so often because bread is hard to make every so often.
That's simply not true. It comes back to economics. They would go bankrupt selling bread at $25 dollars because their competitors would sell it for cheap. You're comparing a 300% increase to a 13% increase anyways.

My main point of this discussion is what I said earlier: Consumers will only buy goods that are equal to or lower than their price. Therefor raising by more than consumers will spend will never happen because corporations don't want to lose money. Also, earlier you said $60 is overpriced for games. Sicne you buy them the value is obviously equal to or less than the price.



Quote:
Originally Posted by m0tl3sl4y3r View Post
I guess it's the same as what Jordan said about healthcare (although I disagree with his opinion on healthcare, I think ours is the best)
If you disagree you've obviously never been sick enough to feel how ****ty our system is. My mom waited almost 2 years for back surgery. Took months for different appointments to be booked. Many Canadians go through this exact same thing. Plus, our local hospital is a joke and almost had to pretty much close.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009   #20
"The New Guy"
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: FLAsHiN' LiGHtZ
Posts: 12
PSN ID: Supra9_
Quote:
Originally Posted by xEN7xASSASSINx View Post
greedy twats :) if they wanna say that.. im gonna ctriticise every little detail of the game that suggests otherwise lol! (joke i wouldn't be hard on IW) but if i get it and turn on multi-player and it has more crappy cod4 sized maps and 'connection/match-making' issues i'll be ****ed lol
This is a point I also agree with, lol. Sure we are paying the same price for MW2 as we did for COD4(unless you got the more $$ editions), but this game has an expectation that is higher than many other games that are or going to be released this year. MW2 better have some dedicated servers with a stable enough connection to keep the game lobbies moving fluidly, and since US(ps3 users) won't get the exclusive maps that Microsoft paid for(til the 6months is up), I hope that the default maps, game modes, connection, overall feel of the game is just as good as the 360 version, and feel like it really is a sequel NOT a poorly put together game with a new title.
Supra9_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
call, cod, codmw2, duty, warfare


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007 - 2008, PixelFX Studios