Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > General Chat > Off Topic
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email
View Poll Results: rugby or football?
football 2 40.00%
rugby 1 20.00%
I like them both equally 0 0%
neither of them 2 40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25-10-2009   #1
PCN Master
PSN ID: m0tl3ysl4y3r
football vs rugby

I wanna know which people here like more: rugby or football and why they like that sport more and maybe your favourite teams as well

For me, I like rugby more.
I always found rugby a bit easier to understand (maybe because I played it).

I also find it more interesting than football, mostly because in rugby they're not stopping every few seconds.
there are probably more reasons that I can't think of right now.

Probably my favourite teams are : the Canadian National team (obvioulsy, I'm Canadian), the London Wasps from English premiership play and the Canterbury Crusaders from the Super 14 League
Old 25-10-2009   #2
Staff
Well Rugby is quite popular in UK, but not so much in the US. I understand Rugby, and it is similar to American Football, but I can't stand either of them. Probably because we were forced to play rugby at school, and we always wanted to play Soccer instead. And by "we" I mean like 30 of us, and the 15 people on the rugby team wanted to play Rugby.
Shak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2009   #3
PCN Master
I knew rugby was popular in the UK, but i didn't know u were forced to play it
Old 25-10-2009   #4
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
Football is only popular in a sense of the NFL. The NFL holds stories to the teams and what not that people get attracted to. Other than the NFL people cant stand football. For proof look at all the other leagues that have tried to live as an alternative football league and failed big time. Its because people dont care about football itself.

Meanwhile look at hockey and all the other sports that have all kinds of leagues that do fine...
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2009   #5
PCN Master
theres more hate to football then I thought there would be, I didn't know people actually didn't like it

I thought I was one of the only ones

Last edited by m0tl3sl4y3r; 25-10-2009 at 10:09 PM..
m0tl3sl4y3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2009   #6
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
Never could follow either, rugby was an option in my high school, was never interested although I will say out of all the sports we offered, rugby was by far the most popular while other sports like basketball were struggling to get a team and football I could never follow (my Dad is a huge fan and despite seeing it on TV, I just couldn't figure out how to follow football) and despite some of the football coaches wanting me to play, I get the feeling because of my height, I never did.

Hockey does suffer problems throughout the southern U.S too, although I attribute that partially to the fact that they don't grow up in a place where you can ice skate/play ice hockey in the outdoors in the winter, so they just never learn the game and then when they see it on T.V, they are wondering what the heck is going on. Best season ever though for hockey, the Leafs haven't won a single game yet and are the worst in the league, now I get to rub that in everyone's faces back home while my favorite and now home team (thanks to College), the Sens destroys the Leafs record.
Old 25-10-2009   #7
SuperStaff
Hockey is very popular down here. You just have to remember we have 4 other sports going on around it at the same time so its not all focused on one team or one sport.
Old 25-10-2009   #8
PCN Master
I'm more referring to places like Atlanta, Florida, deep south, I mean fine the Coyotes were well publicized about their state of things but there is more at play than just a lack of audience, like the location of the arena, the amount of sports (although to be fair, Toronto carries the CFL, MLB, NBA and NHL without issues, but then again all four of those sports are played out of just two buildings, the MLB and CFL use Skydome while the NBA and NHL use the Air Canada Centre and both are a stone's throw away from each other), some questionable spending by the previous owner, I mean the amount they were paying Gretzky was rather high when he's never been a great coach etc, but a lot of teams are almost to that point in the southern U.S, but they don't have the same problems as the Coyotes have faced or are facing and those teams might actually have to move, I mean the NHL is trying their hearts out to keep them there even though so many Canadian teams have moved without so much as a peep coming out of the NHL (I'm sorry but that ****es me off when so many U.S teams have struggling attendance meanwhile here the Leafs sell out (with much more expensive tickets) even when they are the biggest losers in the league and they won't bring one damn team back to Canada).

Last edited by X_Racer1; 25-10-2009 at 10:28 PM..
X_Racer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2009   #9
PCN Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Racer1 View Post
Never could follow either, rugby was an option in my high school, was never interested although I will say out of all the sports we offered, rugby was by far the most popular while other sports like basketball were struggling to get a team and football I could never follow (my Dad is a huge fan and despite seeing it on TV, I just couldn't figure out how to follow football) and despite some of the football coaches wanting me to play, I get the feeling because of my height, I never did.

Hockey does suffer problems throughout the southern U.S too, although I attribute that partially to the fact that they don't grow up in a place where you can ice skate/play ice hockey in the outdoors in the winter, so they just never learn the game and then when they see it on T.V, they are wondering what the heck is going on. Best season ever though for hockey, the Leafs haven't won a single game yet and are the worst in the league, now I get to rub that in everyone's faces back home while my favorite and now home team (thanks to College), the Sens destroys the Leafs record.
really?, it was like the other way around for my school, for the guys anyways, we could barel get senior boys rugby and for both senior and junior rugby, there was a lack of commitment, we could get dedicated teams for any other sport though, but my school did not have a football team

rugby was HUGE for girls though
Old 25-10-2009   #10
SuperStaff
Rugby was banned from schools here in AZ. You couldnt play it in PE anymore, you would g et in trouble if you play it on your own at lunch etc...Was really stupid. They also banned Lacrosse because people kept getting wacked in the face. Yet one kid in my class beat the crap out of another with a baseball bat and nothing happened.

Luckily our coach was from Canada so we played Hockey ALL the time lol, was great. He would let us be rough and everything, brought in actual goalie pads for us and encouraged everyone to join leagues around town etc... Was awesome. Back when we would have neighborhood teams and what not lol. Then the Coyotes started to suck for a while then all the issues that just happened and its really hard for such a young team to stay active in a town like ours with all that going on...

I kinda agree with the actual "southern" states though. All florida cares about is Football. Their baseball teams couldnt even sell out playoff games its sad. I just dont see what is so amazing about football. I ll watch it but people are so hardcore into that im like who cares? You say hut, run a few yards, toss the ball, take a minute break, do it again. While hockey its not stop trying to get the puck in the net, no out of bounds, no breaks, nothing its constant.
Old 25-10-2009   #11
PCN Master
why would they ban rugby? I guess it is violent and there is no padding but football has a ton of padding and people still get hurt, maybe its because people will hit harder due to padding and people won't hit as hard in rugby due to the lack of padding but I could be wrong

I agree with what u say about football, thats why I don't like the game

thats why hockey is sweet and rugby is kinda like that except there is out of bounds and there is minimum breaks in it
Old 25-10-2009   #12
PCN Master
Rugby is definitely the roughest sport and with so many parents being litigation happy these days, I am sure some school boards do not want to take the chance, the reason though I think my high school had a huge following for rugby simply came down to two factors, the coaches did a great job getting people interested and rugby is expanding in North America, 10 years ago, people would have stared at you if you said you played rugby, now I think it was considered cool if you were part of the rugby team, not so if you were on the football team (plus we sucked anyways at football). Wrestling was the other major sport, we actually would do quite well every year, one year we even had one student who won OFFSA but lacrosse was an option, then again we also had a badminton team (I swear when I heard that, I just started laughing), lacrosse, tennis, softball, ice hockey, volleyball and maybe some more I can not think of.
Old 26-10-2009   #13
PCN Master
badminton was sadly inda popular in my high school (I can't stand the sport or tennis) bt the most popular sports were girls rugby and guys soccer
when I was in grade 9, our junior boys team won COSSA and lost in the COSSA finals in grade 10.

when I was in grades 11 and 12 my schools senior team went to OFSAA but always got their asses kicked.

my high schools girls teams( both senior and junior) for rugby are usually pretty strong and have pretty good seasons

if u played either soccer, rugby or hockey, u had pretty good chances of being popular in my high school

just too bad UOIT only has hockey and rowing(for both men and women) and mens soccer, I wanna play rugby so bad, I'm hoping they get a rugby team before I graduate, I wana play for this school becaus ei thik its a great school and I doubt I have the ability to play for a more "prestige" rugby school (like Brock)
there was a discussion on my classes (2009-2013) facebook group to see who would like to play rugby here and it was a pretty decent size I would say and theres probably more people who would like to play such as people who don't have facebook and people in other years

Last edited by m0tl3sl4y3r; 26-10-2009 at 12:16 AM..
Old 26-10-2009   #14
SuperStaff
They banned it because it was too violent yatta yatta...stupid wanabe parents. If you kid gets hurt that easily then put him in a envirmental ball and send him to school like that.

My high school team is 33-0 or something like that, they havent lost since i went there and graduated and are still on the streak I guess. They are rated number 7 in the US or something like that. So you know how annoying it was going there, non stop football this footbal that and its quite annoying. Seriously though Rugby is like a forign object here in AZ, no one knows what it is anymore and no one cares at all. Kinda sad.

At my college we have a pretty good Lacrosse team and we are getting a Ice Hockey team here soon that im hoping to be apart of. The only major thing we have is Basketball...and Volleyball...ASU is nothing but about Football, they are 3rd in the country, and NAU and UofA both have hockey teams that i was hoping to be on but didnt happen, I went to GCU instead. My HS had Ice Hockey but they were never any good, the only good thing is you were aloud to drink if your over 21 (all the parents and what not lol).

But yeah with the Cardinals actually winning now suddenly everybody in AZ is becoming football fans out of no where. We have the worst bandwagon fans in the world. Suns are winning and suddenly everyone loves Basketball, they lose and no one cares nor do they know who Shaq is. Cardinals winning, suddenly "Ive always loved the cardinals and football!!!" and now the Coyotes are winning so fans will be going back to them soon, but that I dont mind. However there has never been anyone winning at the same time lol. Coyotes would have to compete with the Cardinals, Suns will most likely suck this year so no worries.

Supposedly AZ is a football town now, i hear people talk about football everyday. Someone asked "who you going for in college football" I replied i hate college football and just got blank stares back at me.
Old 26-10-2009   #15
PCN Master
I hate parents who are way over protective of their kids, they should just face it that their kids are gonna get hurt no matter what, its life, people get hurt, deal with it. I'm kinda in the same position as u Dustin, I hate hearing about football, it's mostly what my friends talk about here, football and Xbox 360 (both which bug me) infact today, one of them told me to get a new favourite sport becaus ethey rarely play rugby on tv and he thinks I should watch a sport tehy play on tv ( I think he was getting at the fact he thinks I should watch football), I just told him I still have youtube(although I can't find a complete game of any of my favourite teams playing), I was also told I should "get a real system" I'm guessing that guy was getting at he wants me to get a 360, but I like PS3 a hell of a lot more and I don't wanna pay $60 a year for something that is highly probably to break down, but thats off of this topic
I feel so different in my group of friends
but yeah, I'm nowhere near a fan of football

Last edited by m0tl3sl4y3r; 26-10-2009 at 12:29 AM..
Old 26-10-2009   #16
PCN Addict
PSN ID: treDIDDY97
never watched rugby but i really like football

PS3: It only does everything
trediddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009   #17
PCN Master
at least somone can provide an argument for the game but if u have never watched rugby, then u should at least check it out, I'm not trying to force my opnion on u but ts a good sport in its own way, I can't guarantee you'll like it

Last edited by m0tl3sl4y3r; 26-10-2009 at 01:19 AM..
Old 27-10-2009   #18
PCN Addict
ok wut channel and when does it come on and is there like one specific league like the NFL

Old 27-10-2009   #19
PCN Master
its really hard to find on tv, theres not really any North American leagues, theres mostly the Super 14 which consists of various teams from South Africa, Australia and New Zealand then theres like the Guinness Premiership league, which is mostly teams from England and countries near it, theres a lot of other club level tournanments in Europe

you're best bet is to watch international rugby if you're lucky enough to find in on tv, I don't know if you're school has it or any schools near your school have it

heres a link from youtube of like 9 minutes of a game, the qualitys not very good though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SvOOTdGDLA

heres like a combination of various games from Guinness premeirship (European teams) playing thats better quality
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1y9491nzHo, I'd probably watch this video because the other one looks like it was shot from a crappy camera or the person shooting it didn't know how to use it right

u might find it confusing at first

tell me what u think after

Last edited by m0tl3sl4y3r; 27-10-2009 at 10:44 PM..
Old 28-10-2009   #20
PCN Addict
so is the object of the game to try to get in the goal before getting tackled??