Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > PlayStation Chat > PlayStation 3 Discussion
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 22-08-2010   #1
"The New Guy"
Back To Owning A PS3

hey, i bought the original 60GB PS3 on day of UK launch and sold that, got an 80GB one, which i then sold last year sometime.
i have now purchased another 60GB one second hand which i should be getting early next week, and basically wondered if someone could fill me in on the updates that have happened since i last owned one.
the last firmware update i can remember was around the time when divx was added, so how much has changed since then? any cool new features? home was still in BETA stage (which i had but didnt really get on with it) is that now fully launched? i know there would of been several small firmware releases with bug fixes, but i mainly want to know if i can expect it to have things that wouldnt of been there last time i used one.
cheers in advance.
paradisiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010   #2
Staff
Home is still in beta, there haven't been much significant changes really apart from the addition of PS Plus and the new PS Store icons and What's New icons in the XMB.
Shak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010   #3
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
Don't forget the removal of the Other OS option, probably the biggest change to the console although if you never used it, you won't notice.
Old 22-08-2010   #4
PCN Member
Home has improved quite a bit, but I still never use it. There is a video editor now. Not a very good one though.

Congratulations on getting another PS3.
LewisJ999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2010   #5
"The New Guy"
cheers, was going to try yellowdog or whatever on my first one, but decided it was too much hassel so the 2nd OS doesnt bother me. home for me seemed a tad pointless, but maybe sony has added some features that are usfull. my biggest concern is that there seem to be alot of faulty ps3 systems around, is this due to certain components only lasting a certain lifespan? or is there a hacking mod that people are doing that is causing it? im guessing that the original 60GBs are still backwards compatible, sony has blocked this with FW updates?
Old 22-08-2010   #6
PCN Member
Sony hasn't blocked backwards compatibility, except on the new slim models. Home is still a tad pointless.

Faulty PS3 systems? Its probably just just the components aging or warping do to heat. as long as you look after your console properly you should be fine.
Old 22-08-2010   #7
"The New Guy"
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisJ999 View Post
Sony hasn't blocked backwards compatibility, except on the new slim models. Home is still a tad pointless.

Faulty PS3 systems? Its probably just just the components aging or warping do to heat. as long as you look after your console properly you should be fine.
the one im getting is a second hand 60GB model so im hoping its not going to fail anytime soon.
Old 22-08-2010   #8
PCN Member
Just keep it well ventilated so it doesn't overheat, and you will be fine. Ive seen extra fans that you can attach to ps3s if you want to be extra cautious.

There are plenty of tips you can find online about keeping your console in good condition, but you should be fine.

Think of it this way. Your ps3 is not an xbox.
Old 22-08-2010   #9
"The New Guy"
never had an issue with either of my ps3s or my 2 xbox 360s, just noticed that on a certain auction site there seems to be a high number with yellow light errors and stuff so worried that maybe its a common problem that is down to a design fault.
with the original ps3, im guessing the blue-ray profile is only 1 or 1.1, so will they upgrade to profile 2.0?
also has the web browser had an overhall with addition of some pluggins so things like youtube and bbc iplayer work, from what i remember they didnt when i last tried.
Old 22-08-2010   #10
PCN Member
Yes youtube and BBC iplayer work, but the Internet browser hasn't changed apart from that.
I have no idea what your talking about with the blue-ray profile thing, so I cant help you there.
Old 22-08-2010   #11
"The New Guy"
Quote:
Yes youtube and BBC iplayer work, but the Internet browser hasn't changed apart from that.
I have no idea what your talking about with the blue-ray profile thing, so I cant help you there.
with profile 1.0 and 1.1 you cannot access the BD-Live options on the newer films, the extras that use an internet connection like quizes and trailers and stuff.
Old 22-08-2010   #12
PCN Member
It might have added that in a firmware update. Ill have a look around the Internet for ya.

Edit: This will hopefully help
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...oof-player.ars

In short: it should work

Last edited by LewisJ999; 22-08-2010 at 01:08 PM..
Old 22-08-2010   #13
"The New Guy"
Quote:
It might have added that in a firmware update. Ill have a look around the Internet for ya.

Edit: This will hopefully help
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...oof-player.ars

In short: it should work
cheers for that, looks like the ps3 has been making alot of subtle changes then making it a better console.
Old 22-08-2010   #14
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
I have an original 60GB system and its working perfectly fine still. The fact is who is gonna go on forums and start topics "my ps3 is working great?" lol, nobody. and we all know when technology starts to age, the people not taking care of their stuff will see theirs start to break. Thats all thats happened, its been what 4 or 5 years now and we have yet to see YLOD become as big as RROD?

As for updates i dont know if you saw the major update that changed the XMB and what not? was like 2.5 i believe. After that they never really added anything major. Just PS Plus, which is useless at the moment in my opinion, and some odds and ends here and there. I cant wait for Netflix to be intregrated into the XMB though.

With Blu ray your fine, PS3 has and always will be the latest and up to date blu ray player on the market. I believe those features came to PS3 first anyways.

Home hasnt changed much. Sony added a crap ton of new game sections to visit, alot more advertising, alot more people are out and about and actually talking for once, and its getting better. Its still just Home though, nothing much more to say than avatars on other systems.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010   #15
"The New Guy"
now you mention it i seem to remember you being able to change the XMB themes and stuff, dunno if thats what you meant.
have they added the movie rental section to the UK/Europe PS Store yet?
Old 23-08-2010   #16
PCN Member
Yes, their is a video section on the Playstation Store for UK and Europe now. I still prefer blue ray for my movies though. Their is a movie streaming service coming soon, called MUBI, but I don't know much about that.

As for the XMB, there is a new theme that is basically the wave theme but with glitter. There are also dynamic themes now. They are like normal themes but with animated backgrounds. Try the free Wipeout HD dynamic theme. Its on the UK Playstation Store.