Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > General Chat > Off Topic
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 06-07-2009   #1
PCN Master
PSN ID: Dipchit02
School?

so in another thread people were talking about school and they are planning on going somewhere or are going somewhere so i thought i would start a thread to see where everyone is going and what they are going for. or if you are graduated you can tell us where you went and what for or if you are still in High school let us know where plan to go. and it woudl be cool to let people what you plan on doing once you get out of College.

I am going to Ferris State University, Grand Rapids Michigan for Digital Animation and Game Design and when i get out of school i want to get a job for Insomniac or Zipper or just a solid game company (NOT VALVE) and do some of the 3-d work in the games
Dipchit02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009   #2
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
Im going to like the most expensive college (private) in Arizona lol. Gran Canyon University. Im planning to go to another school after though, like an art institute or technology school to develope my skills more. Just saving my scholarships and whatnot to do that.

As for what im planning to do im planning to make movies and video games like you. Pixar, Insomniac, WB, Sony are all on my list, hell ill throw EA on there. Anyone that will take me would be nice.

My goal is to make true video game movie adaptations along with developing my own original stories. I do comics, movies, writing, and animation stuff right now. I really wish someone would take some time and really teach me about 3d stuff, i seriously want to learn that so bad.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009   #3
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
Algonquin College in Ottawa, Ontario (more specifically School of Advanced Technology) for the Internet Application Programmer program or more basically, I'll be building websites for companies ranging from video game companies to local businesses so obviously I'll be doing some animation as any website these days has animation. I did look into game development but there was too much math involved, not my best subject by any means.

On a separate note though, Dustin you weren't kidding when you said that school was expensive, it's more than 5-6 times as much as my tuition (and if I throw in my residence and meal plan I'm come out to about your tuition cost) and that's not taking into account the exchange rate, then again, Ferris State seems to be around the same as well, although the Grand Canyon website is confusing.

Last edited by X_Racer1; 06-07-2009 at 10:29 PM..
X_Racer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009   #4
PCN Master
yea i think that College in the U.S. is more than in Canada, i have no facts to back that up at all but it just seems at least to me like stuff in Canada is more government funded. but looking at some colleges in Michigan the most expensive one i could find was Aquinas (private i believe) at 12,000 for full time 12-18 credit hours.

Dustin you can check out Digital Tutors ( http://www.digitaltutors.com/digital_tutors/index.php ) they have alot of video tutorials on getting started in 3d but that can get expensive. i would suggest getting into Maya seeing as that is what Insomniac uses for their 3d software and it seems like alot of game companys use that and i think Pixar might use it for their movies but i am not completely sure on that. but from what i hear Pixar is a really good company to look for and they seem pretty laid back from what i have seen. Zbrush is also a very powerful program for 3d pixologic.com has some good tutorials for that. and i personally use XSI for my 3d but that is because i never really got into Maya and i started in 3ds Max but now i moved onto XSI and i will get into Zbrush this fall.
Old 07-07-2009   #5
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
There site is complete crap lol. I dont like alot of things they do, its just expensive for some reason lol. I just need my communications degree then i can focus more on my dreams with another school or internships lol.

As for programs i have 3ds max, Maya, toon boom, flash, and Zbrush. I try looking at some free tutorials online but some dont seem to really help get going, just get to doing what they want you to do for tha tspecific tutorial. I want to check out some of the others but dont really want to pay for them as i dont know if they will work or not.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009   #6
PCN Master
yea i know what you are saying about not wanting to pay for them because you dont know if they will help you or not. but yea Digital tutors is expensive but they have good stuff but you dont know which will help or not. My college has an agreement with digital tutors to get their stuff for 35 buck a month and you have access to everything on the site
Old 07-07-2009   #7
PCN Master
I do know that the government subsidizes around $4,000 to your tuition cost per semester, because if you don't live in Canada you have to pay an extra $4,000 a semester that we paid with our taxes to your tuition cost, same for healthcare, they don't pay for everything but they cover a lot and if you end up in the hospital you won't get slapped with a $30,000 bill.
Old 07-07-2009   #8
PCN Senior
PSN ID: jordan123x
Our colleges and universities run at a loss and are subsidized by the government. X_racer is right it is about $4000 per semester which is awesome. Also I should mention your community colleges are just called colleges here and your colleges we call university.

The system works out pretty good I think. There's tones of easy to get grants and scholarships here that are only about $2000-3000 but practically cover tuition. You pretty much just need an 80% average and your tuition is payed for. There's obviously higher ones too but they're harder to get.

As for schooling I go to a college called Loyalist College for sales and marketing. It's nowhere close to a prestigious school or anything but it's the only school within driving distance of my house. Most graduates of my program get jobs that pay 50-60+ grand right off the bat and considering this year there were only 12 students in my program (around 30 the previous year) getting a job should be simple. I've got one more year left out of two and I can't wait to start making some money. I'll be 19 when I graduate and I plan to buy/rent a place + buy a **** load of video games + **** load of guitars/other musical instruments.

Last edited by Jordan; 07-07-2009 at 02:51 PM..
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009   #9
PCN Master
lol ok thanks for the info Jordan and it sounds like you go into the right field then.
Old 07-07-2009   #10
PCN Master
I remember considering Loyalist since it's in Belleville and only about an hour and a half away from my current house (and one of the only colleges to have a presentation at my school) but they didn't offer what I was looking for so Ottawa was the best choice, although I did have the option to go to London, Ontario at Fanshawe or Canadore College in North Bay, Ontario or Georgian College in Barrie, Ontario. Got to love the 80% average for bursaries and scholarships and the fact you only need a 60% average to get into college (Not that I have one). It's even better in Quebec though, I believe there tuition is even cheaper, although they call college CEGEP I believe, not to up on the entire system though, haven't lived there for over 10 years.
Old 07-07-2009   #11
The Creator
Site Admin
PSN ID: popiul99
Finishing up Concordia University in Montreal, Canada - B.A. Economics ... got 1 year left!

I then plan on carrying on with a Masters in Business Administration along with some additional graphic design + programming classes!
Old 07-07-2009   #12
PCN Master
i have wanted to get more into Graphic Design i hear you can make some pretty decent money doing that and making websites for people
Old 09-07-2009   #13
PCN Master
PSN ID: m0tl3ysl4y3r
Well, I just finished high school where I live last month and I'm attending the University of Ontario Institute of technology in Oshawa for a B.Sc in Forensic Sciences, which will be a 4 year program. After that I might go to Fleming College in Peterborough Ontario, Canada because they have this sweet 1 year post-graduate program called Natural Resources Law Enforcement. After school, I will probably get a job with either the Canadian government or the O.P.P
m0tl3sl4y3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009   #14
PCN Master
that is pretty cool i am going to go out on a limb and assume that he Natural Resources Law Enforcement is like the Department of Natural Resources in the US but what is the O.P.P?
Old 10-07-2009   #15
PCN Master
I've heard of UoIT, my sister wants to go there for law, I think that university has only existed for 3-4 years and they teach with a very laptop centric program. Problem is she would have to commute there every day since it's only around 45 minutes to an hour away so paying for residence would be pointless, university was never an option for me though, didn't have the marks in the courses necessary to get in to anything that interested me, otherwise I might have gone for computer engineering at the University of Waterloo.

Oh, also the O.P.P stands for the Ontario Provincial Police Force, we are one of only 3 provinces that has it's own police force, the other two being Quebec (S?ret? du Qu?bec or Quebec Provinical Police) and Newfoundland (Royal Newfoundland Constabulary), the rest of the provinces and territories of Canada rely on the RCMP or Royal Canadian Mounted Police (despite the name, they do not ride horses most of the time) for all policing except local in larger towns, the same applies to provinces with their own police forces, small towns will rely on the provincial police force instead of having their own. Here though the equivalent to the Department of Natural Resources is the Ministry of Natural Resources or MNR, I know it's not that different.

Last edited by X_Racer1; 10-07-2009 at 12:17 AM..
Old 10-07-2009   #16
PCN Master
oh ok i just would have assumed that ever province would have had their own police force because that is how the US works every state has their own then every county in that has their own then the cities have their own it is really just one big mess.

how does getting in to college in Canada work? i mean like here to get into a Community College you really just have to graduate high school but to get into one of the bigger universities you need a good ACT score and to have good grades and some schools will look at specific courses in high school and other will look at all your grades in high school
Old 10-07-2009   #17
PCN Senior
It's pretty much the same except we don't really have that big/prestigious of universities and there's not SATs. Even getting into university isn't hard here. I took university courses yet put next to no effort into school. I had average grades but am confident I would have easily been accepted to a handful of universities.
Old 10-07-2009   #18
PCN Master
The main reason why most of the provinces don't have police forces is because they don't have the population to support one, I mean the Northwest Territories (42,940), Yukon (33,442) and Nunavut (31,556) put together have less than 110,000 people which is the average population of many towns in Southern Ontario and a smaller population than the entire province of Prince Edward Island which is almost 635 times smaller in area, where in comparison no U.S state has such a low population.

Last edited by X_Racer1; 11-07-2009 at 01:17 AM..
Old 10-07-2009   #19
PCN Master
oh well yeah that is true i never really thought of them having such small populations our smallest state (in population) being Wyoming is 493,782 as of 2000.

@Jordan most of our universities are not really hard to get into just the big ones. i mean most people can get into the smaller universities if they really want to.
Old 10-07-2009   #20
PCN Senior
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipchit02 View Post
oh well yeah that is true i never really thought of them having such small populations our smallest state (in population) being Wyoming is 493,782 as of 2000.

@Jordan most of our universities are not really hard to get into just the big ones. i mean most people can get into the smaller universities if they really want to.
Ohhh lol. I wasn't really sure. The only information I have of U.S Universities is what I see portrayed on tv. Tv/movies always stress how difficult it is to get accepted though I assume they're usually IV league (spelling?) schools and rarely would they show regular schools. I don't know what schools are and aren't high end though.