Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > Multi-Platform / PC Chat > Multi-Platform / PC Chat
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 21-06-2010   #1
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
OnLive Pricing Details Out

Yes OnLive, the live-streaming game service has revealed their pricing structure and to say they have lost their minds is an understatement. Now just as a quick refresher, OnLive's idea is instead of having to buy a an expensive PC and then spend money updating it, you buy a small hardware device, hook it up to your TV and the games are streamed to you over the Internet and rendered by farms of computers owned by OnLive. Sounds like a decent concept on paper but of course lag due to Internet connections was already an issue and now with the pricing details, one has to wonder, who is going to go for this.

For you see OnLive doesn't just charge you a monthly fee, it also charges a cost to gain access to specific games as well and most of the prices are the same as retail stores prices for disc games (assuming you don't find a bargain somewhere). A few examples include:

Assassin?s Creed II - $39.99
Just Cause 2 - $49.99
Red Faction: Guerrilla - $19.99
Tom Clancy?s Splinter Cell: Conviction - $59.99

And that's not it, OnLive also can remove games from their servers as well so even after you paid for Assassins Creed II, if they decide at a certain point to stop carrying the game, you lose it (right now the earliest they will disappear is 2013) after paying full price for it.

In other words unless they have some major changes to announce after they see how there inevitable results turn out I don't think they will be lasting long in their market.
Old 22-06-2010   #2
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
Its not going to catch on for sure now.

You want us to pay full price for downloads? Not only is it downloads, but you have a montly subscription fee? I bet you buy the system too, you dont just get it for subscribing?

Let alone I saw em at E3 and they dont have a strong lineup and there is already another company that will be rivaling them almost immidiatly that had a better reception. Then you combine the current console push with motion etc...those alone will give onlive a run for the money.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010   #3
PCN Addict
PSN ID: glen421
I agree with Dustin on this. I just don't see this catching on anytime soon like 5-10yrs. Who wants to lease a game?
glen421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010   #4
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
Its not just because its a lease, its because your still paying 60 dollars for it. Should be 30 to 40 for new games AT THE MOST. Old games shouldnt even be near 20.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010   #5
PCN Master
PSN ID: m0tl3ysl4y3r
I don't think I'll invest in it yet, I still prefer to have a hard copy of a game and not a digital copy and like Dustin said, I wouldn't wanna pay full price for a digital copy of a game, especially if they take it down after a while