Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > PlayStation Chat > PlayStation 3 Discussion
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 10-11-2009   #1
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
Criterion making a new Need for Speed for 2010

Well awhile back we heard that Criterion was going to be making a new Need for Speed game, well now we know that the game will not be a sequel to the newly released games Nitro or Shift and should come out in 2010. No words though on what the concept for the game is though.

In other related EA news, EA is apparently canceling 12 games and laying off 1500 workers after just spending 300 million to acquire Playfish. These cuts are expected to save EA 100 million a year. Just when you thought they were going in the right direction about producing new IP's.
Old 10-11-2009   #2
PCN Master
PSN ID: SaintAvi
They are in a tough spot, they have to please their shareholders, I hear that they lost
some money to the tune of about 400million.

It sucks they had to hand all those people their walking papers but its becoming an
increasingly crowded market

As for Criterion, I'd have to guess that they would return to an arcadey game. Personally I got my
eye on Split/Second for my racing fix

Last edited by SaintAvi; 10-11-2009 at 10:22 PM..
SaintAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009   #3
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
Gotta look at it this way, what other company is inventing new IP's? Not only new, but entirely new ideas?

Valve (if you call them a third party) is milking their half life engine and doing nothin but sequals...the last "creative" thing we saw from them was a 2 hour game called Portal.
Activision is milking Call of Duty like no other, let alone Guitar Hero and all the other crappy periphal games.
Ubisoft I guess you could give them a break, they are reinventing things with Assassins creed etc...and its been a while since we have seen a Rainbow Six or Ghost Recon, but at the same time they are developing further into the movie industry and what not and they are making smart business moves with Eidos.

EA on the other hand is so massive that a recession hurts them badly. Its like having an army of ships, if one ship starts to sink, your whole fleet is gonna suffer. Other than their sports games, what have we honestly seen them milking? Battlefield is evolving, NFS is evolving, etc... Nothing was a Guitar Hero for them, not even Rock Band.

You also have to think, last generation EA and Sony went hand in hand. This generation wasnt so. They jumped on the Wii bandwagon early, failed there and made people hate them. Then they said "no we will stay in the middle" with 360 and PS3 and that isnt working out too well. Finally they go back to Sony with Battlefield and hopefully thats just the start of many things to come.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009   #4
Staff
PSN ID: ExcelBeyond
Ah, Dustin, I don't agree with like anything you said lol.

EA and Sony went hand to hand on the PS2 only out of necessity. Since the Saturn days, EA and Sega weren't on speaking terms, which is what led to Sega creating their own sports brand. EA couldn't make games for them, so they turned to Sony, as the Dreamcast and PS2 were the only consoles on the market.

I don't get how you can accuse everyone else of milking franchises when EA does the same thing. EA has progressed since the 'evil empire' days, but I mean, look at their line up over the next few months, you have Army of Two 2, Mass Effect 2, Bad Company 2, and a God of War clone. In particular, I don't see Army of Two as being innovative at all, and even less so with Dante's Inferno.

I know it's the cool thing to hate Activision now, but they've put out some decent IPs too. They put out Prototype earlier this year and reinvigorated the Wolfenstein property. X-Men Origins was also probably one of the best takes on a licensed property we've seen in years. And of course, no one can even begin to downplay what the Blizzard side has been doing for Activision.

Anyways, in regards to Need for Speed, I'm actually kinda ****ed they've got Criterion working on Need for Speed. Without a doubt, it's gonna be some sorta Burnout/NFS child that ultimately just dilutes both properties. Plus, I'd rather have Criterion working on another Black game.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009   #5
SuperStaff
Im not saying sequals are bad, im saying EA isnt just sitting on their arse and milking a namebrand. When was the last time Valve made anything out of this world? Not since Half Life (and even then to me was nothing special). Meanwhile EA has Army of Two, yes, NFS, yes, Battlefield ETC but they are all entirely revamped and massive improvements on the last. NFS Shift was stated to be one of the best racers ever made, and the sales prove it. How many awards did the NHL franchise win in the past two years alone? How much praise did the last Madden game recieve? Etc...the list is endless.

Meanwhile Activision throws out Guitar Hero 5, not because it innovated anything, but because GH4 sales started to suck. Argue DJ Hero, but is it really that much of a leap? Take the insturments, put them in a new plastic case, slap "Hero" on it and there you go.

Dante's Inferno is new for EA, I dont know if its innovative because i never played it, but its a new IP with a new name, with a new risk. Not many third parties can take risks, especially if its pushing the bar on controversy like that. Army of Two is a brilliant game lol, I love it, its creative, and puts a twist on gameplay.

And even with that Activision arguement there are counter measures. Sure EA throws out a new IP, but its GOOD. Activision throws together some left over money resources, a few interns, and you get Prototype...Want proof? Then why is Prototype absolutely horrible compared to InFamous? Because InFamous had the creative team, resources, and overall effort.

Take it a step further, not really push for quality and take a big namebrand and say "we are revamping it!" and you get Wolfenstien. Probably the biggest disapointment i had this year lol. Im a HUGE Wolfenstien, 3D, Doom, fan and that let me down beyond belief.

Its the fact that EA isn't just "meh here is an Ip see if it works" its "Here is an Idea, lets pump money and resources in it, and make it an EA namebrand" That means something now. Activision isn't doing that, if Infinity Ward wasn't pushy and let Activision push them around im sure Modern Warfare would of been World at War all over again.

People were nagging EA a year ago "you suck, you do nothing creative!" EA changed and now its high quality stuff, and they are the perfect example of why third parties cant really do it. They are struggling, new IP's and revamping costs money, thats why no one really does it. Thats why companies like Ubisoft try to stay innovative in between known namebrands.

And they went to Sony because Sony is open to working with people and came into this industry to stay. Last generation MS just wanted to milk some quick money, now they realize how important it is. Too late now as Sony is opening resources again and EA went back to cuddle with them. :)
Old 11-11-2009   #6
PCN Master
PSN ID: SaintAvi
Well to touch on a few things.

According to Dice, the PS3 beta is not favoritism but actually because according to one
of the guys on the Bad Company team

Quote:
When we were at the EA event and brought up how fast the multiplayer was, I quickly assumed we were playing over a local area network. Gordon smashed those dreams pretty quickly and informed us that we were actually playing on Xbox Live against EA and DICE employees. So naturally when people asked, “Why no Xbox Live beta?”, my quick response was, “Xbox Live is rock solid”. While it’s great to get into a beta, you should understand that it happens for reasons other than publisher braggadocio. Beta tests are meant to test code and stress servers.
As for EA not milking their franchises

But to be fair, the team at visceral are doing some cool stuff, they have a game based
on Jack the Ripper in the works, should be interesting

Ubisoft is indeed awesome and deserving of their praise.

I doubt Wolfenstein did anything for the legacy of the franchise, I believe it still hasnt
cracked the 500k mark.

As for Criterion, their work will still be sweet but will come under a new label
SaintAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009   #7
1337 Sauce
PSN ID: bharat4ever
I wonder what happened to "I am alive" by ubi...
That is a brand new IP, and it's changing hands so often that i fear it'll be dropped soon.
bharat4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009   #8
SuperStaff
Lego Rock Band, one of the million things lol. Every company has that franchise thats targeted towards casual audiences that needs no improvements to it, and LEGO + rock band = perfect.

and i think the whole DICE thing has to be a cover up. They are still beta testing Xbox Live, just later. Sony had to step up with EA and get it early. Same with Brutal Legen having the DLC be free for a week on PSN.
Old 11-11-2009   #9
Staff
PSN ID: ExcelBeyond
@Rockband stuff - I'm not even sure that Rockband is an EA IP. EA only does the publishing and distributing abroad, I think Harmonix owns the IP. Lego Rockband is a collaboration of WB and Harmonix/MTV Games, I don't think EA is even involved in that.

I guess it all boils down to a matter of opinion. Don't get me wrong, I love the new direction EA is going, and the majority of my post was just to play Devil's advocate :P But in particular, the Madden franchise has been used pretty poorly ever since they got the exclusive license for the NFL. Madden 10 is probably the best Madden in recent years, but they are STILL just adding features that were in NFL 2K5 like 5 years ago.

As for the BFBC2 beta stuff, I think it's a bit of a leap to try to say that Dice is trying to cover up a marketing agreement lol, basic Occam's razor. I thought it was a marketing thing at first glance, but I've heard from 2 other people what SaintAvi is saying. Also, to clarify, I don't believe they said they would be beta testing the 360 version. In the release, they specifically say a demo(not beta) would be available on all 3 platforms next year.

And finally, @ I Am Alive, I'm trying to find out more info on that game myself actually. I was a big fan of the Disaster Report/Raw Danger games for PS2, really hope it ends up like those but better. One thing I did notice was that, during their Q2 financial reports, UbiSoft didn't even mention it releasing in Q4(Jan-March), when it was supposed to be due out during that time period...
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009   #10
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
To say that EA's betting on the Wii was a little crummy is almost an understatement, the recently released Dead Space: Extraction for Wii has only managed around 9,000 copies in sales and the boss himself is willing to admit the Wii hasn't been a good platform in terms of sales as a whole. The one thing I hate is they are facing some losses this year, fine everyone has but they cut back on expenses, so why in the hell do you go out and spend 300 million on acquiring a developer who makes games for things like Facebook.