Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > PlayStation Chat > PlayStation 3 Discussion > PlayStation 3 News
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 24-04-2011   #1
PS3 News Feed
PSN Upgrade a Better Reimbursement

Perhaps Sony will surprise us and give us an all new experience.

Read More...
System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011   #2
PCN Addict
PSN ID: glen421
I know what I want Sony to do but that will not happen. I think there are a couple of things are at play here.

1. Does Sony owe you (gamers) anything since you pay $0 for the service? IMO yes. Technically we pay $0 for a direct subscription service. However, thru DLC like Avatars, Themes, and such you/we kinda pay for Sony to support. Also, all the games advertise PSN support.So if you buy a game today (this very minute) there is no PSN support. Please don't go and buy MAG.

2. Also There is a cultural element at play here as of a lack of communication on Sony's part. I suggest you watch Freakonomics (stream on Netflix for PS3). In the movie they talk about the Sumo culture and Japanese cover ups. Or just watch the ever denial of a Nuclear meltdown at the Fukushima Plant and you'll see how things differ from the rest of the world. The Japanese tend to keep things internally and resolve internally. This is why we haven't heard much on a what happened and what are they doing about it.

3. Security. In the world of IT. You don't go around telling people who are trying/or did infiltrate your network what you are doing to combat/resolve this illegal activity. You just don't do it. So there is a little bit of understanding here.

This is just my quick response to an ever continuing issue....
glen421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011   #3
PCN Master
PSN ID: m0tl3ysl4y3r
I don't really think they're gonna give us much since we play for free, so they prolly won't wanna give us anything back when they're not making money off of us using the service.

I see where Glen is coming from though since they are losing money by not having people downloading stuff off of the store
Old 26-04-2011   #4
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
A ton of articles spawned off of this article haha, I feel kinda bad for getting peoples hopes up so high.

Like stated does Sony owe us anything? Absolutely not, it wasn't their fault and the service is free. However it boils down to public appearance. Sony over the past year has been working extremely hard to improve their image, with better customer service and better products. It has been doing wonders and they are becoming a trusted company again.

If Sony wants to retain that image, they will provide something to the users when the network comes back online. If they don't think the issue will be that bad and will brush over within a week or so, then no we won't get anything. It seriously boils down to how much bad press they will receive if they don't do it.

They are already in bad waters as when Xbox Live did something similar, everyone got a free game. Be it you pay for that service, it doesn't matter. How many people would own a PS3 without PSN?
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2011   #5
PCN Addict
Now that we have found out what happened to cause the outage. Do you still think Sony doesn't owe you anything? That's directed at Dustin.....

So I guess the people who play DC Universe Online don't get anything for their paid subsription?
Old 27-04-2011   #6
SuperStaff
I understand the rage behind it, but when you think about it how many companies have this happen all the time? They are not liable for it, and we understand the risks of inputting our information into anything we access runs this risk.

However like stated, if they dont want us to be so ****ed about it they will give us something.

Am I stating I dont want something? No. and yes im extremely ****ed off at Sony right now, but mad or not you have to think human.

(I mean this in kind regards, its hard to portray that through text lol)
Old 27-04-2011   #7
SuperStaff
I understand the rage behind it, but when you think about it how many companies have this happen all the time? They are not liable for it, and we understand the risks of inputting our information into anything we access runs this risk.

However like stated, if they dont want us to be so ****ed about it they will give us something.

Am I stating I dont want something? No. and yes im extremely ****ed off at Sony right now, but mad or not you have to think human.

(I mean this in kind regards, its hard to portray that through text lol)
Old 27-04-2011   #8
PCN Master
I've been hearing (actually reading i guess) saying that Sony has no motivation to fix it, since they give us PSN for free. I think that most of the people saying it could be xbots though lol
Old 27-04-2011   #9
SuperStaff
Thinking logically. Sony is probably losing close to a 100k dollars everyday its not online. Thats the bare minimum. This goes for advertising, store purchases, HOME, websites, etc...It may not be paid, but PSN is a major asset to Sony profits. Lets also not forget Sony will be missing release day tomorrow, where the mark goes up even higher. Lots more people will try to log in thanks to weekly store updates, and nobody will be able to buy new games.
Old 27-04-2011   #10
PCN Master
apparently, Sony is being sued for this breach now, what do you guys think about that
Old 27-04-2011   #11
PCN Addict
A lawsuit is really the only way to get transparency on what (personal data) was compromised. A US Congressman has also written Sony (Jack Tretton) to get answers on the issue as well. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

There isn't a website on the internet that is NOT talking about this......
Old 27-04-2011   #12
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
Lawsuit, inevitable, people sue over anything and everything so it was really just a countdown to see how long it took to have a lawsuit filed.

In terms of something that will actually matter to gamers right now, the latest from Sony is that some PSN services should be up within a week from yesterday and that there will be a mandatory update that will force you to change your account password on the PSN.

Personally, I hope to hell that lawsuit really drives home to Sony how bad this situation is and gives them some hard punishment, but I'm biased as I just came out of a Web Security course in college and we talked about these very things and the measures companies should be taking and aren't.

Last edited by X_Racer1; 27-04-2011 at 10:03 PM..
X_Racer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011   #13
PCN Master
I know I'm changing my password as soon as I go on after they fix psn, I hope they're able to fix it soon
Old 28-04-2011   #14
SuperStaff
Personally I think they should of already gotten up the web based services. At the very least PlayStation.com should be up in a secure manner so we could change our passwords and at least post on their official forums with several official Sony employees browsing the topics.

The official website used to run as "Underground" and the login system was entirely separate from PSN. They could of done something similar, then transferred that data over to the actual PSN when it was back up.