Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > PlayStation Chat > PlayStation 3 Discussion
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 23-02-2010   #1
PCN Master
PSN ID: SaintAvi
Extra Ram unlocked for Dev's

Yesiree, it's practically unheard of to have a console have its spec's bumped up
during it's life cycle but its true its true.

Sony has reduced the footprint of the PS3 OS from 120mb to 50mb. Giving
dev's an extra 70mb to play with.

It probably won't be anything earth shattering, a dev was quoted saying "any bit of RAM helps. Generally it probably won't change design, but might allow extra effects resolution or dynamic lights or something. Probably more beneficial from the systems and art side then from design/gameplay."

Still sounds good to me.

Source
SaintAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010   #2
PCN Master
PSN ID: Dipchit02
hmm that is good news i mean like you said it probably wont allow anything to earth shattering but still any little bit helps
Dipchit02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010   #3
PCN Addict
PSN ID: glen421
As we all know the PS3's 256mb dedicated gaming RAM has been an issue for the 3rd party devs producing the multiplatform titiles. So this is deffinetely good news and now hopefully mulitplats will start looking a little bit better on the PS3. I just wonder how Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2 would have looked with this extra RAM.

I will inform you we still lack behind the 360 OS which only uses about 32mb and it's undedicated 512mb of RAM
glen421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010   #4
PCN Master
really the 360 only uses 32mb? i woudl have thought it would be more with all the avatar crap they got on there
Old 24-02-2010   #5
PCN Addict
I do believe that all of the "avatar crap" is stored on external memory units or internal (seperate from RAM) memory depending on your release of console. That was the big issue with the NXE update of '08 you needed space on HDD or memory card to update.

I do believe all 360 consoles come with 256mb of "flash memory" not RAM installed internally now. Some correct me if I'm wrong on this.
Old 25-02-2010   #6
PCN Addict
I have been reading a lot of articles on this as my courisosity has increased on what does this mean for the PS3. I haven't seen much response from devs on this but some PS3 ownershave some pretty good questions.

1. Is this what the OS is currently or are we (PS3 owners) going to see this in a future update?
2. Is this new OS only for PS3 slim models or all models?
3. Also will this be like PC gaming where a game may not perform or look good on a PC with minimum RAM reqs but play the same game on a upper end PC and we will see the difference?

Anyone know the answers?

Well all in all this isn't bad news.
Old 25-02-2010   #7
PCN Master
as far as 1 goes i would think that it would be a future update not what it is new. like that is what the new OS that they are going to put a patch out for some time soon will run at.
2. It wouldnt make sense to have the OS only on the slim because then games that require that extra ram wouldnt be able to run on the older versions or at least wouldnt run nearly as well as they are supposed to
3.I dont know if it will be like PC but it will be interesting to find out if older games run/look better with the extra RAM released
Old 01-03-2010   #8
PCN Addict
I wonder if the extra RAM and the GT5 delays are some how connected.
Old 01-03-2010   #9
PCN Master
PSN ID: m0tl3ysl4y3r
that could be true, I'd like to see how that would affect that