Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > General Chat > Off Topic
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 21-06-2009   #21
PCN Senior
PSN ID: jordan123x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin S. View Post

BTW no one i know has a mac because I tell them i wont help them with it if they do it, and refuse to bother lol. Plus I "have" to use them in college and it sucks, i hate using them and use my laptop as much as possible.Stupid movie classes....even though half of the best movie studios us PC...
Sounds like you hate macs. Why's this?
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2009   #22
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
I just do, having to use them at school sucks. I dont like how anything feels or looks. Ive used PC and MS my entire life so im more comfortable with their systems and can better understand how they work, aka why i know how to fix most of PC problems and always tell everyone i know to get one or i wont fix their comp. (funny how I can support PlayStation and MS in the same site? haha) I just dont think Apple is doing anything great with any of their products, its just "differnt" and people think its better and its not. If the number of people using pc started using macs you will see just as many viruses (if not more), just as many problems, just as many complaints etc...
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2009   #23
PCN Senior
Quote:
I just do, having to use them at school sucks. I dont like how anything feels or looks. Ive used PC and MS my entire life so im more comfortable with their systems and can better understand how they work, aka why i know how to fix most of PC problems and always tell everyone i know to get one or i wont fix their comp. (funny how I can support PlayStation and MS in the same site? haha) I just dont think Apple is doing anything great with any of their products, its just "differnt" and people think its better and its not. If the number of people using pc started using macs you will see just as many viruses (if not more), just as many problems, just as many complaints etc...
I see where you're coming from but the way I see it as macs are great for the average consumer, and people that use its specialized advantages. I mean when I got on my old PC (which isn't very old, 1 gig ram etc.) it restarts programs unexpectedly, takes forever to load, firewire doesn't always work and is just a pain in the ass. My mac hasn't had any of these problems which is why I think it's good for the average consumer. For things like audio production I think a mac is almost essential.

Pc's can be great for people that are used to them (though it's not hard getting used to a mac) or people that know a **** load about computers. They both have different advantages for different demographics. Both Pc's and macs are great and I would only recommend one over the other after hearing the persons needs.
Old 21-06-2009   #24
SuperStaff
Still though, kinda depends what you buy as well. Like me i LOVE PC, but ill never tell anyone to buy a Dell or some other crappy brand. Macs on the other hand you have Apple making it or....Apple making it so thats always a good thing. I dont know what PC you bought though, and i understand your complaints on PC for that reason.

I Own Alienware which has NEVER had a single problem with it(and even though Dell owns them now, they still operate as a separate branch) and an HP which is on its 5th year and is just now begining to slow down, all i need to do though is open it up clean it out and spend like 100 bucks on new parts(maybe less).

I applaud Apple for its programs however and thats probably one thing im jealous of. I love Garage Band for when i make movies etc...and Imovie is pretty cool. However i have plenty of programs on my PC that do just as well, only missing Garage Band lol. I did one movie on my PC for my film teacher/professor and he goes "good job, Imovie?" and when i said nope did it on my laptop he was like WTH? lol

Like you said though Apple it probably depends on how you use it and how well you know computers. Im IT certified so i kinda lean towards PC more for that reason lol.
Old 22-06-2009   #25
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
What it comes down to is hardware and software, Microsoft supports millions of combinations and can't possibly test them all, Apple controls almost everything, hence fewer "problems". As long as you buy a good brand though, you shouldn't have issues, or better yet, build your own system and pick quality parts. The problem brands are Dell as Dustin mentioned (Both their laptops and PC's are bad), Toshiba (Laptops, I worked as a computer technician and 80-90% of laptops we sent off for service we couldn't perform were Toshiba's (I.E motherboard replacement, screen replacement, etc since we don't have the space to carry the parts), some even came back with new problems after being fixed). Some great ones are HP, I have 2 machines, a laptop and desktop and the both run fine at 2 and 1 years of age and I recently tuned up an HP machine of someone I know, probably at 10 years of age and used in a smoking environment (which is hard on computers) and it still ran great, just they had gotten themselves infected with some malware which wasn't surprising since they aren't exactly computer literate. Sony is also a good name in laptops, desktops not so much, but I not sure they even sell desktops anymore. Acer is alright as well, they definitely aren't as bad as Dell and one of our tech computers was an Acer desktop, never let us down, laptops are touch and go, some will run without issues, some have minor issues, but at their price point, you can't go wrong.
Old 22-06-2009   #26
PCN Master
PSN ID: SaintAvi
My biggest argument about people who hate on PC's is that they really can not compare a $400 dell to a $100+ Mac, sink in the same amount of money into the PC and you will get
a fantastic machine
SaintAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009   #27
PCN Master
Actually sometimes you can, for the sake of showing this I'll post links to two similar spec computers, one Mac, one Windows, and we can see the price difference.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0118715&catid=

The Mac machine to sum up the specs has an Intel Core 2 Duo at 2.0 GHz, 120GB Hard Drive, 1GB of RAM (expandable to 4GB) and an onboard graphics processor.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0117820&catid=

The Acer machine has an AMD Dual Core at 2.1GHz, 160GB Hard Drive, 2GB of RAM, and an onboard graphics processor which is upgradeable to a discrete video card.

The price difference between the two, the Acer clocks in at less than half the price at $349.97 where the Mac goes for $729.99 and the Acer is completely upgradeable where the Mac isn't. So the Acer machine is more powerful, cheaper, upgradeable, and compatible with more products and software. Also for the sake of it, for still less than the price of that Mac, you can get from Futureshop the following system:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0117886&catid=

That HP system has a AMD Phenom Quad Core processor at 1.8GHz, 500GB Hard Drive space, 4GB of RAM, and a discrete video card with up to 128MB of video memory which is upgradeable, all for $649.99 on sale, $39 off or you can get the exact same machine just refurbished and still under 1 year warranty, for $499.95.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0121164&catid=

So why pay more for an Apple when you can get a quality system like those or for the same money build your own system that could blow those out of the water.
Old 22-06-2009   #28
PCN Senior
Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Racer1 View Post
Actually sometimes you can, for the sake of showing this I'll post links to two similar spec computers, one Mac, one Windows, and we can see the price difference.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0118715&catid=

The Mac machine to sum up the specs has an Intel Core 2 Duo at 2.0 GHz, 120GB Hard Drive, 1GB of RAM (expandable to 4GB) and an onboard graphics processor.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0117820&catid=

The Acer machine has an AMD Dual Core at 2.1GHz, 160GB Hard Drive, 2GB of RAM, and an onboard graphics processor which is upgradeable to a discrete video card.

The price difference between the two, the Acer clocks in at less than half the price at $349.97 where the Mac goes for $729.99 and the Acer is completely upgradeable where the Mac isn't. So the Acer machine is more powerful, cheaper, upgradeable, and compatible with more products and software. Also for the sake of it, for still less than the price of that Mac, you can get from Futureshop the following system:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0117886&catid=

That HP system has a AMD Phenom Quad Core processor at 1.8GHz, 500GB Hard Drive space, 4GB of RAM, and a discrete video card with up to 128MB of video memory which is upgradeable, all for $649.99 on sale, $39 off or you can get the exact same machine just refurbished and still under 1 year warranty, for $499.95.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0121164&catid=

So why pay more for an Apple when you can get a quality system like those or for the same money build your own system that could blow those out of the water.
Well the mac os, quality of hardware as well as certain programs might a reason. I think regardless of specs whether or not you want a mac or pc should be based on your needs. I'm into audio production and I can tell you that I would not be happy with a pc with 5x the specs. My mac is essential as a computer for me. I think they're hard to compare. Both high-end pcs and macs are great. I don't think either should be hated.
Old 22-06-2009   #29
PCN Master
Mac's run on the same hardware as PC's do, I could if I want order the exact same parts used in any Mac machine, slap them into a case, install Windows and have the same "quality" hardware, why do you think you can run Windows on a Mac these days, your just paying for the casing it comes in and the OS and honestly the OS is nothing to shout about, all the good programs on Mac's have PC counterparts that do the same job or an even better job.

Last edited by X_Racer1; 22-06-2009 at 01:44 AM..
X_Racer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009   #30
PCN Senior
Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Racer1 View Post
Mac's run on the same hardware as PC's do, why do you think you can run Windows on a Mac these days, your just paying for the casing it comes in and the OS and honestly the OS is nothing to shout about, all the good programs on Mac's have PC counterparts that do the same job or an even better job.
ahh it sounds like you've already made up your mind. Well It comes down to needs like I said. I love the OS and come on, Vista? Vista is what's nothing to brag about. When you buy a mac you know you're buying quality is what I meant about the quality comment. Not all good programs on mac have pc counterparts that are as good or better ex. Logic Pro and Garageband. I don't know if I can put it in any different of words then mac and pcs are suited towards different people. Plus Macs are quite sexy and easier to use I should add.
Old 22-06-2009   #31
MOD
PSN ID: sauberbmw
haha too bad i dont fit into any of this cause i use neither OS. i am a linux guy and i tend to go towards things that i can use or need. a 2000 macbook is not necessary for me nor is a 2000 pc. my computer was like 800 dolaars and was still a bit too much but hey, we all have different taste right.
Sauberbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009   #32
SuperStaff
Quote:
Well the mac os, quality of hardware as well as certain programs might a reason. I think regardless of specs whether or not you want a mac or pc should be based on your needs. I'm into audio production and I can tell you that I would not be happy with a pc with 5x the specs. My mac is essential as a computer for me. I think they're hard to compare. Both high-end pcs and macs are great. I don't think either should be hated.
The only problem with this. Its possible to have Vista(its awesome for games and making movies and is just terrific if you learn to use it, which comes with time), XP, Linux (any of them), and Mac OSX (yes its possible, but i dont know why youd want it except to run garage band)on a PC. Plus you could list any program that is only on Mac and PC will have a counter part, if not multiple counter parts, with the except of Garage Band unless your into writing music. Im sure a few programs give or take, but are those few programs worth spending an extra couple 100 bucks to get?

HP is really good hardware, let alone they use the same companies and hardware as Apple, Intel for example. The AMD Phenom processor is amazing none the less. Plus given 800 dollars, any person that knows how to build a computer (its not hard at all) could build a computer with twice the specs of that HP with quality products without a problem at all, probably even have money left over if your good at it. Or if you dont want to spend the money upfront, buy a 300 dollar computer with a good processor and spend the money to upgrade it later.

Your not getting any better "quality" for a over priced machine, your just getting something "differnt" like i said. A computer breaks you bring it to one of the 100 IT Technicians within your area that could get it fixed within a matter of minutes, Apple breaks its usually hardware issue and needs to be completely replaced. My old class had like 5 or 6 apple computers break within a semester, and were contantly replacing them every semester after that. The Apple laptops though are pretty nice, i could see someone spending a couple extra 100 bucks for those as its somewhat worth it.

BTW what type of audio are you interested in? My friend is going to college for music (orchestra) and is AMAZING at what he does, writes his own music and everything. He uses programs on PC to do it though and cant stand Garage band lol.
Old 22-06-2009   #33
PCN Senior
Quote:
The only problem with this. Its possible to have Vista(its awesome for games and making movies and is just terrific if you learn to use it, which comes with time), XP, Linux (any of them), and Mac OSX (yes its possible, but i dont know why youd want it except to run garage band)on a PC. Plus you could list any program that is only on Mac and PC will have a counter part, if not multiple counter parts, with the except of Garage Band unless your into writing music. Im sure a few programs give or take, but are those few programs worth spending an extra couple 100 bucks to get?

HP is really good hardware, let alone they use the same companies and hardware as Apple, Intel for example. The AMD Phenom processor is amazing none the less. Plus given 800 dollars, any person that knows how to build a computer (its not hard at all) could build a computer with twice the specs of that HP with quality products without a problem at all, probably even have money left over if your good at it. Or if you dont want to spend the money upfront, buy a 300 dollar computer with a good processor and spend the money to upgrade it later.

Your not getting any better "quality" for a over priced machine, your just getting something "differnt" like i said. A computer breaks you bring it to one of the 100 IT Technicians within your area that could get it fixed within a matter of minutes, Apple breaks its usually hardware issue and needs to be completely replaced. My old class had like 5 or 6 apple computers break within a semester, and were contantly replacing them every semester after that. The Apple laptops though are pretty nice, i could see someone spending a couple extra 100 bucks for those as its somewhat worth it.

BTW what type of audio are you interested in? My friend is going to college for music (orchestra) and is AMAZING at what he does, writes his own music and everything. He uses programs on PC to do it though and cant stand Garage band lol.
Lol all Kinds of music and I write my own music and everything. I use logic pro and garageband. The thing is pc might have more powerful programs then imovie, iphoto, garageband etc but they're so simple to use that they're great for learning. I learned audio production on garageband and moved to logic pro 8 which is a lot more powerful. Some studios actually use garageband to produce whole albums (the last panic at the disco album).

These programs don't really have a counterpart because they are such great learning tools. Imovie is pretty powerful for how easy it is to use. A lot more powerful than windows movie maker. I know that there is obviously more powerful software (though more complicated) but it's usually compatible for both mac and pc. I would say 75% audio engineers use mac if not more, thought that's not saying it can't be done on a pc.

I just like having these simplistic yet powerful programs that require me not to have to learn harder programs to do almost the same thing. Like I said, Mac suits my needs more. That's what it comes down to. Neither is better.

Last edited by Jordan; 22-06-2009 at 11:39 AM..
Old 22-06-2009   #34
World Domination
Site Admin
PSN ID: Nicarlo
^^^ wow im so not getting into that discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIN View Post
Nicarlo's is awesome... wheres it from?
to be honest google found the imagine and i have no idea of the actual location of that picture. sorry
Nicarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009   #35
Staff
PSN ID: Nikhil
With the ability to run windows on mac now, there really is no reason to buy a PC anymore IMO. You can still run those programs you need that don't have a mac version, and OSX is so much more intuitive and easy to use. And this is coming from a life long pc user who just started using mac a couple months ago.
Nikhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009   #36
PCN Master
PSN ID: Dipchit02
neither of the OS are anything to really brag about i mean honestly to me the only reason to get a mac is because of virus' but i mean really just get some protection for your PC and you will be find and i just seems like more stuff is available in the software department for PC to me and i like that
Dipchit02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2009   #37
Staff
PSN ID: Nikhil
I've found that with mac there are a lot of things that make everyday navigation much easier. Spotlight, finder, expose, etc. make so many tasks easier to do than on windows. you're right about the extra software on windows, but with parallels you can essentially run them within mac.
Nikhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2009   #38
PCN Master
PSN ID: SaintAvi
Yowza did this go off the rails :P
SaintAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2009   #39
SuperStaff
Yeah but its a fun topic now lol.

Dont forget that MAX OSX can indeed run on a PC. Look it up, its completely possible. Apple absolutely hates it and constantly releases new versions and updates to stop their OS from running on PC's. However my friend has a Dell PC with MAC OSX Leapord running on it.
Old 23-06-2009   #40
1337 Sauce
PSN ID: bharat4ever
Oh man, we had to use red hat linux machines when we were in college. Sucked big time coz everything was open source. And believe me, we weren't trying to support open source or anything, just cost cutting.. .
bharat4ever is offline   Reply With Quote