Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > General Chat > Off Topic
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 13-01-2010   #1
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
College Strike is Possible

Now before you go wondering about what this is all about, first off, it doesn't affect anyone outside of Ontario, Canada so you can relax if your outside that area but over the past few weeks there's been tension in the Ontario college system because of a pending strike vote, well the initial results are in and apparently 57% of the teachers voted for a strike so if you're a college student in Ontario (including myself) we have a little more reason to be worried. Now don't jump off the bandwagon either, it's not like tomorrow everyone just walks off the job, the colleges are asking the teachers union come back to the negotiating table as soon as possible and even if they don't come to an agreement immediately they still won't be off the job at least a few more days to weeks.

Also I'm aware it's not exactly the most related news but I'm sure there will be a few forum members this will affect, even if they don't post regularly, or at all.
Old 13-01-2010   #2
PCN Master
PSN ID: m0tl3ysl4y3r
that's only the college right?
I've been hearing its university too but I doubt that
anyways, that's dumb(and selfish)that they're gonna strike
didn't they learn from the York University strike?
look how it affected those students futures
plus we have students who have payed good money to learn but they're just throwing all of the students money away
that's really all I have to say
sorry if I come off a bit aggressive but I'm just stating my opinion
Old 13-01-2010   #3
PCN Senior
PSN ID: jordan123x
Ya it's pretty inconvenient. I'm not enrolled right now because I changed courses and don't start up again until september so it doesn't affect my studies. It does my girlfriend's though and we have plans to move to Ottawa at the end of the semester. Depending on the length of the strike it could hinder our plans. I'll be ****ed if this is the case. I completed a full year of a two year course before deciding it wasn't for me. I personally thought all of my teachers were over paid to begin with. I felt a pay decrease was due, so they should not complain.

And no, I don't think its for Universities too, Justin. So you're lucky haha.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010   #4
PCN Master
I guess I'm kinda glad I chose university then (sure the workload sucks)
anyways best of luck to the people in the Ontario college system, hopefully everything works well for you and your girlfriend Jordan
Old 13-01-2010   #5
PCN Master
Universities aren't going to strike in the near future, but if things progress similar to the current college situation, Ontario universities might go on strike as well this year as CUPE has a plan that all of the 17 universities in Ontario have contracts expiring at the same time so if they don't come to a compromise they will be in a legal position to have a province wide strike vs. 2008 where just York went on strike. Obviously we have a long time before that could really be considered a possibility, I mean the colleges might not even strike but it's something that university students will have to keep in the back of their minds and I really hate that, I mean school is hard enough as it is.
Old 13-01-2010   #6
PCN Master
I have to agree, I mean school is hard enough, with all of the work and trying to figure out how to pay for it, having to worry that the school will strike makes it so much worse
anyways, I hope they don't go on strike
best of luck to people who will be affected

anyways, I found some links to how much staff at colleges in Ontario make and how much staff at Universities across Canada make
lets start with the college staff make since they're the ones wanting more
http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/publicat.../colleg09.html
that lists the most paid people at every college in the province and it appears that they don't real need to strike because they're already making enough as it is
lets go to the university staff now ( I could only find this is PDF form and its a lot of reading)
http://dsp-psd.pwgsc.gc.ca/Collectio...MIE2004019.pdf
it seems that college staff make more than university staff and college staff are still striking
I guess this relates to what Jordan said that they are overpaid already

Last edited by m0tl3sl4y3r; 14-01-2010 at 03:41 PM..
m0tl3sl4y3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010   #7
PCN Senior
PSN ID: jordan123x
Ya, definitely over paid. I can't speak for ever college and every program but mine was a joke. The teachers had no clue what they were doing. Ahh, it was frustrating.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010   #8
PCN Master
The college list though is the Ontario public disclosure list, they only list people who make over $100,000 because it's the law, that isn't an indication that all college staff make that much. Besides universities also have a list on the government fiance website and it is much bigger despite there being 7 less universities in Ontario vs. colleges (17 universities, 24 colleges). A quick copy and paste from each public disclosure list into Microsoft Word of every line in each list creates only 24 pages for the colleges, where the universities create a Word document 218 pages long.

I'm not saying though that I don't think college teachers aren't overpaid, for what some of them do they are, but I don't think the college staff make more than university staff just because of the sheer size difference between the two public disclosure lists plus the university statistics listed here were from 2003-2004, both public disclosure lists are for 2008.
Old 14-01-2010   #9
PCN Master
okay, thanks for finding better list for universities
I guess theres probably a lot more college workers than on the list I found