Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > PlayStation Chat > PlayStation 3 Discussion
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 10-12-2008   #1
PCN Senior
Ign concludes ps3 too expensive

IGN put out a good article comparing the 360 to the PS3 for the holdiay season
They even have a nice chart set out!

Take a gander
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/937/937058p2.html
EIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #2
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
This is the thing i dont get. I was planning on buy a 360 and this is why i know this, i found out its alot more expensive than it looks.

1 They didnt include the cost of bluray, even though they talked about how great it was. Sony is gonna charge them up the butt for this and its not going to be cheap if they do get it.

2 The obvious. Live. Its a needed charge and it comes free out of the box for PS3. Why wasnt it inlcuded in this? They include a headset but not live? Makes absolutely no sense to me whats so ever.

3 Headsets not all cost 30 bucks, majority do, but standard ones are like 10 or 15 now. USB headsets are even cheaper and work just as great.

4 Quality also comes into play when you buy something if you ask me....

Plus i dont know if it was a mistake on their part or not but does 360 come with HDMI and component or (what they said) just component? Cus i know for a fact component cables are alot cheaper than HDMI plus PS3 looks great in standard def, the 360 needs HD to have that edge.

Im not being a fanboy this is all from my experience of thinking "hey i have some money lets try to get a 360" and finding out things like this are false. After my final tally of getting everything i needed i was over the price of a new ps3 so i said screw it.

If you ask me Sony could easily do the same thing. Take out all the necessary parts and charge customers for online when they buy a certain model and slap a 200 or even 100 dollar price tag on it then advertise having the cheapest console but IGN would turn around and write an article about how its a rip off to consumers. I seriously used to love IGN a ton and supported them alot, but the past week alone( just one week) ive seen 3 features on how the PS3 is failing or doing crappy or isnt worth buying, and i think before that like 2 reviews biased towards the oposing 360 game.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2008   #3
PCN Senior
yo Dustin check this out
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/938/938179p1.html

I don;t think you'll be too happy with IGN again...
Old 13-12-2008   #4
SuperStaff
Yeah i dont get that one either. Home is still a beta and just opened and Sony doesnt really have anything planned till next week. Right now Sony is just trying to get people in and get the servers set up.

Yes it is still kinda lacking but i realise its just getting going. I also dont get how they said so many great things about the xbox expererince and how it wasnt lacking or anything. Home is way more in depth as a community and is way bigger than the xbox experience in my opinion. They think its a game and its not, its a experence. One guy said "why not just txt someone or do stuff from the XMB" thing is PS3 users have that choice too. You can do that on xbox as well, why use the experience? The movies thing and all that, like i said its just getting going.

Yeah then he talks about lack of netflix support and whatever. This one just put me over the top and IGN is done, i thought gamespot was horrible with biasness but just wow IGN somehow found a way to top it.

All i have to say is thank god for Ryan, looks like at least one writer at IGN owns a PS3. He actually understands what its about, he nit picked at certain things, but i agree with him. The other 3 came out bashing it from the get go, one guy said he has been bashing it since the unveiling at E3 (good job with that one).

Our Home thoughts are coming here very soon, so dont worry. Im doing my best to nitpick at it but i understand thats its just the begining of a COMMUNITY unlike IGN.....
Old 16-12-2008   #5
1337 Sauce
PSN ID: INF3RNO132103
by the time you add in xbox live for 50 bucks a year, a 100 dollar wifi adapter, an hdmi cable, ect, the ps3 is cheaper.
inferno1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008   #6
PCN Senior
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno1321 View Post
by the time you add in xbox live for 50 bucks a year, a 100 dollar wifi adapter, an hdmi cable, ect, the ps3 is cheaper.
Agreed, but those are usually addons for more serious gamers, while regular families will only see that the base product is so much cheaper than the PS3. So Xbox has a lower barrier of entry than PS3 because of the prohibitive price; Xbox players can still play the basic games without all the addons and enjoy themselves, while PS3 players have to shell it out.
What makes it better for microsoft is that once people have entered the xbox market, they can always choose to upgrade or not, which makes the decision a whole lot easier.
Old 17-12-2008   #7
SuperStaff
I can see what you mean by the core console appealing to casual players and its true. Casual players are merely buying the cheaper console to play a game that not many actual gamers care about. Nintendo made this big and Microsoft is basically just leeching off that for left over sales basically.

The problem is that people that actually want a console should get a PS3. The "cheap" 360 doesnt even have a hard drive and unlike the ps3 MS makes you buy their product instead, so thats like a 100 dollar addtion. Then people like me like WiFi best.... The problem is that MS already pulled casual gamers in so now they are thinking "lets get more into games and become a bigger gamer" and well you already blew 200 bucks on a 360 might as well spend another 100 to 200 on it and upgrade instead of buying a whole new console for 400. Then of course its one giant bandwagon right now that everyone has to jump on board cus its "cool" which makes things twice as bad for Sony.

Sony its simple, on paper at least. ADVERTISE, show them your actually cheaper in the end, show off all the great things you have. Then price drop as soon as you possibly can.

I already saw one awesome add for the movies that really did a good job at connecting with me as a gamer lol. He accidently turns on the movie store before he plays a game and his GF walks in, "ALLLLL you wanna watch a movie with me? Of course we can keep the PS3 now" lol

Now we just need "Why pay for online when you can have all this for free" or "tired of the same old casual games? Get a ps3" and finally "Killzone 2, nuff said, HELLS YEAH" haha
Old 17-12-2008   #8
1337 Sauce
Sony has gone crazy advertising right now. There are ads all over the web (ign, ect.) for blueray and PSN/PS3. It's about time. And the origonal xbox made the same mistake sony made with the ps3, except they recognized it. by including a hard drive in every system it made them very difficult to bring the price down without losing insane amounts of money. hence the xbox 360 arcade. Sony on the other hand added the hard drive and blue ray player, putting them in the same predicament.
Old 17-12-2008   #9
PCN Senior
Quote:
Sony has gone crazy advertising right now. There are ads all over the web (ign, ect.) for blueray and PSN/PS3. It's about time. And the origonal xbox made the same mistake sony made with the ps3, except they recognized it. by including a hard drive in every system it made them very difficult to bring the price down without losing insane amounts of money. hence the xbox 360 arcade. Sony on the other hand added the hard drive and blue ray player, putting them in the same predicament.
I have no clue what you just wrote there...
Could you clarify? Are you saying PS3 should take out the hard drive to stay competitive? I
Old 19-12-2008   #10
1337 Sauce
it's much too late to take out the hard drive. i'm saying that sony made the same mistake microsoft made last generation with the xbox. The origonal xbox had a hard drive in every system making it very hard for them to cut the price (HDs are expensive) and keep up with sony. Microsoft learned from that mistake (Hence the Xbox 360 Arcade Model). this generation it is the other way around. Sony is already losing lots of money for every ps3 sold, so it is very hard for them to cut the price on the system when there is so much expensive hardware in there. (blue-ray, hard drive, ect).

is that clearer?
Old 19-12-2008   #11
SuperStaff
The thing is hard drives are really not that expensive anymore and its actually the key thing that put sony over the top with developers. With an HDD in every system allows developers to install games and run other things etc...if its in random consoles they cant really utilize it anymore and its pretty much pointless. A 500 GB HDD is only like 80 bucks now, sony has what 120 GB ones in the new consoles?

I can see your point as sony did make the "mistake" but it was with blu ray. However blu ray is getting cheaper too and before oyu know it Sony will be able to compete again.

The thing i see though is Sony is focusing on PS4 right under our noses. Think about it. Home, Blu ray, exclusives, technology, its all going to be carried over to PS4 and used in much better ways. Now its going to be cheaper and easier to make sony wont need to focus on getting it developed and will make money right off the back, let alone devs will have a better grasp of how to use it as well. 360 is basically mimicing the PC and your not really doing anything special when you do that so i think devs will love PlayStation soon. I think next year we are going to see PS3 have a hard price drop and with that major advertising and PS3 is going to become a contender finally, right now sony just is trying to do too much.
Old 21-12-2008   #12
PCN Senior
Quote:
it's much too late to take out the hard drive. i'm saying that sony made the same mistake microsoft made last generation with the xbox. The origonal xbox had a hard drive in every system making it very hard for them to cut the price (HDs are expensive) and keep up with sony. Microsoft learned from that mistake (Hence the Xbox 360 Arcade Model). this generation it is the other way around. Sony is already losing lots of money for every ps3 sold, so it is very hard for them to cut the price on the system when there is so much expensive hardware in there. (blue-ray, hard drive, ect).

is that clearer?
Much clearer.
But I agree with Dustin here, the killer wasn't the HDD but the Blu-ray and Wifi capabilities. The fricking laser diode is a couple hundred dollars in and of itself! HDD are not expensive nowadays AT ALL and including a 120 GB is just the basic minimum if you think about it.

But i disagree with Dustiin over the PS4 thing. SCE Europe has stated that PS4 is NOT under development. Although this is exactly what Sony would say if they WERE developping a new console, with the current economic situation I find it hard to believe they'd sink another couple hundred million $s into something so soon after PS3s launch.. just doesnt make business sense.

http://www.ps3center.net/news/2010/s...playstation-4/
read up if you want proof
Old 22-12-2008   #13
1337 Sauce
i have to agree with you there. luckly all the prices of those are coming down pretty fast (especially Blue-Ray)
Old 23-12-2008   #14
SuperStaff
Im not really saying they are building or getting PS4 itself ready im saying they are setting up everything for the future/ end of PS3 that will lead into PS4 if and when it comes out. The thing is Sony already came out and stated Home will be carried over to other generations of consoles, thats what led me to believe they are setting up PS4. Im just saying they are setting them selves up to last longer than this generation while Xbox and Wii isnt exactly in the same boat. They dont necessarily need to plan PS4 just yet i think PS3 still has a few years left in it, but they are planning their future alot better. Developing things now that will be built upon and readily availible in the future. Bluray is going to last through next generation, Home is going to be carried over ,HDD are going to become standard in all 3 consoles, online will obviously be a huge part of it etc

Yeah they announced that ps4 is not in the planning stages at all, but if you want to sell PS3 thats the thing you HAVE to say. The minute you say "yeah we are planning ps4" sales will slide even further. But the main thing is right after they said that they said that home will be carried over to other generations of PlayStation....Nothing wrong with planning the future though, Sony is just a smart company thats all im saying. After taking some economics classes you learn how you can do business, either earn money or go for quality and it really makes you respect what sony is doing right now.
Old 23-12-2008   #15
"The New Guy"
In the end, if you want a system that has it all as far as features and quality set, you're getting a PS3 because of the addon costs to the 360 later on would make you pay more. However, how many people actually buy an item not based of a WANT or emotion. You know, the casual gamers. In fact, that's probably the leverage Microsoft focused on liked Nintendo.

You get the casual gamer hooked on an easy price. Then if they want, they could addon to it later. However, since they are invested into the system, they wouldn't mind spending more (even with all the bugs and whatnot).

I believe the PS3 has a great idea to offer all the great things and then some out of the box, but I haven't seen them deliver a message clearly stating that. It is obvious to the more hardcore gamer, but to the casual market (which outnumbers the hardcore market and then some) they don't see it and so resort to buying what's the cheapest - according to them.

Dustin has got a point that Sony is picking up the pace and that others seems bias towards PS3. But I believe that it's bias towards what? They could be just looking at the market in SALES at a whole and not know exactly what Sony has up their sleeve.

Ok, case in point. We finally know when Killzone 2 is coming out. But what about White Knight? Japan is getting, but I hope it isn't a whole year before Europe or America sees it. Nowadays, American released games are getting ported to Japan, but quick within a range of 6 months or less. That would be sweet.

In any case, Sony is doing their thing because they must know what they GOT and are letting us get to know, it'll be a matter of time before everyone has a PS3 :)
bytemap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2008   #16
PCN Senior
I wouldnt hold my breath about White Knight... apparently it flopped it japan... HARD
Old 24-12-2008   #17
1337 Sauce
yup. that's what i heard. and it just got average reviews.. too bad
Old 27-12-2008   #18
Staff
PSN ID: ExcelBeyond
Off topic on WKC - it got a 29/40 from Famitsu(which is essentially a 7/10), but sales are great, in it's first week it will have sold the best out of any next gen RPG to date.

On topic, while I think everyone can agree that the PS3 is the best value(easily), the 360, for what its worth, is still the cheapest. Microsoft is using the traditional 'foot in the door' sales method with the 360 - the consumer sees it for $200 VS $250 or $400 and picks it up. Then, since you already spent that much, the other 'little' things, the HDD, the WiFi, the headset, etc don't seem to be as much of a big deal, even though they end up costing more in the long run. That's even assuming the average consumer wants all that, which they may not.

Sony's biggest mistake, IMO, was advertising the PS3 as an all-in-one machine.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2008   #19
MOD
PSN ID: sauberbmw
there mistake well 1 of them was those creepy commercials that came out with the ps3 in the begining
Sauberbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2008   #20
PCN Senior
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Off topic on WKC - it got a 29/40 from Famitsu(which is essentially a 7/10), but sales are great, in it's first week it will have sold the best out of any next gen RPG to date.

On topic, while I think everyone can agree that the PS3 is the best value(easily), the 360, for what its worth, is still the cheapest. Microsoft is using the traditional 'foot in the door' sales method with the 360 - the consumer sees it for $200 VS $250 or $400 and picks it up. Then, since you already spent that much, the other 'little' things, the HDD, the WiFi, the headset, etc don't seem to be as much of a big deal, even though they end up costing more in the long run. That's even assuming the average consumer wants all that, which they may not.

Sony's biggest mistake, IMO, was advertising the PS3 as an all-in-one machine.
Excellently summed up Nick. Sony should find you a job