Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > PlayStation Chat > PlayStation 3 Discussion > Technical Support
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 30-06-2009   #1
PCN Addict
PSN ID: glen421
What can you do with the original PS3 HDD?

I upgraded my 80GB to a 320GB and I would like to stick the original HDD in my sony viao laptop. How can I make it work?
glen421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009   #2
PCN Master
PSN ID: Dipchit02
probably the easiest way to do it is to just buy an external housing and just use the HDD as an external portable drive
Dipchit02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009   #3
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
Depends on a few things, first of all is the PS3's hard drive bigger than your current hard drive in your laptop, as you have to replace the one in your laptop currently as most laptops don't support more than 1 internal hard drive, there simply isn't the space for more. Two, does your laptop use SATA or an IDE interface, if your original hard drive is below 80GB I would safely assume it's an IDE type interface as SATA hard drives don't really exist in small sizes. If it's IDE interface you have to use the old PS3 hard drive externally as SATA isn't backwards compatible with IDE, if it is a SATA then it will be as simple as removing the hard drive cover on your laptop, sliding the old one out and sliding the new one in. You will also need to obviously reinstall your operating system and transfer any files to the new hard drive.

If you have to use it externally here's a link to what you would need to do so. Obviously you don't have to buy it from Best Buy, any computer shop should have something available.

Last edited by X_Racer1; 30-06-2009 at 01:46 PM..
X_Racer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009   #4
PCN Addict
PSN ID: AdventOfAnarchy
yup, i'd say that's the best bet. its a pain in the butt to install a new HDD on a computer. manly because you'll probably want the stuff on your current HDD so you'll need to back all that up to something then you'll have to buy whatever OS you want which can get pricey.

"I am wearing my safety goggles, that is how serious I am about this game."
lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009   #5
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
You don't have to re-buy your OS, you just need the recovery discs if you bought the system from a company like HP, Dell, Sony, etc, if you're laptop didn't come with them your laptop should have a utility on it somewhere to create them as you would lose the ability to use the recovery partition on the hard drive when you swap it out if possible. Or if that's not available, get a copy of your OS on CD/DVD from someone and just use it to reinstall the OS, since you would have the key to activate the system on the bottom of your laptop.