Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > PlayStation Chat > PlayStation 3 Discussion
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 11-06-2009   #1
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
Need for Speed, Anyone Actually Interested

According to a recent PS3Center article http://www.ps3center.net/news/3189/b...eed-for-speed/ the Burnout team is working on a fourth new game for Need for Speed on top of the new one for Wii, the free online game coming out, and the new title for XBOX 360 and PlayStation 3. My question is though, after some of the more recent games that have come out, is anyone going to buy any of the new games in development outright, wait for reviews or simply not bother.
X_Racer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009   #2
PCN Senior
nope
That series burnt itself out long ago in my opinion
EIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009   #3
PCN Master
PSN ID: Dipchit02
after i got underground i decieded that i dont want to get another NFS game
Dipchit02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009   #4
PCN Member
PSN ID: snakes_pit
I'm interested to see how it turns out because the last few really sucked.
Snakepit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009   #5
PCN Master
i mean it looks good but so did underground and i HATED that game
Old 11-06-2009   #6
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
If it goes back to street racing im all in. That and no more of this crap " upgrade to level two" mods. I want to take my car apart like i used to be capable of doing in underground, then fine tune it just like a real car.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009   #7
PCN Master
i like Hot pursuit the best out of all them
Old 12-06-2009   #8
PCN Member
Need for Speed High Stakes was my favourite. The only thing I liked about Underground was the tuning, but I HATED how the cars handled and the whole "scene" outlook. Makes us real tuners look like complete idiots.
Old 12-06-2009   #9
PCN Master
i never even heard of High Stakes at all
Old 12-06-2009   #10
PCN Member
It's the fourth one, after Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit
Old 12-06-2009   #11
PCN Master
o ok then i will prob have to check that one out at some point
Old 12-06-2009   #12
PCN Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipchit02 View Post
o ok then i will prob have to check that one out at some point
It's similar to Hot Pursuit but a few things are better
Old 12-06-2009   #13
PCN Master
PSN ID: SaintAvi
"Need for Speed" is just a label, the guys at Criterion have a good head on their collective shoulders and shouldnt dissapoint.

They are going to have to pull off something amazing though, split/second has my attention
SaintAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2009   #14
PCN Master
The main problem is no matter how good any future Need for Speed game might be at this point there is one racer we all know will kick it to the curb, good old Gran Turismo 5 and even if we don't have a definitive release date, it has been well predicted to be coming for the end of this year which would make sense as it would do well in Christmas sales and probably all but destroy the competition's chances of success. Do I believe Criterion might be able to do something perhaps, but then again Burnout Paradise was nothing to scream about, I still prefer Burnout 3 over it any day simply because it doesn't have so many annoyances like that stupid DJ, the ridiculous amounts of advertising and that welcome screen you get before you allowed to get into the game and opening the news page. If I buy a game I want to play it with minimal interference, but I digress. But I with Snakepit, Need for Speed: High Stakes was definitely a brilliant game even by today's standards and it definitely in my top 3 favorite's of the series, along with Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 and Need for Speed: Most Wanted.
Old 13-06-2009   #15
PCN Master
Gran Turismo and Need for speed are aiming for 2 different styles of play, NFS is more
about arcadey racing vs GT being more about the nuances of the vehicles and tracks,
the comparisons really end beyond both having cars.

I never minded in game advertising actually, if its just racing past a billboard that has a
radioshack ad or something, I felt it lent credibility to the realism of the game being the
place it was based on
Old 14-06-2009   #16
PCN Master
I know that's what Need for Speed usually aims for but the new one Shift is specifically supposed to be a racing simulator and not like the previous games where it was arcade style so that puts it in direct competition with Gran Turismo 5 plus if you're only going to buy one racer, which one would most put their money on. Further more since we don't know what the theme of the one Criterion is working on or what systems it will release on Shift is the only game for PS3 coming out that we know of.

The problem with advertising for me is Burnout isn't meant to be realistic, if it was those crashes would end cars for good and you would not survive so what's the point of advertising, if I want to look at ads, I'll go on the Internet or outside, it's not hard to find plus personally it especially annoys me because EA and Criterion make good money off advertising and yet still have the nerve to charge money for features that should have been included like the party pack or my favorite charge $5 so you don't have to play the game, you just pay $5 and you have all the cars, what's the point of the game then.
Old 14-06-2009   #17
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
People are lazy and will find ways to cheat anyways, so might as well say upfront "if you want to be lazy pay us 5 bucks" its a good idea on EA's behalf. Advertising though, i see nothing wrong with how they do it. I mean its not like your getting comercial breaks or anything, its just ads plastered around the game. Plus its way cooler passing a actual burger king rather than Burger queen....For example with ads you can have real car parts, real car logos on your cars, and what not. Its like having real ads plastered around a hockey rink while playing a game.

If it was comercial breaks i would never touch the game, but your just playing the normal game and occasionaly see a ad for something. Who really cares? Its not affecting gameplay at all.

Also Shift could be some good competition. It give PS3 gamers a chance to have two differnt simulators. Since NFS usually knows how to do certain things right, it will probably be good. With that in mind it will push GT to do even better. I doubt GT will be out this year, we haven't even seen gameplay from it or anything. Just rendered cut scenes.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2009   #18
PCN Master
Ditto on the burger king angle, while the game mechanics may not be realistic, I dont mind
seeing recognizable places while blazing down a track.

As for NFS shift, GT has a extensive pedigree, personally I am not a fan of realistic
racing but if I were to pick up GT5, I would have no room on my shelf for another game
that is trying to deliver more of the same.
Old 14-06-2009   #19
PCN Master
That's the main problem no matter how much you're into realistic racing that fact is Gran Turismo has the amount of cars and the real tracks from around the world, there only really missing Porsche and Lamborghini cars at this point although RUF sort of counts for Porsche which is something that NFS Shift will never have, they just don't have the development time or the dedication to do so, I mean at this point Gran Turismo 5 probably been in development for 5 years or so.

The advertising thing I know for most people isn't a huge deal, and that's why EA can use it, to me it is and it's why I'm not a huge fan of a lot of their games, I paid the money to buy it, I shouldn't see it is my view, something like Home is understandable since they provide the service for free so they have to make money from somewhere but EA isn't giving things away for free and that's my problem with them. I rather like the Grand Theft Auto IV angle of poking fun at companies, TV, and how the Internet works but that's rare nowadays since you give up that prime opportunity to make more money.

Last edited by X_Racer1; 14-06-2009 at 03:16 PM..
Old 14-06-2009   #20
PCN Senior
We got alot racing fans here it seems

w00t
EIN is offline   Reply With Quote