Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > Multi-Platform / PC Chat > Multi-Platform / PC Chat > Nintendo Consoles
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 16-01-2009   #1
Staff
PSN ID: ExcelBeyond
So my Grandmother actually bought a Wii...

I always heard these arguments on console wars forums about how the Wii only sells to grandparents and little kids or whatever. While I didn't doubt that some old folk had gotten a hand on Nintendo's new console, I certainly thought these were isolated cases.

Lo and behold, my own Grandmother actually bought herself a Wii! She picked up The Price Is Right for it as well. Don't know if she's bought any other games, but I imagine she'll pick up the Wii Fit, as well as any fishing games on the system.

While I'm glad to see that she bought a Wii, I find it kind of disturbing because she used to tell me video games were evil back when she used to see me playing Shinobi on Sega Genesis. I also doubt we'll ever be able to talk about good games like Smash Brothers or No More Heroes. Oh well. +1 for Nintendo!
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009   #2
1337 Sauce
PSN ID: Coheebria
I think the general consensus among hardcore gamers in the industry is that casual gamers are the scourge of the industry, because they are not graduating to the better games like many had hoped, so instead of concentrating on producing awesome games that serious gamers enjoy, resources are used to flood the market with crap games for casual gamers

I don't know that this trend will last for Nintendo, because casual gamers are just that, casual, so they are bound to be fickle at some point, as opposed to all the loyal fanboys that MS and Sony have. However, I do give credit to Nintendo for having a good nose for the market.
Joshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009   #3
1337 Sauce
PSN ID: INF3RNO132103
Funny you say that, my grandmother actually just bought a Wii for my Uncle with Downsyndrome. He has fun with it just waving his arms around and seeing things happening on the screen. I'm pretty sure he hasn't made it past the first level in any of his games though. lol
inferno1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009   #4
PCN Addict
PSN ID: AdventOfAnarchy
my mom (43?) bought one for herself almost a year ago and my grandma (65?) wants one pretty bad. The Wii truly is a console for all ages.

"I am wearing my safety goggles, that is how serious I am about this game."
lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009   #5
PCN Master
PSN ID: SaintAvi
Well its doing a good job at bringing games to many people who previously wrote them off,
but if its bringing it to them in the form of mass produced faceless titles looking for a quick buck,
I dont think the consumer is better off

I once considered getting a Wii but at $250 it's not worth it when I can name all the games Id
want for it on one hand.
SaintAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009   #6
1337 Sauce
PSN ID: INF3RNO132103
Of course all the non gamers who are buying the Wii are the reason why there are so many quick cash in games for it. Because they don't read the reviews they go purely by the box, leading them to some very unfortunate purchases.
inferno1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009   #7
PCN Master
PSN ID: m0tl3ysl4y3r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
I think the general consensus among hardcore gamers in the industry is that casual gamers are the scourge of the industry, because they are not graduating to the better games like many had hoped, so instead of concentrating on producing awesome games that serious gamers enjoy, resources are used to flood the market with crap games for casual gamers

I don't know that this trend will last for Nintendo, because casual gamers are just that, casual, so they are bound to be fickle at some point, as opposed to all the loyal fanboys that MS and Sony have. However, I do give credit to Nintendo for having a good nose for the market.
I agree with you, most people I know who have a Wii just play it casually and don't play it all that much, compared to the amount of time people spend on the other 2 consoles.

Most people I know who play the Wii do play the crap games that not many hardcore gamers would even consider playing.

I agree that more resources are spent on producing crap games for casual gamers
m0tl3sl4y3r is offline   Reply With Quote