Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > PlayStation Chat > PlayStation 3 Discussion
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 19-06-2009   #21
PCN Master
PSN ID: Dipchit02
i think that Microsoft is WAY better at marketing their stuff than sony has been especially in the generation the PS2 and Xbox were pretty close but tehy are getting blown away this gen
Dipchit02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2009   #22
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
I finally did see an inFamous ad and they definitely did a great job on those, the one Killzone 2 ad I saw just showed a bullet flying past Helghan soldiers, that was creative. Has Sony done great on marketing no, has it hurt them, considering they are coming close to selling or selling more units than the 360 and they were a year late to the ball game, marketing hasn't hurt them greatly, they don't need it, the console sells itself since it doesn't constantly break done or is a stripped down version just to get it cheap.
Old 19-06-2009   #23
PCN Master
PSN ID: SaintAvi
They dont need it? How is someone who cant really be classified as an enthusiast supposed
to know about their products then? Marketing is an essential part of running not only a successful, but lucrative business.
SaintAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2009   #24
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
I'm saying that despite the bad marketing they are selling almost as well, if they had done better they probably would be ahead of the 360 by now, but still that's pretty impressive when you think about it. Would I love more great marketing, of course, it's gets more people on board and the more the merrier.
Old 20-06-2009   #25
PCN Master
Yea, if Sony got its act together with its PR teams who knows how much better they
could be doing, the potential yet to be tapped.
Old 20-06-2009   #26
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
Quote:
Im going to have to disagree with you on Sony being good at marketing their
games, I think they've done a very bad job actually up until inFamous. Killzone2
for example had virtually zero ads and commercials going up to release
I was referencing PS2 and how PS3 lacks that component. With PS2 selling so well, games sold well. With a PS2 commercial sony usually added in third party games like Activision and what not. Its similar to how you see EA sports ads revolving around the PS3 comercial, except PS2 was HUGE.

Sony doesnt NEED to market the PS3, they just need to support their games. They advertised InFamous and look how well thats selling. A Realitevely unkown game is getting Killzone like sales, thats what ALL their games should be doing because all their games are AAA games. For the holidays we need to see "only on playstation" comercials galore.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2009   #27
SignOfZodiac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
As much as guys like us are into games like Uncharted, Last Guardian, etc., they just aren't big sellers like Activision's stuff. It's an absolute necessity for the PS3 to retain the big name franchises, like Guitar Hero and Call of Duty. The general public eats these games up, both franchises are multi-million sellers with each entry into the franchise. Regardless of whether they are technically better games, Sony's first party games(Gran Turismo aside) just don't put up the numbers of COD or GH.

Regardless, Activision won't drop support for the PS3, it just doesn't make financial success. They still make a boatload off of Sony, what they are proposing is like giving up sex entirely because you don't think you're getting as much sex as you should be.
SCEE don't need people who disrespects them when they help get them here. SCEE can make there own Music game and Skateboard title.. Shooters are to easy that a piece of cake..

For one Activision is not using the system power. They want money for port games, go to the Microsoft customers..
Old 20-06-2009   #28
SignOfZodiac
Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Racer1 View Post
I finally did see an inFamous ad and they definitely did a great job on those, the one Killzone 2 ad I saw just showed a bullet flying past Helghan soldiers, that was creative. Has Sony done great on marketing no, has it hurt them, considering they are coming close to selling or selling more units than the 360 and they were a year late to the ball game, marketing hasn't hurt them greatly, they don't need it, the console sells itself since it doesn't constantly break done or is a stripped down version just to get it cheap.
You do the marketing.. Why send money to show things you already know about. Today, the Internet shows more ads before the company. Sites and forums like this one starts the talk up/ then all the YouTube videos start flying..

There's no need for ads. SCEE use that money for the development of "AWESOME" games..
Old 20-06-2009   #29
"The New Guy"
PSN ID: blackwasp
I just got my PS3 and I'm a big Call of Duty fan, but I really bought the PS3 in hopes of seeing Blu-Ray gaming, that will make it all worth it for me.
blackwasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2009   #30
PCN Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignOfZodiac View Post
You do the marketing.. Why send money to show things you already know about. Today, the Internet shows more ads before the company. Sites and forums like this one starts the talk up/ then all the YouTube videos start flying..

There's no need for ads. SCEE use that money for the development of "AWESOME" games..
Assuming that the audience all follow the game through development up till
release is risky and from my point of view would hurt your final numbers.

My 13 year old cousin who doesnt really do anything online except instant
message would not have any inkling about what inFamous is unless he
didnt have his interest first sparked by seeing the commercial.
Old 22-06-2009   #31
PCN Addict
PSN ID: glen421
Bobby Kotick is a jerk. He doesn't even play video games. He thinks he is god's gift to gaming. I needed to get that off my chest.

As far as Sony not advertising. It's their call. I think they could always do more and out of the Big 3 they are last in that department. Just by Sony showing off at E3 created buzz. If they just could maintain it through TV and Internet I think would be very beneficial to them.

Let's say they re-started a full blown (posters, tv adds on a lot more channels, and internet ads.) Killzone2 add campaign I'd betcha they would sell units.
glen421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009   #32
PCN Master
I understand they are in a rough spot financially but you've got to spend money to make it,
I'd like to see some of the old crash bandicoot style ads they used to do where they
got up in the competitions face

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTi5EaocGaY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF2ueOSmiio
Old 22-06-2009   #33
PCN Master
yea i dont really like to see companies take direct shots a the other companies (like in the first one) i think there are better ways to do it than that but i liked the second ad it was good.

i also some of the old SOCOM commericals and now they dont even have any

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM4e5...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV6ue...eature=related
Old 22-06-2009   #34
PCN Master
The ratchet and clank ad's were always pretty funny to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxhUOU9zY2E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYPSh2JtbtY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-HSzQ-_ggA
Old 23-06-2009   #35
PCN Master
yeah i liked those. i like how they are just like as if it was a group of guys casually on the weekend shooting them instead alot of money put into it
Old 23-06-2009   #36
SignOfZodiac
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintAvi View Post
Assuming that the audience all follow the game through development up till
release is risky and from my point of view would hurt your final numbers.

My 13 year old cousin who doesnt really do anything online except instant
message would not have any inkling about what inFamous is unless he
didnt have his interest first sparked by seeing the commercial.
Not True! If your cousin owns a Playstation 3 then he/she already knew about inFAMOUS for it's in the PSN Store and emails.

Anyway I knew about "Nike" before I seen a commercial.. The world is a big ad poster, come on!

Kids know about things before there 4 years old. You know what I am talking "about".. I Dont Need To Say It!

Last edited by SignOfZodiac; 23-06-2009 at 01:32 AM..
Old 23-06-2009   #37
SignOfZodiac
Quote:
Originally Posted by glen421 View Post
Bobby Kotick is a jerk. He doesn't even play video games. He thinks he is god's gift to gaming. I needed to get that off my chest.

As far as Sony not advertising. It's their call. I think they could always do more and out of the Big 3 they are last in that department. Just by Sony showing off at E3 created buzz. If they just could maintain it through TV and Internet I think would be very beneficial to them.

Let's say they re-started a full blown (posters, tv adds on a lot more channels, and internet ads.) Killzone2 add campaign I'd betcha they would sell units.
Not needed..

For most people don't watch TV nor use the computer and still knows about things. Illegal DRUGS are not ads but people know about that and it sells.. Don't get me wrong ads is ok, but not a big deal at all. Just because you know about something doesn't mean it will sell or you will buy it. If that was the case all of us would be "CRACK HEADS" by now! :) lol

Last edited by SignOfZodiac; 23-06-2009 at 01:22 AM..
Old 23-06-2009   #38
PCN Master
Well yea drugs are known because they have a history,are prevalent in many cultures
and present in the lives of people especially in the 1960's where it was popularized.

I understand what you are trying to get at but in this case I believe you are comparing apples and oranges, the lingering presence of an era/epidemic can hardly be compared to bringing a new video game IP to the world.
Old 23-06-2009   #39
PCN Master
i have to say i am with saint on this one most people who are not that hardcore into games have no idea about stuff like this unless A. someone tells them B. they seeit on IGN but again that is more hardcore crowd that is at IGN C. see it on tv. my roommate goes to IGN quit abit and someone i would consider up-to-date on videogames and he didnt know about inFAMOUS so i mean how is just a more casual person supposed to know about it and that was Sonys best advertising job for a game this gen in my opinion
Old 23-06-2009   #40
SignOfZodiac
I understand you both. Look at it this way. If I am not hardcore, I wouldn't know about IGN or any gaming sites also. My point is the talk of something is all the ads you need. People tend to look into talk quicker. Another point, there are small towns in the world that still don't know about NES or ATARI, why! Because of the lack of talk. Small areas don't show ads to things that don't concern that group nor things theyl have no need for.

Maybe ads would do better for these small locations.

Last edited by SignOfZodiac; 23-06-2009 at 02:30 AM..