Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > PlayStation Chat > PlayStation 3 Discussion
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 03-07-2009   #1
PCN Master
PSN ID: SaintAvi
In Game Advertising

In game advertising has been a topic that has been raiseda few times on this board, the latest being EA stealth delivering advertisements into their latest installment of fight night. The popular feeling is not in favor of it and actually a bit incendiary when it comes to it, feeling as if the publishers are being invasive and altering their play experiences.

Personally I have not run across any advertising in any of the titles I purchased that registers any negative feelings. Solid Snake drinking a certain brand of beverage if anything makes me laugh as it kinda winks at the 4th wall. I remember the first time I played Crazy Taxi at a cousins home and dropped off my fare at a KFC, I thought it was pretty cool that it was a KFC and not something like a CFK.

There are several arguments for in game advertising that I take into consideration which lead me to not be to opposed to it. With the budget required to create a decent game ballooning with every generation into multi-million dollar projects, I sympathize with the developers who are not always guaranteed a worthwhile return on their work and understand them dampening any potential spills

There are lines though where personally it can get to far, so far it hasnt been crossed in anything I've played, but if what I've read is true about Fight Night I think EA may have crossed it, as long as the advertisements are something that are just kinda in the background I don't mind but when it invades my load screens and I'm forced to look at it for a length of time I'd much sooner just say no thanks.

I know there are some on this board who are opposed to the advertising in any form and some who don't seem to mind, whatcha guys think?
SaintAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009   #2
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
I have to problems with it if it doesnt affect the overall experience of the game. Billboards or boards along a hockey rink have advertisments in them in real life. Why cant a developer make some money doing it in a game too? It makes it more realistic. If anything its cool and adds to the overall experience.

It can go too far though. COD6 advertising pepsi during a load screen would be too far. Seeing a giant Pepsi billboard in the middle of war would be too far. Having airsoft logos or logos on soldiers would be too far. Taking comercial breaks would make me completely stop playing games all together.

EA went too far with fight night round 4. During the load screens, thats cool, im fine with that. Having a giant advertisment plastered on the middle of the rink?! WTF is that crap? Not only is it distracting its annoying. I cant believe they did it. Just when the heat of people flaming them for starting it to begin with cools down they try and pull something like that out of the blue?

No Snake drinkin a cola or using apple laptops, thats fine. I may not support the brand its advertising but im completely fine with it. Having something that 1 has no connection with the game and 2 distracts from the core gameplay is another story.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009   #3
PCN Master
In all likelihood if the ring was not licensed out to an outside brand, It'd just as soon have a giant EA logo in the middle instead. It adds an element of realism in my book

Old 03-07-2009   #4
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
It was a low down tactic of EA, especially since they know a few of their games have generated controversy because of such tactics so this time they just waited till after the reviews were out and suckers bought it, they severely crossed the line and violated the trust between customer and publisher, are more games pushing the limits of what's acceptable, yes because no matter how much gaming budgets have gone up, game companies still have had no problems turning a profit when they can charge $60-70 for a game and sell hundreds of thousands of copies. In games like hockey, advertising is fine, it happens in real life and adds realism, in semi-realistic to realistic racing games it's acceptable as again it happens in real life, but even those have limits, if I'm constantly going to see ads and obnoxious ones placed prominently everywhere then forget it, game companies need to learn something, you can make money off advertising, but if you alienate your audience how are you going to sell the games, let alone the ads.
Old 03-07-2009   #5
PCN Master
I wouldn't say companies have an easy time turning a profit given the higher price point on games, if they are part of a giant like EA they might but there has recently been a string
of high profile closures starting with the guys down at factor 5 over just 1
blown game and most recently the guys down at blue omega who werent
able to recover after Damnation flopped
Old 03-07-2009   #6
PCN Master
Well that was there own fault, Damnation wasn't a good game or developed well and there is plenty of ways to survive in the game industry, like making games for the iPhone and similar platforms or making PSN/XBOX Live games, those kinds of games have smaller budgets and lower expectations, does it mean we are going to lose out to mostly large developers, no, but developers have to make an effort now and can't afford to release games broken, gamers won't take that anymore. Besides it's only the large developers who are using ads anyway and they have the money to live without ads which is my problem.
Old 03-07-2009   #7
PCN Master
Yea no doubt damnation was horrible, just illustrating the make or break nature of the
industry for some developers.

As far as ads go, if the money is going into the pot to help greenlight some of the new risks
EA has been taking with games like Dead Space and Dante's Inferno without being invasive
I can live with it as it is indirectly bringing us more new content
Old 04-07-2009   #8
PCN Master
PSN ID: Dipchit02
i really dont have problems with it i mean if they incorporated it correctly in COD6 i would be fine with it like i mean you are walking to spot and there is a billboard with pepsi that is cool but like if itis a war torn country and the billboard is fallen down and stuff i dont see problems.

I think that NCAA Football for EA is the worst in the i mean everything has a "sponsor" in that game the coke halftime the pontiac drive summary there is just "sponsors" on everything in that game but it works cuz that is how real football is but it does get kind of annoy sometimes
Dipchit02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009   #9
SuperStaff
The thing is Pepsi wouldnt be something advertised in big lights where they are setting the plot of COD6. Yes its advertised in those areas, but not where the war is going on. Maybe if its in the US and your standing outside of New York, then fine ill accept the Pepsi billboard.

Just imagine EA randomly tossing in Pepsi adverts in Dante's Inferno after it comes out, thats beyond too far. In fact Dante's Inferno is a game that should have NO advertisments period.

Something like fallout 3 on the other hand, id be able to live with it. It moca colas could be pepsi, maybe have trash flying around that has pepsi on it or buried signs whatever. Go as far as other things too as long as it works with the game. Thats the common problem, gamers are afraid it WONT work with the game and the minute it doesnt, things will fall apart.

As for the advertisment in the ring, i didnt know that. I usually see UFC in UFC matches, and then i usually watch boxing on HBO so it either says the events name in the ring or the league or just nothing. The screenshots ive seen though seem to pop too much though, i mean fade it in the ring a little bit or something at least.
Old 04-07-2009   #10
PCN Master
The business giants have far reaching fingers, you may not expect it but billboards for
popular american drinks are just as popular over in other countries

Old 04-07-2009   #11
SuperStaff
I thought that said "Pepsi Beer" and was going crazy for one haha. Sadly it doesnt say that.
Old 05-07-2009   #12
PCN Master
Not surprising since most large North American run corporations have influence all over the world, like KFC being in China, Japan, India, etc or Coke being advertised all over the world.

That one is from India.
Old 05-07-2009   #13
PCN Master
PSN ID: m0tl3ysl4y3r
honestly, for me it depends on a few things
1: will it affect the overall gameplay
2: what is being advertised in the game

if the advertising fits in the game, then it probably would not bother me that much, but if the advertisement did not fit into the game then it would probably annoy me a bit
m0tl3sl4y3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009   #14
PCN Addict
PSN ID: treDIDDY97
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0tl3sl4y3r View Post
honestly, for me it depends on a few things
1: will it affect the overall gameplay
2: what is being advertised in the game

if the advertising fits in the game, then it probably would not bother me that much, but if the advertisement did not fit into the game then it would probably annoy me a bit
same here

PS3: It only does everything
trediddy is offline   Reply With Quote