Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > PlayStation Chat > PlayStation 3 Discussion
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 28-06-2009   #1
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
New IP's vs. Sequels

Here's one, according to this recent G4 article http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/69....html#readmore apparently some video game analysts think Sony should have focused on sequels not new IP's so the PS3 would have sold better but if you read into the comments it seems the majority of comments think the opposite, so what's your take, would you have preferred Sony making more sequels for the PS3 or going their current route with games like inFamous, LittleBigPlanet, etc and why do you think the PS3 didn't do so well.
Old 28-06-2009   #2
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
In my Gran Turismo feature that just got posted, i mentioned something similar. On a business stand point sequals is where the money is. People know the name, they know the product, they trust the product, they want the product. A new IP is differnt, your not sure if it will be good so you wait for a friend to try it. If it is good, does it fit your taste of games? Is it better than Resistance, if not i dont want it. etc...

Look at forums and what not when a sequal gets announced compared to "MAG 256 PLAYERS!" or "UNCHARTED LOOKS AMAZING." Instead you get "OMG RESISTANCE 3!!!" with like 300 comments on it, and there has yet to be a trailer or anything. Sequals dont need advertising, they dont need anything, they sell themselves and they sell the consoles. Let those sales start you off and in the mix throw in new IP's that people will check out.

Just imagine when GT5 hits, or Twisted Metal, or something with a name like that. Sony will be rolling.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2009   #3
PCN Master
PSN ID: Dipchit02
i agree with you on that one Dustin the sequels are what help sell the system the best because that is what the people who are buy them know and trust and love. but then as a consumer that has the system i enjoy the new games cuz then i am not just playing resistance 10 but a different type of game or just a new twist but either way it is nice to get the new IPs out there

and i dont think there is anything wrong with how the PS3 it is just getting alot of bad press but it is selling quicker than the 360 and not that far behind the PS2

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?con...ks=168&gr_i_ni
Dipchit02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2009   #4
SuperStaff
I actually think its WAY behind the PS2, even the Wii is behind the PS2 still lol. However it is selling faster, when people compare overall sales they always forget to mention the extra year the 360 had to inflate its sales. Maybe Sony will be first next time around?

As for the games, you are a complete example of what i said. Sequals will bring in the customers, however once you own that console you will want new things. So you buy PS4 for Reistance 4, but at the same time MAG looks cool and its differnt so you pick that up too. While on the other end you dont get R4 and only see MAG, now your kind of questioning what to do.

Im guilty of it too. I love PlayStation alot, but ill give other consoles a chance. However the second they announced MGS4 for PS3 i went out and pre ordered my PS3 and got it at launch. Along the way i became a HUGE Resistance fan. Perfect example as well.
Old 29-06-2009   #5
PCN Master
yeah i guess the PS3 is farther behind then i thought it was but still it is selling faster than the 360 which is why i dont get all the bad press of not selling enough.

i was always going to get a PS3 i didnt really care what games were out for it at that point and there wasnt really much but still i have had every playstation made and that tradition will continue for as long as Sony is making new Playstations. I really like the new IPs though i mean it is nicer than just playing the 8th halo game released on the 360.

There are more games on the PS3 that i would play than on the 360 i mean the games that are exclusive on there just dont really appeal to me that much
Old 29-06-2009   #6
PCN Master
PSN ID: SaintAvi
As an industry we would not have gotten very far without innovation in new IP's. I enjoy
a good sequel as much as the other guy though but I could do without all the world war 2
shooters and guitar hero's.

The key is striking a balance, I think Sony have been exemplary in doing so thus far.
SaintAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009   #7
PCN Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintAvi View Post
As an industry we would not have gotten very far without innovation in new IP's. I enjoy
a good sequel as much as the other guy though but I could do without all the world war 2
shooters and guitar hero's.

The key is striking a balance, I think Sony have been exemplary in doing so thus far.
Yes i gotta agree. but come on what is wrong with Guitar Hero? i mean i woudl rather buy a new game than pay 2 buck for each song.
Old 29-06-2009   #8
SuperStaff
Guitar Hero has tons of problems, Rock Band on the other hand. There have been 2 Rock Bands, ACDC pack was an expansion for only 20 bucks or something like that and most of the songs will be on the online store. GH on the other hand needs to release a new 60 dollar game with any idea of a song they have, which is dumb, plus their gameplay sucks.

However i do believe Sony is somewhat lacking a balance on their own storefront. I mean if you include third parties then yeah its somewhat balances with games like MGS4. Sony first parties on the other hand are all realitively new. Uncharted and Resistance for example are still new names, but have already gained their own fanbases similar to those of PS2 games.
Old 29-06-2009   #9
PCN Master
PSN ID: SaintAvi
We've had 4 guitar hero games in just the first half of the year, only the Metallica
version looked justifiable as a standalone
SaintAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009   #10
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
And how many of those can you now get on the cheap, I bought Guitar Hero Aerosmith for $4 used at GameStop, that's how well they were selling and I'll tell you, the online flat out sucks, all it does is freeze your console. Now they have Guitar Hero 5 coming out this September, Guitar Hero: Van Halen in November/December and Guitar Hero: Smash Hits which came out a few weeks ago and according to this ShackNews article they plan to triple the amount of titles with Guitar Hero on them in 2010. This is thankfully something Sony has never got to and yet people still want to criticize them for it, variety is a good thing after all and is like the analyst who claimed they should drop Blu-Ray from the PS3 to bring down the cost thereby making any PlayStation 3 game out to date useless. These people can be real idiots and really shouldn't be talking.

Last edited by X_Racer1; 29-06-2009 at 05:02 PM..
X_Racer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009   #11
SuperStaff
Well if Sony drops the price more people have an extra 100 bucks to waste on plastic drums...

Honestly i wish people would just buy Rock Band as Harmonix left Activision for the very reason of milking the game, not just because they wouldnt do a full band. That and ACDC and the upcoming Black Sabbith are literlly expansions that are maybe 30 bucks at the most. GH is why the type of gameplay became a gimmick now...
Old 29-06-2009   #12
PCN Master
well i mean i just dont like paying 2 dollars for one song i mean a game comes with like 60-80 so that is under 1 dollar per song so i dont see any problem with putting out a new game now if they were to just realease like a Van Halen track pack with like 20 songs or w/e for 20 bucks then yeah i woudl much rather have that
Old 29-06-2009   #13
SuperStaff
Rock Band has track packs online. Buy 5 songs for like 3 bucks and most of the time its more than that. You could get whole CD's for like 10 or 12 bucks that have 15 songs on them or more. Then when they relase and expansion its the same thing as GH except you can save all the songs to your hard drive and play it with Rock Band 1 and 2.

Let alone i rather have online support like Rock Band then a new game every month like GH. 1 I can choose which songs i want instead of 5 or 6 coupled with 30 crappy ones ill never play. 2 or 3 bucks beats the hell out of paying 60. 2 It gives Harmonix and EA a chance to actually make a new full release better. RB 1 to RB 2 actually had improvements, better drums, better guitars, better smoother gameplay, and a huge line up of songs. Let alone they already said they rather not jump the gun on "making your own music" yet Activision had no problem doing it. 5 bucks GH5 has no improvement to it what so ever when it comes out.

Activision is the new EA thats why they are leading in sales now. EA stepped back and said they want to work on quality and look who leaps over them and takes the same route to the top. Activision is no differnt than the old EA now, and honestly people will lose respect for them too sooner or later (if not already).
Old 30-06-2009   #14
PCN Master
but what i am saying is that if i like a band like Metallica or Van Halen or Aerosmith then i will pick those up because you get more songs on there than you would off the PSN store because they are so overly priced i think it would just be easier for them to release the tracks online a sell them cheaper but w/e
Old 30-06-2009   #15
SuperStaff
No i agree with you there. However its kind of off and on, GH and Rockband battles are just like PS3 and Xbox. Some grab exclusives while the other grabs another exclusive. ACDC vs Metallica, The Beatles and Black Sabbath vs Aerosmith etc...However RB ( idk if you own it or not) offers band related content packs through online as well. The thing i dont like about GH is the fact that they dont want to support anything because they want you to spend the money.

When Harmonix said "GH works with RB games" Activision blew up and went crazy over it. Then in games like GH metallica they said "certain features are unavailible unless you buy the GH Band kit" so you couldnt use the old GH guitars or Rock Band instruments. RB never did that, every instrument was always fully capatible. I have no doubt that if it was possible for GH songs to be used with RB Harmonix would be completely fine with it.

Im kind of scared that EA is losing it though as they announced the beatles edition. Im just hoping with my fingers crossed that they dont make the same BS mistake as activision and start milking RB.
Old 30-06-2009   #16
PCN Master
yea i agree i mean it is getting ridiculous with all this crap coming out but still i mean it in the long run saves us money (which is weird) but i woudl rather pay 20 buck and just pick any 20 songs or w/e i mean that would be way better i just dont like the 2 dollar price tag.

RB has Black Sabbath? i was not aware of that but whoever get GnR is probably going to the one that i buy next cuz i LOVE GnR (Guns n Roses) or Def Leppard (prob my fav band)
Old 30-06-2009   #17
SuperStaff
I cant stand GnR lol, especially axel. They announced Black Sabbath expansion similar to ACDC but dont know when its coming out. I just want a Godsmack expansion and ill be happy.
Old 30-06-2009   #18
Staff
PSN ID: ExcelBeyond
Well, the thing with Sony is that they really just don't have any strong IPs to begin with outside of Gran Turismo. The PS2, and even the PS1 before it, were built on 3rd party titles primarily. You think of PS2, you think of Grand Theft Auto, Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, Gran Turismo. Only one of those is first party. God of War comes in distantly, but the franchise as a whole hasn't even sold as much as Halo 3, and games like Ratchet, Sly, Jak, while they're great games, they just aren't system sellers.

Sony was forced to resort to new IPs not because they were trying to be innovative, but simply because they just didn't have any marketable franchises that would bring in the big numbers.

I have been reading about this a lot lately and might just end up writing a bit of a response to it for later this week.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009   #19
PCN Addict
PSN ID: glen421
I think we can all come up with factors as to why Sony is 3rd in console sales. The one that sticks out in my mind is Sony has lost it's swagger.

If you can remember when the PS1 first came out and they had Crash Bandicoot in the parking lot at Nintendo Headquarters calling out "Come here little plumber boy!" with a megaphone that is what put PS1 in front. Talking trash to the competition. Look at Apple they are gaining serious ground going right at Windows with their commercials.

I think if Sony started going after XBOX with a little fire you would see the tide turn in their favor. IMO

Last edited by glen421; 30-06-2009 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: Imagine a Helghan Elite taunting Master Chief. That's good TV right there.
glen421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009   #20
PCN Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin S. View Post
I cant stand GnR lol, especially axel. They announced Black Sabbath expansion similar to ACDC but dont know when its coming out. I just want a Godsmack expansion and ill be happy.
I prefer the old GnR before they broke up now they are all in Velvet Revolver except for Axel. and Velvet Revolver is pretty good.

to me it just seems like Sony isnt really into milking out their franchises i mean R&C is the longest running franchise (i think but dont hold me to that) but it really just seems like they make a few games in the franchise then move on and they dont milk the Crash's and stuff for all they can get and that is why you dont see all the huge franchises on Playstation.