Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > PlayStation Chat > PlayStation Network
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 20-11-2009   #1
PCN Senior
PSN ID: xEN7xASSASSINx
PSN has more users than LIVE?

just discovered this article, which announces that the playstation network has 31 million accounts, and if you do a google search for "how many users does xbox live have 2009" i only find results stating 20 million!! so PSN has 11million more? yes if you consider alot of people including myself have multiple accounts it maybe goes down to roughly 25million unique users at a push, but LIVE users also have multiple accounts so their 20 million also drops.

so yeah i thought i would share this with you guys! personally i think its a massive achievement! :D

article - http://playstationlifestyle.net/2009...-base-figures/
Old 20-11-2009   #2
PCN Addict
PSN ID: treDIDDY97
oh WOW this should shut those fanboys up sayin that live is better

PS3: It only does everything
trediddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009   #3
PCN Senior
PSN ID: jordan123x
Well I'd assume it's because people with no intention of playing online still make PSN accounts where as non-online 360 users don't pay for something they wont use.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009   #4
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
With the amount of times things have been given away for free or released early in some territories I wouldn't be at all surprised if most if not all of those extra accounts PSN has over Live are because of multiple account creation, I mean I have my main Canadian account (for PSN card use and any actual gaming), a US account, an EU account and two more Canadian accounts as alternate profiles for myself/other people, so 5 accounts for one person and I know I'm not the only one because some people I'm sure would have accounts in Japan or somewhere in Asia, plus take into account people who don't game that still get an account because, hey it's free, why the heck not and we may have more accounts but the amount of active users is still far lower than XBOX Live, we proved that earlier this year when the Battlefield game contest was running so I wouldn't call it a massive achievement, let alone an achievement, it's simply too easy to create multiple accounts or make one and forget about it.
Old 21-11-2009   #5
PCN Master
PSN ID: m0tl3ysl4y3r
yeah its probably what X_racer said, people will have more than 1 account just because they can and not necessarily because there's more users than live, its really obvious why people will only have 1 live account because the more accounts they have, the more they need to pay but with PSN, why wouldn't u have multiple accounts after all it is free
I'm probably one of the few people with a PS3 who only has 1 account
plus again, as X_Racer says, there is more active users probably due to the fact that theres more 360s out there and people with multiple PSN accounts not using a lot of their accounts to do stuff regularly
Old 21-11-2009   #6
PCN Senior
yeah i hear ya! i also have multiple accounts as i said but i doubt theres more than say 5/6 million 'other' accounts? but LIVE users ALSO have extra/multiple accounts(they also include silvers) they dont use, my step-bro has 3 and his brother has like 5 lol so even if you take away these multiple ps3 accounts(and then the live ones) theres still more than LIVE? i still think its a big achievement for sony either way!

and m0tl3sl4yer nah because with each NEW live account you can get a months free gold service, ALOT of people use the month for free(again my step brother for instance lol) by making new accounts and then leave that account when its ran out and create a new one.

plus the 650 million downloads of content is pretty damn good, LIVE is at the 'billion' mark but its still a high amount :D

Last edited by xEN7xASSASSINx; 21-11-2009 at 08:00 AM..
xEN7xASSASSINx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009   #7
1337 Sauce
PSN ID: bharat4ever
PSN numbers do not relate directly to number of PS3s because PSN takes into consideration the number of accounts created for PSPs also.
bharat4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009   #8
PCN Master
PSN ID: m0tl3ysl4y3r
that's also another reason why there's more users, not because there's more PS3s but because PSPs are also included in that.
people who have an account on a PSP might not even have a PS3 but they're still included in the number of accounts due to their PSP account
we all know that there's a lot more 360s out there than PS3s, which hopefully won't be the case forever
Old 24-11-2009   #9
PCN Senior
but wait you dont NEED an online account to use ps3/psp offline? but i never actually considered psps, so my bad on that but psps + ps3s or not this isnt consoles its online accounts for PSN & LIVE, but it is what it is at the end of the day even if its looked at as psps and ps3s and multiple accounts it still adds upto more than live lol and it makes me happy lol
Old 27-11-2009   #10
1337 Sauce
PSN ID: bharat4ever
even though you have so many more accounts than live, since it is multiple accounts, or PSP accounts, we still are not going to have so many people online at once compared to the live.
bharat4ever is offline   Reply With Quote