Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > PlayStation Chat > PlayStation 3 Discussion > Technical Support
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 09-07-2010   #1
"The New Guy"
Playstation 3 freezes within minutes of startup

hey guys. i am new here and am going to be a future owner of a ps3. my co worker is passing on to me his first generation fat ps3 which is not working properly. starting it up is no problem, and leaving it on is no problem. however, starting a game or a movie it will freeze within minutes. just a still picture, no light errors or anything. i researched all over the net to try to find a solution, most people say send it back to sony. but this machine is pretty old and is the 1st gen so i would think warranty would be over for it. what do you guys think? if its a hardware failure for the blu ray drive, do you think its worth paying out of the pocket cash to get it fixed? or should i just go for the ps3 slim? thanks in advance!
bknewtype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010   #2
Staff
Sounds like a drive issue, you can try a lens cleaner (only cost a few dollars or so). If that doesn't work, you can manually replace the drive with one from the internet (ebay or various mod sites), OR you can send it in to Sony to get it fixed/replaced.
Shak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010   #3
"The New Guy"
thanks for the reply. my co worker has already used the lens cleaner and that didnt work, so im guessing it is the drive issue. would sony have a problem with me sending it back with the warranty up and no receipt? do you know how much they would typically charge? also there shoudl be guides that teach me how to open up the ps3 and replace the drive right? thanks!
Old 09-07-2010   #4
Staff
They won't have a problem with the console being out of warranty as long as you pay their fee. the YLOD fix is $150, I'm not sure about the drive fix but it should be less.

There are guides showing you how to take the PS3 apart, if you google gilsky's YLOD fix, that is pretty in-depth in taking the PS3 apart. There are also a few guides on Youtube you can use.

Hope that helps, and I hope you get your PS3 fixed.

Also guys, be sure to enter our contest, free stuff is the best :) no matter what it is:

http://www.ps3center.net/news/4616/p...y-zen-studios/
Old 19-07-2010   #5
"The New Guy"
heres a little update:

i strongly believe it was the lens of the blu ray player, so i ordered a replacement from ebay and i set everything up, and now the problem is that when i insert a cd, it doesnt read it at all. i swapped the replacement out and put my old one back in, and its doing the same thing. is there anything i could have done wrong while trying to put it back together that would have caused this? anything is hould look for? thanks
Old 20-07-2010   #6
Staff
Hey,

Try watching this video, specifically around the 4 minute mark. I'm assuming that's where you may have gone wrong. You need to remove the board off your damaged BD-drive, and put it on the new one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qztw_aUBQhI
Old 20-07-2010   #7
"The New Guy"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shak View Post
Hey,

Try watching this video, specifically around the 4 minute mark. I'm assuming that's where you may have gone wrong. You need to remove the board off your damaged BD-drive, and put it on the new one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qztw_aUBQhI
im currently at work so youtube is blocked off, so ill check it tonight, thanks!

but by board, do you mean the deck that holds the lens? i replaced that whole unit. i honestly feel if i did something wrong, it would have been from maybe damaging the wires that powers the lens or something similar to that, but lets hope not. but again i will watch the video when i am off work and thanks again for the tip.
Old 20-07-2010   #8
"The New Guy"
ok i watched the video. have a few questions. the drive does not look like the one i have, and my drive does not have the black/red connector he was talking about. my ps3 unit is a cechp01 unit.
Old 20-07-2010   #9
Staff
Well he said that there are minor differences between the versions of PS3s, so maybe you need to get a drive that is from the same model? I'm assuming that all the wires fit in the new drive? Also, there should be a power cable (which allows the drive to suck the game in, and the other wire (may not be the same color) which connects to the PS3 motherboard that allows the PS3 to read the disc.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else it could be. You could take it to a electronics repair store and get it looked at, and as a last resort if nothing else works, if you put it all together, Sony may still fix it for a price.
Old 29-07-2010   #10
"The New Guy"
I have recently bought a PSP and what bothers me is that sometimes the games are reset or not loaded after recharging again. The store clerk mentioned the problem when I was buying it and sort of accepted that it's an existing bug for PSP. What I have to do is to restore the original settings and then load the images in Memory Stick of Videos. Is that a regular behavior for other PSPs?
snohomish landscaping
snohomish is offline   Reply With Quote