Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > PlayStation Chat > PlayStation 3 Discussion
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 20-11-2009   #1
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
Should games ALWAYS be 60 bucks?

Was thinking about this lately...should games always be 60 bucks?

Was thinking because lately you notice alot of games are having "sales" that are boosting their sales. For example Brutal Legen and COD MW2 both dropped to 40 bucks for a while, Ratchet dropped to 50 for a while etc...and sales climbed. Amazon just had a deal on Ratchet where it was 40 bucks, that sale lasted 15 minutes before they were out of stock.

So what im saying is certain games shouldnt be 60 bucks because they are not certain types of games and i think some games could use a lower price. Something competing with a new name could come out at 40 bucks. An FPS that wanted to combat COD this November could of done it.

On the other hand is releasing at a lower price stating your game isnt that good?

Its been tried and has been succesful before. ESPN Football came out at 30 bucks and was selling better than Madden. It was a good football game to say the least, but i would of never touched it if it wasnt cheaper. If they would of released the next one at 60 bucks i would of still bought it.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009   #2
PCN Addict
PSN ID: treDIDDY97
if only i kne MW2 dropped to 40 buck :(

PS3: It only does everything
trediddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009   #3
SuperStaff
Wasnt here, it was in another region where FPS doesnt do well i believe

Unless you got it at Walmart or Amazon, then it was only like 35
Old 20-11-2009   #4
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
Considering the nice fat profit game companies can make off a single game (well let's says it costs $5 to make the game, disc, case, etc and $25 ends up going to the publisher with the rest going to retail markup, $25 a copy in profit, sell just 100,000 copies and you have 2.5 million in revenue), heck yes, they are complaining, oh game development costs are going up, well how about not making shovelware that wastes money and go complain to your mommy, you made profits before and you still can now, just not enough to go swimming in a pool of bills. This especially applies here as game costs are around $70 for some games despite the fact the Canadian $ is almost equal to the American $ and it's the companies that publish the games that are doing this, the PlayStation 3 itself is the same price Canadian as American.
Old 20-11-2009   #5
SuperStaff
A good point i saw about DLC is that download prices never change. They never change because nobody needs to clean out a warehouse and nobody needs to get the few bucks back they spent on making the disc. After one sell you cover your server cost and cost of uploading, and your nothing but profit after taht. Thus why would you lower the price?

Its just something to look into on how greedy these companies can be if we go download only.
Old 20-11-2009   #6
1337 Sauce
I know I bought the new Rachet the day it came out and then a couple days later it dropped to $49.99 I was pretty upset about that....
saxxon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009   #7
PCN Senior
PSN ID: xEN7xASSASSINx
i think they should get say 'average' gamers to play through the story, and see how long it takes! and price it on that, plus how many maps are included in multiplayer <this sounds dumb, but im sick of paying for games that last like 5 hours in single player
Old 20-11-2009   #8
SuperStaff
Kinda like blue book with cars. They could just have a "suggested retail price" but the company can do whatever they want when selling it.
Old 20-11-2009   #9
PCN Master
PSN ID: Dipchit02
the whole reason for the 60 dollars over 50 is because of development costs but a game like MAG or MW2 costs alot more to develop than another guitar hero or sports game does because the models are pretty much the same every year and just roster updates. so NO i do not think that they should all be 60 bucks but like new IPs or games that have alot into them like a MW or most war games should be
Dipchit02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009   #10
PCN Senior
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipchit02 View Post
the whole reason for the 60 dollars over 50 is because of development costs but a game like MAG or MW2 costs alot more to develop than another guitar hero or sports game does because the models are pretty much the same every year and just roster updates. so NO i do not think that they should all be 60 bucks but like new IPs or games that have alot into them like a MW or most war games should be
agreed but even with those development costs, they are still exceeding waaay beyond that in profit, be the games $60 or less.. its greed mw2 only get away with it because of the multiplayer
Old 20-11-2009   #11
PCN Master
PSN ID: m0tl3ysl4y3r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipchit02 View Post
I agree with u

I was reading somewhere, I think it was on thises forums that the only reason why a game like Halo ODST was sold for $60 was because they wanted to put a game out, but wasn't even worth putting on a disc
they should not have charged like $60 for ODST
I can see something like MW2 or MAG being $60 due to the time it took to develop them but games that don't take as much time/effort to develop should be more in the $40-$50 dollar range
Old 20-11-2009   #12
PCN Addict
PSN ID: glen421
Like why is Madden $60 bucks? Also you could make a case that MW2 and ODST are the same as both have short campaigns and an indepth multiplayer experience (well maybe not since ODST reeally just re-released previous maps).

The problem I have is that I am more of a single campaign kinda of gamer. I don't have time to put into the multiplayer/online gaming to be competitive. So when the ODST's and MW2's sell millions of copies in the first week. I think other devs will look at this and say "Why should we break our backs on the single player campaign when alll you need is about 5-6hrs single player and some multiplayer. Then slap a $60.00 price tag on it and your done. The money starts rolling in.

That' why I welcome story driven and platform games like R&C, UCII, and Heay Rain etc.. Don't get me wrong MAG is probably worth $60 bucks but I also purchased SOCOM for the PS3 and only played it once.
glen421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009   #13
Staff
PSN ID: ExcelBeyond
First, I don't necessarily think that a games length should have anything to do with it's price. Length doesn't equate quality. A 4 hour Seven Samurai is just as good as a 2 hour Fight Club, and they both go for the same price.

That being said, I think devs should be more bold with their pricing. For example, EA must've known that there wasn't that much hype for a game like Brutal Legend - why not chop the price a bit to push more sales? Plus, you increase the potential audience for DLC and you also extend the brand name.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009   #14
1337 Sauce
Quote:
Originally Posted by glen421 View Post
Like why is Madden $60 bucks? Also you could make a case that MW2 and ODST are the same as both have short campaigns and an indepth multiplayer experience (well maybe not since ODST reeally just re-released previous maps).

The problem I have is that I am more of a single campaign kinda of gamer. I don't have time to put into the multiplayer/online gaming to be competitive. So when the ODST's and MW2's sell millions of copies in the first week. I think other devs will look at this and say "Why should we break our backs on the single player campaign when alll you need is about 5-6hrs single player and some multiplayer. Then slap a $60.00 price tag on it and your done. The money starts rolling in.

That' why I welcome story driven and platform games like R&C, UCII, and Heay Rain etc.. Don't get me wrong MAG is probably worth $60 bucks but I also purchased SOCOM for the PS3 and only played it once.
I agree with you totally, I'm not big on the online thing (could be because I've never done it) but I prefer a long single-player campaign to all this online stuff. I just love a good story and it taking me a good 15 to 20hrs. to complete it like MGS4 for an example...
saxxon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009   #15
SuperStaff
The thing with COD MW2 is that there are ALOT of other things people are completely ignoring. For starters why did people love COD4? Wasnt the campeign, it was the online. So what did IW HAVE to perfect in order to have people love MW2? The online, nothing else. They could of just done that and threw together a peice of crap campeign of nothing but ambushes and boring repetitive features like World at War, but they didnt.

Not only that but Spec Ops is friggin awesome, its what Insomniac was trying to do with Resistance 2 and I love it. They didnt have to do that at all, yet they did to make us happy with something new. They did all of this in 2 years to meet a schedule, if you give them 5 or 6 years like Killzone 2 then its a whole differnt story. Thats when we get a 10 hour campeign and other features. Let alone it may be short but its probably the most badass 5 hours i ever played...

With that being said MW2 is a game that should be 60 dollars because of the effort they put in and the time you will be spending with the game.

Meanwhile ODST is the complete opposite. they did nothing creative, nothing new, nothing mind blowing. All it was is a namebrand on the box that costs fanboys 60 bucks to brag about.

then you have online only games...what justifies those being full price? Sony did release Socom at 40 instead of 60 which is fair, but i doubt other companies will follow through with that.

Im just saying
1 Its a good marketing strategy for new games. Like nick said, if Brutal Legen was 30-40 bucks i would of gotten it.
2 Not all games should be 60 bucks. You could argue "well its business if you dont want it dont buy it" but how do we know if we want it if we never buy it? How was i supposed to know COD would only last me 5 hours since i have no internet or gaming buddies to tell me before hand? (just an example)
3 They have to realise your selling a product more tahn an entertainment medium in a way. If you want to beat your competing product then you under slash their price.

Movies do it all the time. If you go on Tuesdays the day a movie comes out, its 5-20 dollars cheaper than if you wait a week or two to buy it.

Last edited by Dustin S.; 20-11-2009 at 07:22 PM..
Old 20-11-2009   #16
PCN Senior
well i still wouldnt say $60 for MW2 because personally i find it fun and all but overall it just seems like an oversized map pack/add-on for cod 4 to me, but at the same time i cant complain because i have/am enjoying it and i got it for ?26 lol duno what that is in dollars but its pretty cheap for a game here
Old 22-11-2009   #17
PCN Master
PSN ID: Dipchit02
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0tl3sl4y3r View Post
I agree with u

I was reading somewhere, I think it was on thises forums that the only reason why a game like Halo ODST was sold for $60 was because they wanted to put a game out, but wasn't even worth putting on a disc
they should not have charged like $60 for ODST
I can see something like MW2 or MAG being $60 due to the time it took to develop them but games that don't take as much time/effort to develop should be more in the $40-$50 dollar range
i believe that when they originally announced ODST it was supposed to be 40 bucks but Micro$oft said no it is 60 deal with it and buy it cuz it is halo
Dipchit02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2009   #18
SuperStaff
It was originally DLC for Halo 3 to be released via Xbox Live.
Old 24-11-2009   #19
"The New Guy"
games that cost too much money suck majorly. thats why i only buy cheap games
PS3Freebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009   #20
PCN Addict
PSN ID: treDIDDY97
when you say that do u mean cheap games from the time they come out or when prices go down

PS3: It only does everything
trediddy is offline   Reply With Quote