Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > PlayStation Chat > PlayStation 3 Discussion > Technical Support
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 27-09-2007   #1
PCN Addict
PSN ID: AdventOfAnarchy
Wi-Fi?

Can someone help me with Wi-Fi?

I want to play games online but no DSL or Cable Broadband is available in my area. Can I still use Wi-Fi (excuse the stupid questions)?

Do I need a ISP? If so how much does something like that cost?

What kind of hardware would I need? How much would that cost?

I do know that there is different kinds of Wi-Fi (something like that), what kind would I need for gaming?

Sorry for such dumb questions, I have tried finding out the info on my own but never found very much of the info to be helpful.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

"I am wearing my safety goggles, that is how serious I am about this game."
lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2007   #2
Ace of Moderators
PSN ID: AcesHigh113
well, you need a wireless router because Wi-Fi doesnt go for a long distance. and to get a wireless rounter to work decently you would probably need cable. or DSL. so sorry to tell you that. its pretty much the only thing.
Old 28-09-2007   #3
1337 Sauce
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd View Post
Can someone help me with Wi-Fi?

I want to play games online but no DSL or Cable Broadband is available in my area. Can I still use Wi-Fi (excuse the stupid questions)?

Do I need a ISP? If so how much does something like that cost?

What kind of hardware would I need? How much would that cost?

I do know that there is different kinds of Wi-Fi (something like that), what kind would I need for gaming?

Sorry for such dumb questions, I have tried finding out the info on my own but never found very much of the info to be helpful.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

there are some things you can do. what state do you live in first off, any are u sure they dont have dsl or cable internet.

um there are some mobile companies that allow you to get internet access using a laptop via a network card that connects to the cell towers. what im thinking is you could turn ur lappy into a router and connect the ps3 to it that way.

i wouldnt know the technicalities of how to do it, but that is one possibility.

as for costs i know the cable we pay for here in so cal (Time warner "Road Runner" brand cable internet) is something like 30-40 bucks a month. i wouldnt know what the cell phone companies charge, but you can bet its at least 50 bucks plus the cost of the card (which will be more then normal).

um, i would call your cable or satellite provider, they usually offer some internet/phone/tv services and usually you can get some discounts if you have more then 1 service.

as for what type for gaming cable internet would be better, this just means it connects using the same cord as your cable instead of a phone cord. as for the "type" of internet and wifi that would all be determined by your router. go with a dlink (they have some gaming brand ones), and just keep in mind that the ps3 uses "G" and the psp uses "B" (G includes B, also might look into the "N" standard, it is the newer one 10x faster and includes G, B, and N).

if you have any more questions just email or pm me.

-nabokovfan87

Last edited by nabokovfan87; 28-09-2007 at 09:49 PM..
nabokovfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2007   #4
PCN Senior
what i did was get a high speed internet jack installed in my house, which was about 89.25, but thats just bellsouth price, it might be different somewhere else, but anyway take that and stick it into a router which is about a good sixty dollars, and wa-la you have wifi.
Mr. 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2007   #5
PCN Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabokovfan87 View Post
there are some things you can do. what state do you live in first off, any are u sure they dont have dsl or cable internet.

um there are some mobile companies that allow you to get internet access using a laptop via a network card that connects to the cell towers. what im thinking is you could turn ur lappy into a router and connect the ps3 to it that way.

i wouldnt know the technicalities of how to do it, but that is one possibility.

as for costs i know the cable we pay for here in so cal (Time warner "Road Runner" brand cable internet) is something like 30-40 bucks a month. i wouldnt know what the cell phone companies charge, but you can bet its at least 50 bucks plus the cost of the card (which will be more then normal).

um, i would call your cable or satellite provider, they usually offer some internet/phone/tv services and usually you can get some discounts if you have more then 1 service.

as for what type for gaming cable internet would be better, this just means it connects using the same cord as your cable instead of a phone cord. as for the "type" of internet and wifi that would all be determined by your router. go with a dlink (they have some gaming brand ones), and just keep in mind that the ps3 uses "G" and the psp uses "B" (G includes B, also might look into the "N" standard, it is the newer one 10x faster and includes G, B, and N).

if you have any more questions just email or pm me.

-nabokovfan87

I live in a rural area in Missouri, not much here within 30-40 miles. I'm sure there is no broadband internet available in my area I check every 6 months or so.

I've got a desktop.

I can get internet through my satellite provider, but if I understand it correctly, satellite internet would be too lagy for serious gaming.

Last edited by lloyd; 30-09-2007 at 05:52 PM..
Old 30-09-2007   #6
1337 Sauce
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd View Post
I live in a rural area in Missouri, not much here within 30-40 miles. I'm sure there is no broadband internet available in my area I check every 6 months or so.

I've got a desktop.

I can get internet through my satellite provider, but if I understand it correctly, satellite internet would be too lagy for serious gaming.
not sure if it would be laggy, i hear it isnt. try and find some customers or something, i would have no idea of where to look or i would help you out.

what is your cable provider? and have they given you a timeframe of the installation for their dsl/cable lines? usually they will.
nabokovfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2007   #7
PCN Senior
your cable provider can do it, but sali... i think is the best choice, it would not bot be to lagging
Old 01-10-2007   #8
PCN Addict
I've got a ma & pa ISP. So I don't see them installing DSL/Cable.

Old 02-10-2007   #9
PCN Senior
so what are you going to do
Old 02-10-2007   #10
PCN Addict
Satellite has too much lag.... no DSl/Cable......... the only thing I can do................ Peanut butter jelly time Peanut butter jelly time hay aw hay aw, Peanut butter jelly time Peanut butter jelly time!!!!

Don't see that there's much too do.

Old 02-10-2007   #11
PCN Senior
lol, you really are crazy..........oh well..........Peanut butter jelly time Peanut butter jelly time
Old 03-10-2007   #12
PCN Addict
Thank you .................................................. ... Peanut butter jelly time Peanut butter jelly time

Old 03-10-2007   #13
PCN Senior
No thank you.......Peanut butter jelly time Peanut butter jelly time