Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > General Chat > Off Topic
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 31-08-2009   #1
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
Disney buys Marvel...

Cant believe Disney just bought Marvel for 4 billion dollars...Its a good and bad thing i guess. Good for Marvel, they get some money and get into a bigger company.

However there are so many bad things i can think of. Marvel itself will just be a subsidery to Disney. Disney is most likely going to slowly destroy anything mature like Marvel Zombies, or the little comics that dont sell or become movies. Then my biggest gripe is how hard its going to be to get with Marvel at all.

To be honest i never liked Marvel business wise anyways, but at least they were not all closed doors to new talent. Now they are apart of hollywood which not only shut the door, but seals it, and has secury guards around it. You could argue "well DC has been with Warner" but Warner stepped back and let DC do their own thing, so DC is still open to talent and what not, Disney is most likely not going to do that. Just look what happened when they took over Pixar.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009   #2
PCN Content Provider
PSN ID: Y2DAZZ
Kinda awsome news for theme park fans, now you'll see Mickey Mouse, Darth Vader and SPIDERMAN around Disney World.

I just kinda wonder now what this means for the games and movies? Will they now be published by Bunea Vista?
Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009   #3
PCN Addict
PSN ID: treDIDDY97
aww man will this ruin all the marvel movies
urghh cuz disney is kinda like kids stuff

PS3: It only does everything
trediddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009   #4
SuperStaff
No Sony retains rights to their current contract for Spiderman, they already have 4 and 5 in the works. They keep publishing and distrubitng rights to the movies. Paramount retains rights to the Avengers, Captain America, Thor, Hulk, and Iron Man 2 but Disney wants to publish the DVD's and what not so who knows there. Other than that, whatever isn't already being made, or has a contract with another studio, will now be made by Disney...

I was thinking today...so much for another Punisher movie. Seems like that is no longer a possibility.

As for Disney Land that would be kinda cool, get some Marvel themed rides too maybe a coaster?
Old 31-08-2009   #5
PCN Addict
PSN ID: treDIDDY97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin S. View Post
No Sony retains rights to their current contract for Spiderman, they already have 4 and 5 in the works. They keep publishing and distrubitng rights to the movies. Paramount retains rights to the Avengers, Captain America, Thor, Hulk, and Iron Man 2 but Disney wants to publish the DVD's and what not so who knows there. Other than that, whatever isn't already being made, or has a contract with another studio, will now be made by Disney...

I was thinking today...so much for another Punisher movie. Seems like that is no longer a possibility.

As for Disney Land that would be kinda cool, get some Marvel themed rides too maybe a coaster?
Good

yea it would be cool to maybe have an avengers ride or sumthing

PS3: It only does everything
trediddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2009   #6
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
Disney isn't all kids stuff, you just don't realize it because they don't use the Disney name, they use ABC and Touchstone so people don't realize it's Disney actually behind it all, Disney has even released several R rated movies in it's history, under the names Touchstone, Miramax and Hollywood Pictures.
Old 31-08-2009   #7
SuperStaff
I know its not all kids movies, but being i want to be in the industry i pay attention to Disney. You have to think all these characters now have to be portrayed the way Disney wants them to be. If they want an R rated Wolverine you get it, but its most likely not going to be. Instead they are probably going to take the main characters and make them more audience approved for the theme parks and what not.

The only thing im really made about is like i said, at least with Marvel the door was semi open for you to step in. Now that its Disney/Marvel the gates have been sealed, the no names have been shoved outside, and all the big wigs get their hands on everything at free will. Who knows though, maybe it will be like WB and DC, WB makes all the DC movies but every single one has been amazing because they are not shoving 50 movies out in a year.

Also remember Disney is the ones behind the Pirate of the Carribean, one of my favorite trilogies.
Old 31-08-2009   #8
PCN Content Provider
I was just about to say exactly what X Racer said, if Disney want to make an more graphic comic with the Marvel Licence then they'll publish it under Touchstone or something. I dobut we'll ever see a 18/R rated Marvel movie but comics and games we probably will.
Old 01-09-2009   #9
SuperStaff
According to some recent updates. Fox retains rights to Xmen, but it only lists Wolverine as an actual character "Fox has rights to the xmen and Wolverine" So idk what that means for their "origins" films coming out soon.

As for video games Disney has stated that it wants to do some in house projects, but companies will retain rights for the time being. When it comes time to renew licenses for certain games, Disney will negotiate or see what happens. Thats for things like Activisions Marvel Ultimate Alliance, based on Marvels Civil War. Im wondering if Spiderman will appear in Kingdom Hearts 3 haha.

They also stated that Pixar and Marvel studios are already at work on collaberating ideas to make a animated film. This should be cool, keep it away from the stupid anime adaptations Marvel keeps doing. No offense to Anime.

This also leads us to TV which it was kind of eery to me. They said that Disney XD or Jetix forget which one, is the channel for boys that already has 80 percent of Marvel cartoons anyways so they will continue to enforce the channel with that or completely create a new channel dedicated to Marvel. However they didnt state if current shows and channels retain rights. Things like my favore Spiderman show that is going on a new season soon on WB and Cartoon Network, will it stay with CN or will Disney take it away and put it on a channel i dont get? Also in question is Nickelodeons new Wolverine Show, Nick and Disney are true rivals and im sure Disney would love nothing more than to take one of their highest rated cartoons from them. Nicktoons and Boom (CN's other channel) also air a ton of Marvel shows, CN has a whole couple hours every weekend dedicated to comic book cartoons of both DC and Marvel, what will happen to that? Hopefully nothing. However DC characters have shows too so im not completely worried, i just dont want to see Spiderman and wolverine leave their respective channels.
Old 02-09-2009   #10
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
I'm sure Nickelodeon has a tight contract on that show, so unless Disney is willing to pay out the money to break it (which is just as counter-productive since they are paying their rivals), I doubt anything will move too much, although down the road things will definitely change, same applies here though, in Canada, generally if anything Marvel is played it's played on Teletoon, since the channel is 24 hours a day of animated series but here's the thing, although it's not actually called Disney Channel and due to Canadian laws needs Canadian content hence it doesn't air all Disney programming, Family Channel basically is the the Canadian Disney Channel and even weirder did at one point air episodes of Spiderman, with the new Disney deal, it might end Teletoon having the rights to the programs and them shifting back over to Family. From the sounds of it though, the Disney wording simply sounds to me like this "We have outstanding contracts, we ain't breaking them, but when the time comes for it to end, don't expect a renewal".
Old 02-09-2009   #11
SuperStaff
Cartoon Network is the same thing as Teletoon. I think Total Drama Action even started on Teletoon? Its on CN now. Either way, its Cartoons all day. They have a contract with WB (now the CW) to take the cartoons that channels premiers on Saturdays and put them as series on CN. So shows like Spiederman (which in this case is still owned by Sony) air on Cartoon Network all the time.

However Disney here also plays Spiderman, but its the old Spiderman that CN doesnt have rights to. At the same time you have to remember DC and WB are still sitting there with their shows (batman, justice league, Superman and friends etc...) that are easily rivaling and destroying Marvel cartoons up till now so Disney NEEDS to keep fighting that, nd moving all these shows to one channel would mess it up. Not only that Nick, CN, and all these other channels must be paying for their rights, so in the end of the day would it be worth it to take em away?
Old 02-09-2009   #12
PCN Content Provider
Nowt wrong with Anime Dustin, the only problem is with it is because it's soo popular AMERICAN studios have decided to rip that off and make, what I call, American Anime like the new Batman and Spiderman stuff... which just looks terrible.

Sounds cool that Pixar and Marvel are working on something, I thought about that last night, I wonder what they'll do? Maybe if Disney do the live action films they'll do the CG? Or you reckon ILM, whom have done most Marvel effects, will still do them.
Old 02-09-2009   #13
SuperStaff
Pixar is most likely going to put Marvel into their 1 movie a year rotation. As far as i know Pixar is purely animated films, they dont really do special effects or anything of that nature for actual films. So in my opinion, Disney will more than likely stick with ILM as they are still one of the best special effects studios.

As for anime it wasn't really buging me that much until DC released that stupid Batman Gotham Night i think it was called, 5 episodes of anime and they called it a movie...I got it just because i love Batman watched it and was the first time i was thinking "wtf was that?" to a batman show. I think there was one episode i thought was kinda cool, but the rest just no. This is American cartoons, dont try making them Japanese or whatever. Now Wolverine Anime...looks decent...but seriously?
Old 02-09-2009   #14
PCN Content Provider
Gotham Night was alright, it sorta suited the tone of Batman, I was thinking more along the lines of THE Batman and Batman: Brave and the Bold.

The Wolverine Anime they announced, which is actually made by a Japanese studio, doesn't looks like Wolverine at all, just some dude with claws. Although the Iron Man anime looks pretty damn impressive.
Old 02-09-2009   #15
SuperStaff
The Batman i liked, the tone of it and what not was suiting well for batman, while it was no where near the 90's show at all. Batman Brave and Bold is more of an attempt to go back to classics, classic animation style, with the goofier friendly Batman (like he was actually intended to be). Gotham Night just sucked to me, the story telling was too off and way too dark, the designs were hard to like, and just certain things they did i didnt like. I give anime props for what they do with details and animation and what not, but thats not why i like American Cartoons.

Wolverine is alright, not the best, IronMan anime was terrible from the preview i saw at comic con...Not as bad as Iron Man on Nickelodeon but pretty damn bad. Like i said i didnt and dont like the way marvel is run as a company right now, hopefully Disney changes it. To be honest DC was kicking their butts for the past few years, after Civil War Marvel had nothing to combat the idea's DC had etc... Marvel decided "hey lets reprint old comics and charge extra for them!" while DC goes another route "hey lets add 10 page previews to another story at the end and charge an extra dollar"
Old 03-09-2009   #16
SuperStaff
Sorry double posting

I just read Paramounts Press Release regarding it and they listed what the fifth film will be. They are already planning Iron Man 3 lol.
Old 04-09-2009   #17
PCN Master
PSN ID: Dipchit02
I really think that Disney just wanted it to make the movies because they saw how well they were doing but there kinda has to be more than just movies. but it will be interesting to see what happens
Dipchit02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #18
SuperStaff
That is true, Disney is really good at making something more than one product. for example the Disney Channel, you notice everyone is an actor and Singer, or does something else for them to make money elsehwere.

For Marvel they will more than likely explore into other characters, see what sparks, and turn that into movies, TV, and merchandise or some mini series or whatever. I was reading that Disney is basically going to screw everyone when their contracts are up as they keep stating "when that time comes we will deal with it" so in all likelyhood they will say "well this character is doing well, pay us more or say goodbye" then Spiderman 6 is Disney instead of Sony. Not saying it will happen, but the opportunity is there.

Im just wondering what they will do to help the comic industry. Being Disney they can easily get it more widespread, put it in more major stores, and blend it in more easily. They could make them "cool" again with free comercials on their channels and what not. "You like the spiderman cartoon? Check out the comics! "