Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > PlayStation Chat > PlayStation 3 Discussion
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 07-11-2009   #1
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
New Ads Showing up

We have had the ad debate in games a few times here, but recently Sony has introduced a rather controversial ad system into WipeOut HD. Recently an update was pushed out to the game 2.10 that introduces loading screen ads similar to TV commercials, now this isn't new to US gamers, it was introduced in an earlier update but pulled due to technical problems and this update seems to be currently only affecting people in Europe but it brings the question, at what point will we draw the line for advertising in games.
Old 07-11-2009   #2
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
Its only during loading screens? Then its not an issue...Zune HD throws an ad at you whenever it loads an app, but its not really taking extra time to load or anything.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009   #3
PCN Master
Well the problem here is it is causing the load times to be slower and unlike Zune where the games that came for free had picture ads which was understandable, these are full video ads for State Farm Insurance or other garbage and before you can do anything you have to watch the whole stupid commercial and we paid $20 for this and it was introduced after we bought the game. I mean at least with other games it billboards you just see in game and although I don't appreciate them I'll live with them.
Old 08-11-2009   #4
SuperStaff
I havent played it so i dont know exactly what it is. However Zune cycles ads (it installs new ads whenever you sync the device) and sometimes we get these crappy car ads that are 15 second commercials. It loads even when you open something simple, which usuelly takes like a second to open, but instead it takes the whole 15 seconds which gets annoying.
Old 08-11-2009   #5
PCN Master
Well I don't see them because Microsoft refuses to bring the Zune HD to Canada so I'm stuck with my 80GB Zune and no ad service is available up here for the Zune. You won't see the ads though if you update WipEout, it only seems to be affecting European users at the moment, again I can't be sure, I never had ads because of being in Canada.
Old 08-11-2009   #6
SuperStaff
The old Zune just used Visual basic programs as apps lol. These are just free apps that MS needed to make money to pay them back. Whats funny is on the box it says "FOR US ONLY" yet its not in Canada so i dont see why they are worrying about that.
Old 08-11-2009   #7
PCN Addict
PSN ID: treDIDDY97
these ads sound frustrating lol

PS3: It only does everything
trediddy is offline   Reply With Quote