Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > PlayStation Chat > PlayStation 3 Discussion
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 07-12-2008   #1
PCN Senior
DC Mortal Kombat = Midway Doom!!!

It was revealed last month that Midway's losses had doubled from 33.5 million to 76 million since September. The latest Midway game, DC vs Mortal Kombat was supposed to pull Midway out of the red. Instead, Sumner Redstone, the majority owner of Midway, has sold the company to an investor (Mark Thomas) for $100,000, or $0.0012 per share, along with the assumption of $70 million in debt. Midway shares dropped 13.16 percent, to $0.33 by the end of trading. Poor Midway now has less than six months to improve its standing in order to keeps its stocks listed. To do that, the company has to achieve the minimum closing price of $1 per share over 30 consecutive days!!! They're at 33 cents right now people!

What do you guys think? I for one think Midway, proud creators of NBA Jam on the SNES is going down!
EIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008   #2
That is sad. I was shocked about the sale, but I can't say that I didn't see it coming. Most of their recently released games haven't had much commercial success or been reviewed well. I just don't think the company successfully made the transition to 3d. I hope they will be able to stay in business and have success, but I just don't see it happening.
Old 08-12-2008   #3
MOD
PSN ID: sauberbmw
i dont think midway will fall. they need a push in the right direction but if they do fall well.... i saw it coming.
Sauberbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008   #4
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
I see them becoming a Sega basically. They were good back in the day but not anymore, they just didnt change with demand and no longer can compete at a high level. So we will see midway alongside other companies in developing average games with a few surprises that pop up every now and then. I dont think midway is GONE but wont be "around" any longer.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008   #5
PCN Senior
Huh, you guys are pretty optimistic eh?
I actually don't see Midway coming back up EVER. Who's gonna buy up someone with so much toxic debt? If their stock gets delisted, how will they have any capital to work with?
Old 10-12-2008   #6
Staff
PSN ID: ExcelBeyond
Mortal Kombat VS DC will help them pull a little... but even since you've posted, their stocks value has nose dived to $.20.

As a big MK fan, it will be sad if they go - especially with this new project they have going that's supposedly a graphic power house.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008   #7
MOD
PSN ID: sauberbmw
they would probably fan out to produce other things like graphics cards or something
Sauberbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008   #8
PCN Addict
PSN ID: AdventOfAnarchy
I agree with svalbard on them not making the transition to 3D. They should go back and make a simple 2D MK. it's their most popular series so it has better chances of pulling them out of the nasty hole they are in. I mean look at Street Fighter 4, it proves a 2D fighter can be huge, and I do believe there's still somewhat of a demand for a good MK game. But, it's probably too late for something like that, sadly.

"I am wearing my safety goggles, that is how serious I am about this game."
lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008   #9
PCN Senior
Well, as of this morning, Midway has cut 25% (180 peole) of its staff, and closed its studio based in Texas. Midway only has about 600 employees left, and has canceled several non-core franchise games that were scheduled for 2010 and 2011. Their stock has dropped 92% this year

Stock is still at 20 cents... little chance they're gonna make it over the 1 dollar mark to stay listed.
Mortal Kombat is facing a FATALITY
Old 17-12-2008   #10
1337 Sauce
PSN ID: INF3RNO132103
they're going to be kinda like Atari is now. Atari still exists but it has bounced around owners and hasn't really done much for some time now.
inferno1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2008   #11
PCN Senior
Well i saw it coming, as soon as i saw the not rated "m" logo on dc universe, but you never can only wait and see.
Mr. 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2008   #12
PCN Senior
Factor 5 is gone now too... sad sad times ahead for gaming
Old 22-12-2008   #13
1337 Sauce
PSN ID: INF3RNO132103
and now Free Radical...
inferno1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #14
PCN Master
PSN ID: SaintAvi
Midway was not that surprising to me, midway in my opinion has been synonymous with
mediocrity for a looong time now barring one or two exceptions
SaintAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009   #15
PCN Senior
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintAvi View Post
Midway was not that surprising to me, midway in my opinion has been synonymous with
mediocrity for a looong time now barring one or two exceptions
like...?

I agree with the mediocrity part though... I never took MK as a serious fighter, but their NBA JAM series was gold

Last edited by EIN; 07-01-2009 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 13-01-2009   #16
"The New Guy"
Yah, what do you expect when you take a mature game and dweebifiy it down to a teen rating?

That's like trying to make the next Terminator or Saw movie PG13.

Instead of making the fatalities a freaking joke, they should have just taken them out completely.

Hopefully they'll stick around long enough for a completely new MK with blood and gore (what carried them this entire time), so it sells well enough for them to get back on their feet.
fLoOn34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009   #17
PCN Senior
lol they're going at it again
http://www.ps3center.net/news/2208/m...-kombat-title/

When will Midway learn?!

Oh btw, as of right now their shares are at 0.24$... which is up 9% lol....
Old 29-01-2009   #18
1337 Sauce
PSN ID: Coheebria
Booom Shakalaka!!

NBA Jam = WIN

MK vs. DC = FAIL

you guys have said it all, and the public has said all it needs to say in not purchasing what is, at best, a mediocre fighter
Joshua is offline   Reply With Quote