Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > PlayStation Chat > PlayStation 3 Discussion
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 18-08-2009   #1
PCN Master
PSN ID: SaintAvi
Firmware 3.0 Detailed

Hey chaps, firmware 3.0 is official, the playstation blog has just posted a peek
of whats to come.

There isnt anything revolutionary there like firmware based ps2 emulation
but there are some neat new additions thatll bridge the gap between
offline and online content.

The official release reads
  • * ?What?s New? ? The ?Information Board? will be replaced with a ?What?s New? section, which allows you to enjoy interactive PlayStation news every time you start the PS3 system. Located under the PlayStation Network icon, ?What?s New? displays the latest and greatest game, video, PlayStation Network and PlayStation news and releases, as well as your recently played games, in a sleek, new animated format.
  • * Status Indicator ? In the top right corner we?ve added an indicator bar, which displays your user icon, friend icon, the number of friends you have online and a small message icon to let you know if you have any new messages. The indicator also includes a scrolling ticker that features the latest news from PlayStation Network. In addition, when you press the PS button, the battery life indicator will no longer cover up the clock.
  • * Friends List ? Now your PlayStation Network friends will appear in a slightly redesigned format on your Friends List. Also, messages will now be viewable from each of your friends? respective profiles.
  • * PlayStation Store Shortcuts ? We?ve added a handy shortcut icon to the PlayStation Store under both the Game and Video categories so you can access the latest content quickly and easily.
  • * Personalization ? Personalize your PS3 with new dynamic custom themes and avatars. Dynamic themes as well as free and premium avatars will be available through PlayStation Store. A dynamic theme takes your screen to a whole new level as it incorporates animated objects into the background.
  • * Trophies ? Showcasing your hard earned trophies just got better. Update 3.00 gives game developers the ability to modify how they display trophies for add-on content. Base and add-on game trophies will continue to be combined into a single list so you can see where you stand in a game as a whole. Within that list, trophies will be broken out into subcategories?base trophies and add-on trophies?that way, you can easily view the percentage of your base game trophy collection, and separately track your trophy progress in add-on packs. Look for this enhancement to be included in upcoming games.

Check the vid here

Last edited by SaintAvi; 18-08-2009 at 02:03 PM..
SaintAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009   #2
PCN Content Provider
PSN ID: Y2DAZZ
Bit of a shame that there's no BC yet, although saying that I do have a EU 60GB Launch one with about 80% BC... but would of liked to see it improve abit anyway
Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009   #3
PCN Master
The new dynamic themes look awesome but premium avatars...dont like that one.
Old 18-08-2009   #4
PCN Content Provider
I like the idea of the dynamic themes, haven't seen them yet myself, but yeah I agree about the premium avatars, but then again I'm against paying actual cash for any virtual item.
Old 18-08-2009   #5
PCN Master
Check the video, the dynamic theme there features sackboy
Old 18-08-2009   #6
PCN Content Provider
Just watched it. What the hell. When they said animated I was like expecting like something going 3 frames a second and 2D, that looked 3D and was moving very smoothly.

I hope they open that tool to the community to create some pretty damn unique themes.
Old 18-08-2009   #7
PCN Addict
PSN ID: treDIDDY97
the sackboy theme looks cool any exact date when we will be able to download this??

PS3: It only does everything
trediddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009   #8
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
Definitely some nice features, the themes being probably the best thing available and hopefully it's made available to everyone as we already have plenty of great themes thanks to the Internet and with those capabilities, creativity can go much further, not a fan of the news feed ticker, especially since currently I have my disabled since it's usually things I already know about and don't need annoying me. The new PlayStation Store shortcuts seem pointless, like I can't manage to get to the games store through the usual PlayStation Store link, after all it's two clicks instead of one. Premium avatars are another money grab for those who are willing to pay. The modifications to the trophy list though don't really change anything, so it's in categories, doesn't change the process of earning trophies or the fact some games now require you to buy the DLC to get the platinum trophy. Overall for being firmware 3.0 it's a bit of a let down, no new BC or cross game chat.
Old 18-08-2009   #9
PCN Content Provider
Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Racer1 View Post
The modifications to the trophy list though don't really change anything, so it's in categories, doesn't change the process of earning trophies or the fact some games now require you to buy the DLC to get the platinum trophy. Overall for being firmware 3.0 it's a bit of a let down, no new BC or cross game chat.
What? Sony have said that they will not allow developers to demand you to buy the DLC to get the Platinum.

And trediddy I think it comes at the exact same time as the new console. Sep 1st.
Old 18-08-2009   #10
PCN Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren View Post
What? Sony have said that they will not allow developers to demand you to buy the DLC to get the Platinum.

And trediddy I think it comes at the exact same time as the new console. Sep 1st.
cool.

Old 18-08-2009   #11
PCN Master
PSN ID: Xtreme8888
Well I have had a few friends who own games that they have said will not award them platinum since DLC patches came out for their games, now to be honest, since their games I don't own I can't confirm that and honestly I'm not sure, but I though I would throw it out there because honestly it sounds like something Activision or some other developers would do.
Old 18-08-2009   #12
PCN Content Provider
Quote:
Originally Posted by X_Racer1 View Post
Well I have had a few friends who own games that they have said will not award them platinum since DLC patches came out for their games, now to be honest, since their games I don't own I can't confirm that and honestly I'm not sure, but I though I would throw it out there because honestly it sounds like something Activision or some other developers would do.
lol tbh it does sound like something Activision will do.
Old 18-08-2009   #13
1337 Sauce
PSN ID: bharat4ever
but these animated themes will come at a price i guess? i don't think these themes will ever come free.
bharat4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009   #14
PCN Content Provider
I reckon some basic ones will be free, like that sparkle one. The LBP one I reckon will come at a price.
Old 18-08-2009   #15
PCN Master
PSN ID: m0tl3ysl4y3r
those are some pretty cool updates even without backwards compatibility yet
Old 18-08-2009   #16
PCN Addict
aww man i liked that LBP one hopefully it doesnt

Old 18-08-2009   #17
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
Some really awesome features but some of it left me wondering. For example the new themes, AWESOME IDEA, but how much are they going to cost? I know they will most likely be like 4 bucks....Then finally new avatars! Then he says "premium" avatars as well....come on.

Since I enjoy animating and what not, im hoping they allow users to create themes too. Would be kinda neat to do something of my own. I wonder if it can interact with the menu also? Like maybe you click video then Sackboy will pull down a screen and kick back on a chair, or you start browsing video games and he pulls out a controller and goes crazy. Things like that would be mind blowing.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009   #18
PCN Addict
PSN ID: glen421
Does anybody know (probably not since it isn't out yet) if this update is going to increase in MB on the RAM? In update 2.80 we discovered (via an interview with Naughty Dog) that Sony had saved space in the RAM. Basically is the 3.0 update going to take away performance for devs?
glen421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009   #19
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
Judging by what ive seen so far, it may. It wont take away RAM from the developers, im sure its controlled to an extent, but things like moving backgrounds take ram. You can do it on your PC, but it sucks down RAM (and keeps sucking down RAM if you dont do it right) like nothing. To me though this will be very minimal, like 2 percent used, unless devs go crazy. Like sack boy running isnt very much, but if they do the interactive thing like i said it might burst up a little now and then.

I say it wont take away from the devs because all this stuff will be set on the backburner when you boot up a game, so it wont be using anything at all. I think the only spike in usage will be during XMB viewing, it may consume more power too but IDK for sure, as you said its not out yet.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009   #20
PCN Master
PSN ID: Dipchit02
Dustin you can create your own themes now (im assuming you know that though) but it would be cool to add stuff like that or at least make it easier to make ur own theme like a graphical interface or something instead of just HTML. it will be interesting to see what happens
Dipchit02 is offline   Reply With Quote