Warning: mysql_query(): Access denied for user ''@'localhost' (using password: NO) in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 53

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in [path]/includes/template/index.php on line 54
Register Submit this form

Go Back   PS3Center.net Discussion Boards > General Chat > Design Center
Follow us on Twitter!
Connect with Facebook

User Name Yes! I'm over 13
   years old
Password
Confirm Pass Submit this form
Email Address
Confirm Email

Old 27-10-2009   #1
SuperStaff
PSN ID: soldierone
Anybody Good at Drawing

Anybody good with the pencil that dont mind helping out others? lol

Well Im getting back into it and I still cant draw people worth a damn. If im staring at a picture of someone, or looking at something I can draw it perfectly. Almost to the point of it looking like a tracing. That just doesnt feel right to me though.

So I go and try to draw my comic on my own. (note i have actual artists working on it, i just wanted to try something to show them an idea) However i fail miserbly. Obviously its entirely original so i have nothing to look at to base it on, no picture of batman or something to stare at and copy.

I do the whole stick figure, then circles and squares, then fill it in, then do the details and I cant do it properly. Its mainly the face...Given enough time ill get the muscles and other parts of the body done correctly to an extent, then the face looks like crap.

Another issue I have is proportions. I dont know how to get differnt views, how to make arms bigger smaller etc...I dont know how to give things depth correctly. Note I saw Stan Lee and Steve Ditko do the whole "draw lines of depth and field of vision" then you follow the lines and it gives it the right depth etc...But I want to know how you just do it on a given note.

Practice practice practice...I know. Ive been drawing for months now, and i cant get faces down lol, i need help in some way.

Just say this now because Ive gotten extremely interested in the game industry again and im thinking of switching from film to game design. Note ill still be a writer for either one on any given day, but i want to learn 3d really bad. and it starts by learning this.
Dustin S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2009   #2
PCN Addict
PSN ID: treDIDDY97
i have the same problem i really like drawing and i can look at something and draw it but i can draw without actually have something to look at

PS3: It only does everything
trediddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2009   #3
MOD
PSN ID: sauberbmw
i can draw, without having to look at it, and i am a pretty good drwer but i cant draw people worth my life
Sauberbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2009   #4
SuperStaff
Do you have any tips on how to draw things? Ive been practicing and im getting better, I can at least draw people without them looking like complete crap now. I still look at things though...I really badly want to get away from that. I just want to be able to pull out a peice of paper, think of something, then draw it.
Old 28-10-2009   #5
PCN Addict
yea me to like sometimes im at school and i got nothin to do in class so i get paper but i cant draw nothin in my mind lol

Old 30-10-2009   #6
SuperStaff
Haha ive done that everyday this week
Old 30-10-2009   #7
Staff
PSN ID: ExcelBeyond
Yea, I'm not bad at drawing stuff, I can just think of nothing original to draw lol
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2009   #8
SuperStaff
got anything in regards to tips? lol
Old 31-10-2009   #9
PCN Addict
all i can say is practice makes perfect maybe u can check on deviantart but i dont know if they have forums but if they do there are some really good drawings there

Old 31-10-2009   #10
SuperStaff
I read tutorials and such all the time, Im getting better at drawing but i cant draw on my own. For example to draw a person ill need to look up a pose that i need then draw it, change it into what i need etc...I couldnt even draw my own comic for a while haha.
Old 31-10-2009   #11
"The New Guy"
i am more of a vehicle / environment sketcher....so can't really help you with people...maybe this dvd can help

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/sto...-Stephen-Platt

here's a rough sketch i did when i was bored...using perspective lines...done in pen

Last edited by gaf; 31-10-2009 at 02:23 PM..
gaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2009   #12
PCN Addict
nice!

Old 31-10-2009   #13
"The New Guy"
i have a tip...maybe you could my an action figure, and the pose it in various poses and try to recreate any angles you are having difficulty with, then you will be able to see what it should look like....

also what you could to is take pictures of it from different perspectives and really study how it works...

for angled heads you should draw a cube and uild the head withing it....and place guidelines in areas of importance....and follow tem around the cube....eyeline, base of the nose and mouth line etc
Old 31-10-2009   #14
SuperStaff
Now thats a really good tip, thank you! Im gonna try it here in a sec, ill post what I get out of it.

That drawing is brilliant, just wow haha. Are you gonna color it?
Old 01-11-2009   #15
"The New Guy"
Nah, i tried colouring it once and it looked bad...so i just keep it plain...here's another...this is when i was testing out perspective drawings....(the one above was 2 point perspective).

this is 1-point perspective

and this is 3-point perspective
Old 01-11-2009   #16
SuperStaff
Are you an architect? Those are really good.
Old 01-11-2009   #17
"The New Guy"
not an architect...but i did learn car design in university....and got some tips from there....and using perspective lines make things better
Old 01-11-2009   #18
SuperStaff
Do you use perspective lines for car design too? Ive been interested in that as well. I like watching guys like chip Foose do his drawings, its just awesome.
Old 01-11-2009   #19
PCN Senior
PSN ID: xEN7xASSASSINx
i used to love drawing! i always muck up on hands and sometimes feet though :( never get the finger placement right or the feet are never even lol
Old 01-11-2009   #20
PCN Addict
anyone know of any art classes here in california